The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It's more like TG couldn't get them in. 

BB's record with the same lineup says this is indeed a playoff team... 

Yep it’s pretty obvious.

Classic blunder of having the wrong coach for the style of team you’ve built. 

Benning wanted a team that played like the Bruins but built one that played like the Capitals.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep it’s pretty obvious.

Classic blunder of having the wrong coach for the style of team you’ve built. 

Benning wanted a team that played like the Bruins but built one that played like the Capitals.

Yeah tough to say what jb was going for. I would think the latter half more than the first half. 

He did say meat and potatoes but this team isn't really that

More exciting though

Edited by CanucksJay

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah tough to say what jb was going for. I would think the latter half more than the first half. 

He did say meat and potatoes but this team isn't really that

More exciting though

He started out building a team with meat and potatoes that seriously lacked skill.

Once he drafted players like Pettersson and Hughes his philosophy seemed to change. He should have changed the coach with it.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I still think that of his personality, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's a good player.  

Got it, you have nothing against Miller as a player.

I was hoping you had come around to the idea that there are different types of leaders.

What you saw as tantrums and bad attitude, I saw as passion and drive. A player that could produce and lead the way even when Green was at the helm. 

6 hours ago, nergish said:

Do you honestly think moving Boeser (and say Hoglander) lands us the elite RHD we seek?

I don’t.

It will be painful, but I really do think Miller is moved for a haul, and that it will be the right move in the long run.

i dont know where i said that, i laid my opinion who should the team build around.

Boeser is decent but we need a consistent 30 goal scorer and he just hasnt been there. 

Myers, boeser and hoglander will be moved i think

I wouldn’t mind seeing Boeser traded, and keeping Horvat and Miller. Boeser just doesn’t offer much apart from his natural scoring / shot. And his skill set has been wasted on our power plays because Miller and Petey already do a good job on the side boards, and Horvat is solid in the middle.

• Cheers 1

This is the time to think what should do in the offseason.

Goalie:  Demko and Martin looks good.

D:  There are holes in there, we need build around Hughes.  I like Schenn paired with him.  Myers is good but a little bit slow.

He has value to trade.  OEL might be another assets to take some good returns.

F:  I like to trade JT, Broser, Garland.  Keep Bo, Petey, Highmore, and acquire some fast, energy players.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's a myriad of things that could happen. Could be be key UFA's. Using that cap space to grab the next Toews, Miller, Bennett etc. Flipping those assets. Other trades. Dinner combination of all those things.

You need to get it out of your head that trading Miller is some "roster death sentence". I'm excited to see how management navigates this summer actually!

never said that. I just don't want him traded for picks and smallish prospects. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Unless we fleece someone.

Losing Miller will set back this group for a year or two it they are looking to contend. Which I think they are with the right tweaks in the next 2/3 years....not 5.

He's a rare breed. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Losing Miller will set back this group for a year or two it they are looking to contend. Which I think they are with the right tweaks in the next 2/3 years....not 5.

He's a rare breed. 

yeah it has to be a major clear win for us, for now and for later. I've seen too many proposals on here that are selling low, I guess because of this idea of not 'letting him walk for nothing' which is pretty far down the list of things this team needs to be worried about. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Really? Because you keep posting over, and over, and over... about how trading Miller (at all) will lead to Bo leaving because he won't want to be around for a "rebuild". 

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Fans should lower their expectations on player movement. 

I'll be shocked if we move more then one big piece this summer. 

Between Miller, Garland, Boeser, and Horvat I expect only two transactions to happen. 

1 trade + 1 extension 

Or 

1 re-signing + 1 extension 

I mean, we never really know. 

I wouldn't say I expect both Boeser and Miller to be moved, but I'd welcome it. I think there's a very real possibility depending on what each player is asking for. 

If I had to guess I'd say it's more likely Boeser settles for a contract that's reasonable to both sides than Miller. And you know what? I'd be okay with that. Yeah, Brock isn't fast and he may be one dimensional, but there are only so many RW triggermen around the league. 44 points in 67 games isn't the pace we've come to expect, but it's not awful either. He's also young enough that I wouldn't worry too much about his ability to produce as much on a short or longer term deal. Six years would take him to 31-32. We can afford to have he odd player who's not a speed demon if we can bring in players who help increase our overall team speed.

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Team just ran out of steam especially Demko he need help with a backup that wins a couple… BUT he needs to be more consistent later into the year.

We need a backup who actually finishes his starts so Demko truly gets rest.  

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Mercenaries choose what jobs they want to accept.  Miller had no choice where he went.

Or perhaps Miller is sheltering Petey enough that Petey can develop properly and not have to face the opposition's top defence pairing and best shut down centre every single night. 

Peteys head doesn’t need sheltering. It just hinders the process.

I agree on the Miller part though. 

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think the essence of all this is that some of us believe the current team is closer to contending, whereas others feel this team is 3 to 7 years from contending. 

Just to clarify, I think our contention window is +/- 2-7 years from now. I don't think it will take "3-7 years" to contend. 

At best in that scenario, we get a couple years of something resembling peak Miller. And then it's increasing albatross from there. And Hughes and Petey will be at their absolute peak in +/- 5 years... Miller will be 34 and likely regressing hard and eating $9m cap. RIGHT when we should be making our biggest push.

Love Miller now. But that's just bad math.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

He's a rare breed. 

JR and Allvin would need to stock up on a lot of this ...

6000198432468.jpg

• Cheers 1