The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

15 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Says who?  Guerin is too smart.  He got rid of parise and suter for being too slow.  Doubt hes going to bring in boeser

https://zonecoverage.com/2022/wild/a-brock-boeser-homecoming-would-cap-off-minnesotas-summer/

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/09/rumor-vancouver-and-minnesota.html

an agent will back track all rumours of knowledge,.   and Minnesota is , favourably home.

• Cheers 1

On 12/3/2022 at 7:09 PM, Coconuts said:

If we did bring back Dumba I'd just retain on him and flip him at the deadline tbh, I don't want him but he's still an RD on an expiring deal and if we retain 50% I'm sure we could sell him at 3M

That way we get assets and his expiring cap space 

Why wouldn't Minni just do that then? I don't see why they'd have any interest in Brock with 13m cap penalty

On 12/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, Coconuts said:

Hmm, a flip and flip, I see where you're at. That would be more palatable, and yeah, it'd free up cap. 

I wonder if it's a move Minnesota makes while in cap hell though, or if they'd even have interest in Boeser. They'll always come up because he's a Minny boy but I don't think that matters to the Wild tbh. They don't need to sell the fanbase hometown boys, Minnesota fans love their hockey. 

It doesn't. I remember Guerin saying something similar. They want good players, not players from Minnesota per se. 

I don't know if Boeser goes there. He goes whichever teams acquires him - it's work for him right. 

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It doesn't. I remember Guerin saying something similar. They want good players, not players from Minnesota per se. 

I don't know if Boeser goes there. He goes whichever teams acquires him - it's work for him right. 

That's part of why I pour water on a Dumba trade tbh, I don't believe the Minnesota connection is as important to Minnesota's management as some folks seem to believe it is. It's something you can sell a fanbase, sure, but Minnesota fans are already very invested in hockey, they don't need to be sold a hometown player. 

I'd be surprised if Minnesota has interest in him, they could use scoring on the wing but if they take on a significant amount of cap any time soon I reckon it'll be in the form of a center. Eriksson Ek is essentially on an island as far as productive centers go in Minnesota. 

43 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I was reading some articles out of Minnesota and it sounds like there was a lot of people upset Minnesota didn’t draft Boeser and he would be very popular there. Minnesota is having trouble scoring and their 4th highest scoring winger has just 8 points.

Addison has stepped up big time and it sounds like Dumba’s time is up. This is a great hockey trade.

Boeser is being a bit undervalued - 65 points per 82 games over his career on pace for 66. Missed games have brought his season totals but that is good offensive performance.

From a cap perspective the trade is simple, and we can move out Myers (even if we got to retain some salary).

16 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I was reading some articles out of Minnesota and it sounds like there was a lot of people upset Minnesota didn’t draft Boeser and he would be very popular there. Minnesota is having trouble scoring and their 4th highest scoring winger has just 8 points.

Addison has stepped up big time and it sounds like Dumba’s time is up. This is a great hockey trade.

Boeser is being a bit undervalued - 65 points per 82 games over his career on pace for 66. Missed games have brought his season totals but that is good offensive performance.

From a cap perspective the trade is simple, and we can move out Myers (even if we got to retain some salary).

Boeser is not a good skater, has an extensive injury history, does not play well in his own end, carries a high cap hit.

I think you might get a 3rd rounder for him.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

Boeser is not a good skater, has an extensive injury history, does not play well in his own end, carries a high cap hit.

Then we should just keep him, we dont really need the cap space until next season. He could turn on the goal tap in the later half of the season if his wrist is still an issue at the moment.  

10 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

if the trade was simple and Boeser is undervalued I think he would have been traded by now :lol:

Heck Canucks probably wouldn't have resigned him and probably traded him to another team during the off-season

Apparently Calgary are calling. Obviously you don't trade within your division, especially younger guys and you know Brock would come back to hurt us, but their offence is pretty crap so maybe he'd suck over there and most importantly they have lots of D we'd quite like...

Anderson and Weegar are now their top guys, Tanev is still logging 20+ minutes, Hanifin is still in their top 4. What does it take to snag Hanifin? They have over a mil in cap space so could work...

Boeser + Rathbone/Woo/2nd for Hanifin?

I'd be all over it. I know he's an LD but we can make it work. Doubt they move Weegar.

18 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Russo on his podcast again stated that the Wild won't be trading for Boeser.  They think he's a 1-trick pony and won't fit their lineup.  Posted the audio in the other thread.  

Guerin praises Russo for the accuracy of his reporting on the Wild.  This past off-season Guerin got so irate over some fake rumour or stupid speculation that he threw out a "They are full of crap.  They don't know anything."  He went on to confirm that Russo is obviously not part of the "they" and knows what he's talking about.  Not all in Minnesota have direct access to Guerin and/or the sources that Russo has.

On 12/6/2022 at 12:39 PM, sxqhfeh said:

I think we don't get more than a second round pick and a bad contract back, as only a few teams have cap space to take on Boeser’s contract. If only a third round pick is offered, I’d say no, unless a great prospect is added as well.

• 1 month later...

I believe Vancouver should retain half the salary to get a better return - likely a first round pick and or prospect. Boeser's deal only has 2 more years on it. The added advantage would be that JR and PA would have around 3M less to spend on UFA's and further dig the whole they have created. (Yes I know this won't happen).

The fact that JR and PA, let alone Aquaman wouldn't consider something like this because they think they can contend in the next 2 years is mindboggling.

Even something simple such as retaining for Boeser and Garland would help overcome the mistakes and opportunity cost of not trading Kuz and Miller, and extending Boeser in the first place.

12 hours ago, Lumme21 said:

I believe Vancouver should retain half the salary to get a better return - likely a first round pick and or prospect. Boeser's deal only has 2 more years on it. The added advantage would be that JR and PA would have around 3M less to spend on UFA's and further dig the whole they have created. (Yes I know this won't happen).

The fact that JR and PA, let alone Aquaman wouldn't consider something like this because they think they can contend in the next 2 years is mindboggling.

Even something simple such as retaining for Boeser and Garland would help overcome the mistakes and opportunity cost of not trading Kuz and Miller, and extending Boeser in the first place.

I'd rather we take back a ~$3m player, perhaps even one we have greater need for (middle 6, 2 way guy with speed who can kill penalties/defend). Even better if they expire sooner and give us options. A guy like Kapanen for instance, would be a great fit for a deal like that.

Good speed, 2 way ability, $3.2m hit that expires one year sooner.

And given how far his stock has fallen and how much of a need Boeser could fill there, we likely get a decent pick/prospect back as well.

Edited by aGENT
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather we take back a ~$3m player, perhaps even one we have greater need for (middle 6, 2 way guy with speed who can kill penalties/defend). Even better if they expire sooner and give us options. A guy like Kapanen for instance, would be a great fit for a deal like that.

Good speed, 2 way ability, $3.2m hit that expires one year sooner.

And given how far his stock has fallen and how much of a need Boeser could fill there, we likely get a decent pick/prospect back as well.

6 teams still in on Boeser. Should get an offer that works.

• Cheers 1