The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Myers isn’t even physical enough for me but I’d say Klingberg is considerably better than Myers in almost every way. 

Say he signed a 5-6 year deal one that takes him to 34/35. Lots of dmen play pretty well 29-35 especially when they aren’t a physical bruising dman. 

Example Letang did. Edler was a horse for us during that time of his career too.

I don’t see the age of him or say a Severson being an issue in general or for our team specifically.

Just not the pieces we should be looking to add. Sorry. And not just because of his age (though it is certainly a factor).

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At the end of the day, depending on who we play Klinberg with, we'd still be short a top 4 to play with either Hughes or OEL. 

No different than where we’re at now.

I think Klingberg would be a better partner for OEL though.

Myers doesn’t seem to make anyone he’s paired with better.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yep... Myers had his best season in a long time last year.  To me, that is the time to try to get out from under that contract.  He isn't terrible, he is just not a great fit with any pairing we have.  

Klingberg is a better player by a pretty wide margin... him on a 2nd pairing with OEL would be extremely dangerous and add a ton of offence to every forward as well by moving the puck extremely well.

Get a guy like K'Andre Miller in a JT Miller trade and that is a dangerously good looking D shaping up.  One worth the money invested in it.

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Klingberg
Miller-Dermott
Burroughs-Poolman

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Respectfully, isn't this talk of defence pairings a bit old-fashioned. I mean, the way we're loading up on forwards, I think the plan is to roll 4 shifts of 4 forwards + a rover. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hey they rebuilt, scrapped it and started fresh a second time. Took em 20 years to get back to a final!

Honestly our cycle isn't far off most, 11 years since a final. Problem is when it counted the most we also opted to have a trash management as well as team lol. Big F

All starts and stops with Aquaman I’ll never trash him too much cause he spends the money but ya 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Just not the pieces we should be looking to add. Sorry. And not just because of his age (though it is certainly a factor).

What do you think the best moves we could do to improve our d this year and next? 

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

What do you think the best moves we could do to improve our d this year and next? 

I've long been on record that I'd have liked to have traded for Marino, signed Lyubushkin and moved Myers (or moves/players similar to those). We'd still need a long term partner from Hughes in that scenario, but we're likely going to need to draft that guy. Otherwise we'd be younger, better defensively and cheaper, with more appropriate/cohesive partners for all of our left side puck movers.

Now that those players have moved on (trade/signing), we'd obviously need to find alternatives (Carrier and Prokop from NAS? Schneider from NYR? Morrow from CAR?)

I'd also be happy to see us target (trade/offer sheet) guys like Hague and Roy (C) out of Vegas, but we'd definitely need to shed cap for that first. Which isn't so easy.

An overpriced, not young and ill fitting (we need defensive D) Klingberg though....? Not interested.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep... Myers had his best season in a long time last year.  To me, that is the time to try to get out from under that contract.  He isn't terrible, he is just not a great fit with any pairing we have.  

Klingberg is a better player by a pretty wide margin... him on a 2nd pairing with OEL would be extremely dangerous and add a ton of offence to every forward as well by moving the puck extremely well.

Get a guy like K'Andre Miller in a JT Miller trade and that is a dangerously good looking D shaping up.  One worth the money invested in it.

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Klingberg
Miller-Dermott
Burroughs-Poolman

so we want to instead of spending 6mil on a 2nd pairing.. we want to spend 7.5+ for a 2nd pairing defenseman? and say K Miller prolly gonna be in the 3-4 mil range on a bridge 7.

based on ur projected defensive pairings.. you want to spend 31-32mil on defense alone? that's 1 hell of an expensive defense with schenn being in the top 4 hoping he can continue to be great for us. after all the teams done with LTIR and stuff.. we are probably #1 in the league for most expensive defense on the active roster by a fair bit.. leaving no cap space at all for the forwards

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so we want to instead of spending 6mil on a 2nd pairing.. we want to spend 7.5+ for a 2nd pairing defenseman? and say K Miller prolly gonna be in the 3-4 mil range on a bridge 7.

based on ur projected defensive pairings.. you want to spend 31-32mil on defense alone? that's 1 hell of an expensive defense with schenn being in the top 4 hoping he can continue to be great for us. after all the teams done with LTIR and stuff.. we are probably #1 in the league for most expensive defense on the active roster by a fair bit.. leaving no cap space at all for the forwards

Well around $30 million-ish and lower whenever we can offload Poolman’s contract.

