The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Letang is top pair right shot D and will be UFA this summer

7 hours ago, tan said:

Can we sign him 7milx3years? Will JR call him/his agent? 

top 4 will be cup contender caliber

Letang Hughs

Myers OEL 

We would be crazy to sign Latang 35 yrs old April 27th..We are not ready to compete with Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesoda, Blues.. We are already up against cap..

We need to trade Miller for big return and stay away from his 8.5 million X 6 yrs deal he will want..

We need young RD man under 23 and a few good prospect , draft pick...

No signing old players to ridiculous contract just crazy...

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I had this thought a while back as well. Maybe Letang would want to refresh his career, and play his last few years on a young up and coming Canucks team in beautiful BC. Reconnect with JR, Allvin and Clancey. Play where Luc Bourdon (his best friend at the time) started his career. 

I like the idea of:

OEL - Letang

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - ??

Burroughs

I think Myers has to be traded. Any chance (RD) Brady Keeper gets a shot next season? 

maybe he'd rather win another cup with Sid + Gino

why would he want to come to Vancouver and struggle in a place his dead buddy played 10 games?

the thought process around here is really mind boggling

Vancouver probably rates higher than Arizona and Buffalo in his books

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pittsburgh won't be much of a contender if they lose both Letang and Malkin.  They would become a mid table club.  

That trio is going nowhere as long as they keep winning games.  Or rather, they should be going nowhere.  The goal for the Penguins is pretty clear - keep trying to win until they retire.

11 hours ago, mll said:

Patrick Johnson after his discussion with Allvin believes they'll do their possible to move Myers this off-season.

where did you see this? its not in the province article 

6 hours ago, mll said:

The problem with this is you then have to find suitable replacements for less money elsewhere. So you move out Myers and his contract. What then ? The UFA market is unlikely to yield bargains and long-term solutions in the trade market will be costly as well. You want to throw 4 X 5.0 at Manson or whatever his cost ends up at ? Miller ? Gudbranson ? Guys like Letang/Klingberg are not going to be cheap/short-term. Or you go big in the trade market if you can even find a suitable option that is available. Everyone wants to upgrade the team but you have to think of how feasible it actually is to accomplish. Too many people thinking one domino at a time.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Boeser imo is a 50 point player and will be for 5 or so years before he drops off to 30-40 points. I don’t think he’s worth 7.5/season. I’m not even sure he’s worth 5. If you look at garlands career ppg and speed, I’d rather have him if you have to choose only 1 of the 2. 

I just don’t think the value will be there for Brock unfortunately. Somebody may offer him 6 in free agency, but I don’t think anyone offers him 7.5. There’s plenty of top6 players in the league that should be available for 3-4/season.

On 4/5/2022 at 3:33 PM, YEGCanuck said:

Letang is on the down side of a good career and I would look elsewhere.

Minus the fact he’s on pace for a career year and still relied heavily upon in Pittsburgh. 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes the same guy who has more points this year than Hughes...

a lot of dmen have more points than Hughes lol.. doesnt make his point any less valid. If our JR thinks Letang is stale, he is not coming to Vancouver. 

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

a lot of dmen have more points than Hughes lol.. doesnt make his point any less valid. If our JR thinks Letang is stale, he is not coming to Vancouver. 

Only 7 defencemen in the NHL have more points than Hughes. That’s not A LOT. 

Only 4 defencemen have more points than Letang. He is still an elite defencman.  Letang is definitely not stale.

JR traded a 3rd round pick for Travis Dermott who is a borderline NHL Dman. Maybe grandpa has lost his touch.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Only 7 defencemen in the NHL have more points than Hughes. That’s not A LOT. 

Only 4 defencemen have more points than Letang. He is still an elite defencman.  Letang is definitely not stale.

JR traded a 3rd round pick for Travis Dermott who is a borderline NHL Dman. Maybe grandpa has lost his touch.  

Not sure what you are trying to argue. JR wanted to move on from Letang obviously because he thinks he is too old. Logically thinking, he wont be coming to Vancouver. 

Hughes is 10th in dmen scoring. Considering there's 32 teams only, that is a lot. Number of goals, he is not even top 50. 

15 hours ago, BlastPast said:

The problem with this is you then have to find suitable replacements for less money elsewhere. So you move out Myers and his contract. What then ? The UFA market is unlikely to yield bargains and long-term solutions in the trade market will be costly as well. You want to throw 4 X 5.0 at Manson or whatever his cost ends up at ? Miller ? Gudbranson ? Guys like Letang/Klingberg are not going to be cheap/short-term. Or you go big in the trade market if you can even find a suitable option that is available. Everyone wants to upgrade the team but you have to think of how feasible it actually is to accomplish. Too many people thinking one domino at a time.

Could also be about moving on.  If they don't think a player fits the team and where they want to get at, they might prefer to move on to be able to start preparing for the future.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

Could also be about moving on.  If they don't think a player fits the team and where they want to get at, they might prefer to move on to be able to start preparing for the future.  

I can see trading Myers if JR/PA are targeting Klingberg.