The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah I don't really see the overall benefit. Obviously he could potentially be a fit with Hughes in the ozone. But defensively you're asking to get scored on a lot. And sticking him with OEL is working against Klingberg's skillset. Arguably we are already misusing OEL as a defensive player. Last year's 42% ozone starts was the lowest of his career. We desperately need a Josh Manson or a Chris Tanev (or even better, a do it all RD like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Parayko) so that we can use that top pair more liberally, although it seems like Boudreau was starting to lower Hughes' ozone starts.

Would also help to have a defensive minded 3rd pair. Right now OEL is taking a lot of the dzone starts for our blueline. That's not his game. He should be a 50/50 guy. If not more of a ozone guy as he ages.

Exactly!

thank-you-thanks.gif

• Haha 1

Myers to DAL for Gurianov

Garland/Poolman to NJ for Severson

Miller to ??

Pearson to ??

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Gurianov

Hoglander - ?? - Podkolzin

?? - Lazar - Lockwood

Dickinson

Hughes - Severson

OEL - Klingberg

Dermott - Schenn

Rathbone

Burroughs

• Like 1

Yup agreed about Klingberg being an ill fit for the current D corps. 

Devils could have potentially gotten Marino to replace Severson (they have their rookie coming up who will likely play bottom pair). 

Does anyone want Severson or is he not a great fit (I don't know much about him)? 

To Van:

Severson

2nd round pick

To NJ:

Garland

We get an top 4 RD on an expiring contract and a pick (due to him being a UFA in a year). NJ gets a top 6 winger signed to a good deal. 

Another option I was thinking about recently, what about Larsson out of Seattle? 4 million for 3 more years, defensive RHD. Seattle feels like they are still building, so they may be open to moving him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Devils could have potentially gotten Marino to replace Severson (they have their rookie coming up who will likely play bottom pair). 

Does anyone want Severson or is he not a great fit (I don't know much about him)? 

To Van:

Severson

2nd round pick

To NJ:

Garland

We get an top 4 RD on an expiring contract and a pick (due to him being a UFA in a year). NJ gets a top 6 winger signed to a good deal. 

Another option I was thinking about recently, what about Larsson out of Seattle? 4 million for 3 more years, defensive RHD. Seattle feels like they are still building, so they may be open to moving him. 

Think Severson is a decent fit. Would likely pair well with one of the 3 on the left hopefully Q. Top end of age range but UFA next summer. 
No picks. Going to take a while to rebuild the pipeline and the habit of constantly trading seconds has to stop 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

To Van:

Severson

2nd round pick

To NJ:

Garland

Miller for Severson and McLeod 

Myers + Hogs for Larsson 

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah I don't really see the overall benefit. Obviously he could potentially be a fit with Hughes in the ozone. But defensively you're asking to get scored on a lot. And sticking him with OEL is working against Klingberg's skillset. Arguably we are already misusing OEL as a defensive player. Last year's 42% ozone starts was the lowest of his career. We desperately need a Josh Manson or a Chris Tanev (or even better, a do it all RD like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Parayko) so that we can use that top pair more liberally, although it seems like Boudreau was starting to lower Hughes' ozone starts.

Would also help to have a defensive minded 3rd pair. Right now OEL is taking a lot of the dzone starts for our blueline. That's not his game. He should be a 50/50 guy. If not more of a ozone guy as he ages.

By this reasoning though we really need to move on from Rathbone as we need a third pairing shutdown left D since Q isn’t going anywhere and OEL is essentially unmoveable.  
Not sure Klingberg wouldn’t work. Makar and Toews shouldn’t work because really they are both PMD and neither are overly physical but they do work brilliantly. 
Ah who knows. I think the GMs are mostly throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks as much as we are. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Okay we know this rumour is bogus.

Why aren’t we hearing anything about where he my actually sign though. It’s been awfully quiet. Same with Kadri.

Seems like there are a lot of shoes that still need to drop. Kadri and Klinberg signing somewhere, us having too many forwards, NJD having too many RD. This offseason is far from over.

28 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

To Van:

Severson

2nd round pick

To NJ:

Garland

Severson is gonna get 7m in UFA next year, pretty sure you're exactly right that they picked up Marino to replace him. Marino's cap hit at 4.4 is very reasonable for a top-4 RHD.

I like Severson but not sure we want him given the haul it would take to retain him next year through UFA as well as giving up assets to trade. If we really want him, I'd say lets not give up any assets, and wait and see if he tests UFA. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

By this reasoning though we really need to move on from Rathbone as we need a third pairing shutdown left D since Q isn’t going anywhere and OEL is essentially unmoveable.  
Not sure Klingberg wouldn’t work. Makar and Toews shouldn’t work because really they are both PMD and neither are overly physical but they do work brilliantly. 
Ah who knows. I think the GMs are mostly throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks as much as we are. 

Lets not pretend Toews is on par with Klingberg defensively. Toews is a two way defender, not an offensive defender like Klingberg is. Physicality isn't the thing we want necessarily, it's defensive ability with the ability to pass the puck. Toews has both. That's the reason that pair works. Toews is a fantastic two way guy that allows Makar to operate offensively while also being able to chip in defensively. Toews the last 2 seasons has below 50% ozone starts. Klingberg is a 60% ozone guy. Hughes and Makar are comparable, Toews and Klingberg are not.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Plays a similar 2 way game. Better offensively, less physical. Won't save cap, doesn't represent a skill set we need, doesn't fit core age group.

Myers isn’t even physical enough for me but I’d say Klingberg is considerably better than Myers in almost every way. 

Say he signed a 5-6 year deal one that takes him to 34/35. Lots of dmen play pretty well 29-35 especially when they aren’t a physical bruising dman. 

Example Letang did. Edler was a horse for us during that time of his career too.

I don’t see the age of him or say a Severson being an issue in general or for our team specifically.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Lets not pretend Toews is on par with Klingberg defensively. Toews is a two way defender, not an offensive defender like Klingberg is. Physicality isn't the thing we want necessarily, it's defensive ability with the ability to pass the puck. Toews has both. That's the reason that pair works. Toews is a fantastic two way guy that allows Makar to operate offensively while also being able to chip in defensively. Toews the last 2 seasons has below 50% ozone starts. Klingberg is a 60% ozone guy. Hughes and Makar are comparable, Toews and Klingberg are not.

That’s a perspective I can agree with.

I’m almost curious if it would be easier to acquire a LHD partner for Hughes and put Hughes on the right side and let him loose offensively 

im pretty sure he played on the right in college at times 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Severson is gonna get 7m in UFA next year, pretty sure you're exactly right that they picked up Marino to replace him. Marino's cap hit at 4.4 is very reasonable for a top-4 RHD.

I like Severson but not sure we want him given the haul it would take to retain him next year through UFA as well as giving up assets to trade. If we really want him, I'd say lets not give up any assets, and wait and see if he tests UFA. 

Marino is a bit of a bet for them but they probably think Nemec will over take him anyways in the next few years. So committing long term to Severson and Hamilton would make it tough for Nemec to get into the top four In a few years and make Severson a very expensive third pairing guy for the back half 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Marino is a bit of a bet for them but they probably think Nemec will over take him anyways in the next few years. So committing long term to Severson and Hamilton would make it tough for Nemec to get into the top four In a few years and make Severson a very expensive third pairing guy for the back half 

New Jersey has played this perfectly. I'm a little jealous.

38 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Yeah makes sense for NJ. 

35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

New Jersey has played this perfectly. I'm a little jealous.

I agree lol. 

I really thought Marino would be an solid addition and the cost paid was not too bad at all. 

• Cheers 1