The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Needs continue where he left off next season and perform at the next level first.

Good production in the playoffs so far but how much of it is powerplay points?

My buddy in Florida had stem cell treatment on his knees. Took the stem cells from his gut and injected them into his knees instead of replacing the knees. Supposed to be able to golf in 3 months. My point being is that the Swedes are pretty crafty. Maybe they injected Lekker with stem cells. The East Germans got really good at that kind of stuff. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Needs continue where he left off next season and perform at the next level first.

I don't see how it matter where he gets his production from so long as he's getting production at this point.

Everything else is mere pedantics.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Bad production in the regular season but how much of it was injuries/mono?

2 sides to the die

• Cheers 2

Stoked to see the lad playing well here. I was certainly someone who had him written off as a total bust and reallllly hope I have to eat crow on that.

Still got a very long way to go from here but encouraging signs this pick might not be another write off after all.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't see how it matter where he gets his production from so long as he's getting production at this point.

Everything else is mere pedantics.

It does matter when it’s a tier 2 Swedish league. Defense there is a joke and even more so on the pk.

Shooters have all day to pick their spots. It would be more impressive if he was driving play 5 on 5.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Bad production in the regular season but how much of it was injuries/mono?

2 sides to the die

And how long did people make those excuses for Juolevi?

Like I said let’s see if he can continue to produce next season. Until then we can’t know if this is just a hot streak.

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Like I said let’s see if he can continue to produce next season. Until then we can’t know if this is just a hot streak.

Some people were still making excuses after he was long gone. I sure took a lot of abuse for calling attention to his issues right from the onset of his play in Utica. His first game at young stars saw him being walked on the outside because of his limited ability to pivot to the left. He actually looked good on the pp, and not awful on the pk, but at even strength when opponents were more likely to drive the outside, he was in trouble.

Now, whether Juolevi’s medical issues were properly looked after by the Canucks is another issue, about which some questions have recently arisen in the context of Boeser’s infection of his hand injury, and more recently,

As for Lekkerimaki, since his recovery, he has looked like a different player. It will be interesting to see him after being able to have his season’s preparation not being interrupted by mono.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

An explanation is not making excuses

Edited by stawns

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

An explanation is not making excuses

Lots of prospects go through adversity without seeing their stats fall off a cliff.

He needs a big offseason to get himself back to where he needs to be.

Edited by DeNiro

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

CDC was just in denial, Sergachev, McAvoy, Keller, Upchuck,  dear lord 

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

CDC was just in denial, Sergachev, McAvoy, Keller, Upchuck,  dear lord 

This has to be a joke, because EVERY team has had their misses, including Boston with 3 consecutive picks. 

I know you are referring to the Juolevi draft, but...

... one draft alone, with JV and McCann, we could have chosen players like Pastrnak, Point, even Ehlers. We actually picked Tryamkin instead of Point, in the 3rd round.

The NYI chose MDC. 

It's not a given. In most cases, it's hit or miss, otherwise known as a crapshoot. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I was never a fan of the Lekkerimaki pick, as I was looking towards Bichsel but once they took him, I was behind him 100%..
After a well proven tough start to his career, which has been derailed by illnesses and injuries, he seems to to have improved. 

Now it may be in the 2nd tier swedish league, but its the two top teams there, and he is looking good now, by all reports. 

I don't think we are doing the boy or our selves any favours by slating him or writing him off already. 

Whats the alternative? Go and tear up his contract or what? 
OJ had faults in his game as well, but to suggest that all his injuries had nothing to do with that is naiv...  

Yes we could have chosen better.... as could a lot of others. 

What if Petey had gotten mono in his draft +1 year or some injury that would have set him back. Would it have made him a terrible pick or a bust as well?.... luckily we'll never know, but you just don't know with illnesses. 

Lets just hope the kid continues to improve, so he, with a bit of luck, can become an NHL player...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think we drafted based on his U18 performance last year. The guy had 16 points in 6 games and led the tourney in scoring while being nearly 2 years younger than some folks.

He had mono and concussion issues this season, I think you have to consider that a huge factor into why he’s had such a down year. He was rushed from injury to the WJC and although I don’t think he was the worst on that team, Sweden as a whole had a terrible tournament. 

I think Lekkerimaki will surprise a lot of people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I think we drafted based on his U18 performance last year. The guy had 16 points in 6 games and led the tourney in scoring while being nearly 2 years younger than some folks.

He had mono and concussion issues this season, I think you have to consider that a huge factor into why he’s had such a down year. He was rushed from injury to the WJC and although I don’t think he was the worst on that team, Sweden as a whole had a terrible tournament. 

I think Lekkerimaki will surprise a lot of people.

I really hope he works out. Because I'd have rather seen Owen Pickering or Nathan Gaucher been selected.

• Cheers 2