The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues sign Matthew Highmore

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Are they the Flames this year, Lievo, Highmore which if our ex-players is next. 

Well the difference between them is Calgary signed/traded for legitimate top six/top four players and a starting Vezina goalie and St. Louis signed marginal bottom six forwards…

15 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Good luck to him! I liked him a lot, but I'm happy we are a different direction with our 4th line. Wish him the best though.

I agree for sure.  HIghmore/Lammikko/Motte did a good job for us last year, but I like the idea of getting bigger and tougher on the 4th line.  We added 2 top 9 forwards in Kuz/IM, with that top 9 depth, I assume the 4th line will be on the ice much more sparingly this year.  We have a very solid forward group heading into the season, and I do think we will add another piece.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pears said:

Well the difference between them is Calgary signed/traded for legitimate top six/top four players and a starting Vezina goalie and St. Louis signed marginal bottom six forwards…

Well, they signed Lievo at the same time too.

I would of kept Highmore. Love the way he plays. Thing is, our GM has shown to be really good at uncovering bottom six forwards in Pittsburgh. I'm hoping he's looking at the same progression here. The management is definitely looking at stronger players and I will put my trust in them after seeing them do some great work with the Pens bottom six depth. 

Good luck Matthew!  

Really liked him on our fourth line, St Louis has been my second favourite team since they beat the Bruins in the finals so I'll be cheering for them! 

Too bad.  I suspect it was more about getting bigger, more sandpaper etc.  Because otherwise he was a great fit here. Hard worker, as others have said. He stood out against most of the other Benning signings.  Always seemed highly engaged in the games he played. But so did Stecher, who was also moved I suspect, mainly because of his size.  But I would have been fine with Mathew coming back.