The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks trying to identify fan who threw hot dog towards Phil Kessel

Rate this topic

nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Cancer survivor, good sense of humour,  Cup winner, not a dirty player, ironman.  What's not to like?

I get it but we only him, as a player from a different team rather than someone who has played for the Canucks.  Think of all the things Drance, might dig up....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 4/19/2022 at 11:59 AM, Gawdzukes said:

It's so ironic Phil could skate circles around that fat pud. How people started making fun of a guy with 2 Cup rings, multiple 37 goal seasons, 1200 NHL games and over 90 point seasons while not missing more than 12 games in 16 years ... for being lazy I can't imagine. Mind-blowing.

Yep.   Fans can be the worst.   Media plus fans ... adds some ketchup.   Which should never be put on a hotdog.   Kessel for awhile anyways, was old reliable for my hockey pools at one point.  A staple in the top ten there or around, just like a hot dog for easy to eat so so fast easy food (add some onions and mushrooms and it's easy to elevate lol).   It is funny he filled the cup with hot dogs.    

On 4/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, ShawnAntoski said:

A reputation is either earned or debunked by ones' action(s).  So there must be something about him that brought on the stigma ?

Not sure about the stigma, but the hot dog story was the result of a BS article written by that so-called sports journalist Steve Simmons. His claim was that when Kessel was playing for the Leafs, he would visit the same hot dog vendor every day at roughly the same time.

The hot dog vendor who parks daily at Front and John Sts. just lost his most reliable customer. Almost every afternoon at 2:30 p.m., often wearing a toque, Phil Kessel would wander from his neighbourhood condominium to consume his daily snack. - Toronto Sun

I guess it made for a good story, (since PK's body type is not what one would call "lean") but good story or not, it wasn't true:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/7/3/8891387/is-the-kessel-hot-dog-story-real

• Cheers 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:28 PM, Alflives said:

I’d say this guy hasn’t turned down many hotdogs.  

Not cool for fans to do that to anyone!   I thought they only opened "The Gates of Surrey" and let us out during the Tractor-Meet ?   How'd he escape? 

Wait until we have out very own new Multi-Billion dollar Surrey Police Patrol.  This sort of thing will never happen again.  Doug said so!

Pigs on a Fence Digital Art by Daniel Eskridge

Edited by RU SERIOUS

Back in the 1990s I worked for the Calgary Flames.  As much as I hated Messier and despised how he messed with the Canucks and causing Linden to leave, I never thought about throwing potato chips at him.  Wasn't worth losing my job-- I also loved that job because it paid really well and the Flames allowed us to wear our Canucks sweaters at the game. 

Edited by The Colt 45s

On 4/19/2022 at 2:44 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

I didn't see it...did he hit him in the face or something?  I mean...it's soft, it doesn't spray stuff all over him like beer, it's not a biohazard like a dead octopus.  Yeah he shouldn't do it but I'm not that fussed.

It's just not classy.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

Back in the 1990s I worked for the Calgary Flames.  As much as I hated Messier and despised how he messed with the Canucks and causing Linden to leave, I never thought about throwing potato chips at him.

Neither have I.  I've only thought about throwing bricks and rocks.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, King Heffy said:

Cancer survivor, good sense of humour,  Cup winner, not a dirty player, ironman.  What's not to like?

Seems like that friend who's balls you can bust(poke fun of) and always have a good time with. Like in beer league.

1 hour ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Or the dude's actually a Phil Kessel fan and was just trying to recruit him to join the Canucks when Phil becomes a UFA this summer.

Joke all you want but if we trade Boeser we could do a lot worse on a cheap 1 year deal.  Doubt he'd want to deal with our media though after his time in Toronto, and I don't blame him.

Edited by King Heffy

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Joke all you want but if we trade Boeser we could do a lot worse on a cheap 1 year deal.  Doubt he'd want to deal with our media though after his time in Toronto, and I don't blame him.

At this late stage in his career, there's a good probability that he will get offered roughly the same low salary as multiple teams. I'm having a hard time coming up with a compelling reason for him choosing Vancouver over other teams. Taxes in Canada, him being an American, Canadian media, him having played for the hated Maple Leafs (and Bruins), him having already experienced Stanley Cup glory and probably wanting it again soon. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us why you seem to think we actually have a chance?

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver

2 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

At this late stage in his career, there's a good probability that he will get offered roughly the same low salary as multiple teams. I'm having a hard time coming up with a compelling reason for him choosing Vancouver over other teams. Taxes in Canada, him being an American, Canadian media, him having played for the hated Maple Leafs (and Bruins), him having already experienced Stanley Cup glory and probably wanting it again soon. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us why you seem to think we actually have a chance?

I don't think we do.  A guy can dream though.  Maybe Allvin and JR having had him on the Penguins gives us some hope.

Edited by King Heffy