The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour/ Report) Friedman- Brett Burns on the move?

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Burns 37 -- 3 yrs remaining on 8 million Dollar contract... NEVER NEVER

Honestly,  I thought he had one year left lol!

my thinking was get him here as a crutch for the season at 4m and trade as a depth guy at the TDL regardless of our placement.

Close The Thread !! 

image.gif.a2566920611709a68c4b6503598a0a83.gif

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes TOI, 10 goals, 54 points in 80+ games with 43% ozone start. Why are we crapping on him exactly? Move Myers for whatever we can get, use those assets to get Burns at 2mil retained. Sure, the fact he has 3 years is rather worrying. Ngl. But I dunno, he's still playing at a pretty high level. They'd for sure have to retain at the very least 2 mil for me to consider it, but he's not gutter trash or anything. But I dunno, maybe I am crazy and just tired of asking for us to draft a RHD. Lol.

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Heard it from the horses mouth in the 2nd intermission of third Rangers Penguins tilt.

Burns in the move?  Last year of contract..

how about 50% retained for our 15th overall?

if we can sign him to a 4m x 3 per yr extension?

For a 37 year old defenseman? You’re kidding right? 

PASS.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

14 hours ago, HKSR said:

He has some kinda mNTC though.

EDIT: His mNTC is terrible.  He submits a 3 team trade list every year.  Which means he can't be traded to 29 teams every year.

Let's just hope we are never on that list :.. not that Jim Benning is around anymore but thank you lord if he was and we are on that list...i'd rather take EK at 50% retained in a heartbeat and he hasn't been the same since Matt Cooke severed his achilles' tendon with a foot stomp. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Maybe their unprotected 2023 1st and 50% retained and they take Poolman.

That is getting into the right territory 

Still no thanks.   Here's what i would consider.   EK 40% retained - for Myers. That's about it.   No extras.  And even then not so sure.  Brent and EK play the right side.    EK isn't happy at all about going into a rebuild which SJ is going to need now.   He's Swedish.   So we've got that going for us.   And watching him in OTT before Cooke stomped on his ankle was the closet thing i've seen to Paul Coffey play since .,, well Paul Coffey was playing.   I'd take a chance on EK.  Burns no thanks. 

Edited by IBatch

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Still no thanks.   Here's what i would consider.   EK 40% retained - for Myers. That's about it.   No extras.  And even then not so sure.  Brent and EK play the right side.    EK isn't happy at all about going into a rebuild which SJ is going to need now.   He's Swedish.   So we've got that going for us.   And watching him in OTT before Cooke stomped on his ankle was the closet thing i've seen to Paul Coffey play since .,, well Paul Coffey was playing.   I'd take a chance on EK.  Burns no thanks. 

Imagine watching OEL and EK eating up 13 mil on our cap for five years, while they both decline.  

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Heard it from the horses mouth in the 2nd intermission of third Rangers Penguins tilt.

Burns in the move?  Last year of contract..

how about 50% retained for our 15th overall?

if we can sign him to a 4m x 3 per yr extension?

Can we get this guy a job as CGY GM ?!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Imagine watching OEL and EK eating up 13 mil on our cap for five years, while they both decline.  

EK at 6.5 or so wouldn't be so terrible.   But better then Burns ... like i said i'd rather trade Myers so SJ can get to their rebuild started - with EK at about the same salary.    EKs not all that bad at the same came hit.   Scored 10 goals in 50 games on a bad team ... plus minus is ugly though .. 35 points .. that's still around 60 and 15-17 goals in a full season.    But agree both aren't ideal.   But given our right side is a black hole ... would be a modest gamble...he's only 31 and has had a lot of time to recover from those terrible injured he incurred in Ottawa.     Still i wouldn't go there either - but would rather trade Myers straight across for EK 40-50% retained then trade our 2023 first just to add Burns lol. 

Edit:  OEL/QHs/EK is a legit top four no matter whom you add.  And it fits our window.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

For a 37 year old defenseman? You’re kidding right? 

PASS.

PASS.. Need to get younger and even if Sharks retain some money off his salary 8 million X 4 yrs ? Oh 37 yrs old.

We already have OEL @ 7.2 million X 4 yrs..  SO let's spend money wisely keep 3-4 million under cap so we can get some deals from teams against the cap..

Hughes-- 7.8 -Good signing 

Petey---  7.2 million X 2 yrs-- Good signing

Demko -- 5 million X 4 yrs-- Amazing deal top 10 goalie

Podkolzin --  2 yrs - entry level good

Hoglander - --1 yr on entry level

Dermont --  1yr --1.5 million good trade -- Good skater 25 yrs old Could see up side ion his game

Garland -26 -- 4yrs X 4.9 -- good

Boeser -  25 -- try and sign  3 yrs  AVV 6.1 million --- Maybe trade after deal is worked out? 

Horvat-- Sign  this summer.. 7 yrs - Keep under 7 million..

Rathbone - Sign 400,00  AHL--  NHL 900,000  X 2 yrs-- Show me more -- He is ready lots of skill, so exciting..

Lammikko  26, 6'2  - sign 2 yrs X 1 million show me more

Highmore   26 -5'11 -- sign 2 yrs X 1 million show me more

Lockwood  23 , 5'11. sign 2 yr  X 850,000. - 1 way deal-- show me more

Juulson  25 , 6'2 RD - sign 2 yrs  2 way -- 400,000 AHL - 750,000 NHL --- Depth guy liked his game..

Martin-- Good signing 

Schenn - 1 yr left - good signing..

Miller -- trade -- No -  8.5 million X 6 yrs -- 30 yrs old-- We need prospects and return will be well worth it for future run in 2-3 years..

Myers  - 6 million X 2 yrs-- Try and move make some cap room

Pearson -- 2 yrs X 3.2-- Had a good season-- Could try and move make cap room..

Poolman -  RD  6'3 --3 yrs 2.5 -- good skater -- really #5 D man -- Might take time to move contract.. retain 500,000-- Think he can be better

Dickinson. - 26, 6'2  C/ W --  2.6 million. X 2 yrs remaining-- He should be better-- retain 600,000 - try and move if possible..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

26 minutes TOI, 10 goals, 54 points in 80+ games with 43% ozone start. Why are we crapping on him exactly? Move Myers for whatever we can get, use those assets to get Burns at 2mil retained. Sure, the fact he has 3 years is rather worrying. Ngl. But I dunno, he's still playing at a pretty high level. They'd for sure have to retain at the very least 2 mil for me to consider it, but he's not gutter trash or anything. But I dunno, maybe I am crazy and just tired of asking for us to draft a RHD. Lol.

I was surprised to see that as well. I knew they still used him for a ton of minutes, but didn’t realize they continued to ride him 26+ per night. 

Still posting around 2 total WAR (wins above replacement) this season as well, and has even become a positive defensive GAR player the last couple seasons. 

I’d expected to see much worse underlyings at this stage of his career (age 37), even with his production at 50+ points.

Burns is also their PK icetime leader and has positive analytics playing shorthanded.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BPA said:

Burns is still producing at a high rate.  He’s the Pavelski on D.

Isn’t that the argument the “keep Miller until he’s 37-38yr camp” is using?

For Burn's price tag, I think you could get both C Miller and Subban.  That seems like an overall better RD side.

Hughes  Subban

OEL   Miller

Rath  Schenn

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

For Burn's price tag, I think you could get both C Miller and Subban.  That seems like an overall better RD side.

Hughes  Subban

OEL   Miller

Rath  Schenn

I wonder if PK could play a strictly defensive role with Hughes as his partner?