That puts us in 6th for D spending in the league, probably lower by the time all the rosters are settled.

Less than the Stanley Cup winning Colorado team that will be spending more than $31 million on D.

We have a bunch of forward prospects who will be coming into the roster on ELCs, se don’t have that on D.

Mr. Klingberg…..cant see it happening at all.

Would be a huge gamble on a guy at his age, coming to a new team and stylistically not really what the Canucks need. For a guy that puts up points that a pretty terrible plus/minus.  

OEL already doesnt get the PP time henought to get because of Hughes-why in the heck would you add Klingberg to that?  

Canucks need defensemen that can excel 5 on 5 and push the pace. Stay away from older pricey UFAs.  IMO if there arnt deals that work to the Canucks advantage just run it back again.  Meyers will get easier to trade as time goes on. If Poolman can get healthy and shows well under Bruce that’s a great sign.  Need Rathbone/Dermott/Burroughs to show well again.  Id rather see what these guys can do and from there.   If you can use Miller to acquire a high upside young D then fantastic.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well around $30 million-ish and lower whenever we can offload Poolman’s contract.

That puts us in 6th for D spending in the league, probably lower by the time all the rosters are settled.

Less than the Stanley Cup winning Colorado team that will be spending more than $31 million on D.

We have a bunch of forward prospects who will be coming into the roster on ELCs, se don’t have that on D.

most of the teams ahead of us in the spending all have a big LTIR to stick on there. so we'll be near if not at the top. boston vegas philadephia off the top of my head all have a 6mil+ to stick on ltir only team i can think of that'll probably be more expensive is maybe colorado? but i think they want to move erik johnson? not sure so when all said and done we'll be way too expensive on the backend unless that backend can give us some elite level offense contribution to off set the lack of cap space available for forwards.

5 hours ago, tas said:

seth jones was also a no-brainer, basically picked by default. it's a different story when you have to explain to your scouting staff, who pour their hearts and souls into what they do like any other professional does with their career, "sorry, we're going to pass on who you think the better pick is because we want to pump years of development dollars into this other kid and then trade him so he can flourish elsewhere. oh, and by the way, we're going to do the exact same thing with the picks we get for him in the trade."

I’m not sure any pick is a slam dunk or a no-brainer. I think there is consensus, and when it comes to generational talent, then yes, I would say those players are no-brainers. Players like McDavid are a no-brainer. 

Edited by N4ZZY

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not sure any pick is a slam dunk or a no-brainer. I think there is consensus, and when it comes to generational talent, then yes, I would say those players are no-brainers. Players like McDavid are a no-brainer. 

we're talking about a guy who in his draft year was expected to go either first or second overall, and he dropped to fourth. it was a no-brainer.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I've long been on record that I'd have liked to have traded for Marino, signed Lyubushkin and moved Myers (or moves/players similar to those). We'd still need a long term partner from Hughes in that scenario, but we're likely going to need to draft that guy. Otherwise we'd be younger, better defensively and cheaper, with more appropriate/cohesive partners for all of our left side puck movers.

Now that those players have moved on (trade/signing), we'd obviously need to find alternatives (Carrier and Prokop from NAS? Schneider from NYR? Morrow from CAR?)

I'd also be happy to see us target (trade/offer sheet) guys like Hague and Roy (C) out of Vegas, but we'd definitely need to shed cap for that first. Which isn't so easy.

An overpriced, not young and ill fitting (we need defensive D) Klingberg though....? Not interested.

Marino could have potentially been a nice acquisition.

Schneider I would love for Hughes long term. But unfortunately Drury won’t let go.

Morrow would be a great acquisition but only way we have a chance of getting him is with Miler.

Hague would be interesting. I’ve wondered about him in the sense could Hughes shift off to the right and partner with him long term.

And how much it would cost to acquire him.

the salary cap issues for all teams is crazy though. Only way to move cap out it is to give up futures attached to few teams like what zona and Anaheim.

I just don’t know what they are going to do. Be fun to be a fly on the wall in there meetings.

• Cheers 1

IMO the dominant thinking has to be how the d-side can be improved to maximize Hughes's game. He has shown steady improvement and will be a Norris candidate. He needs a partner who will have his back physically and puck movement wise. Anything less is a short term view. A partner who can develop along with Hughes towards CUP contention.