The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Christian Wolanin

16 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Who's still available?

8 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The pool of RHD free agents is admittedly very limited, especially after day 1 of UFA.  The Canucks do have some RHD at the AHL level already so that may help explain why they're not actively looking for depth RHD.  Guess it shows how thin the pool of RHD are at the NHL level.

Yeah, there's not much.

I would consider Adam Clendening as AHL depth on a similar contract to Wolanin here. They've brought in a couple ex-Colliton coach guys, so Clendening would fit that (he was also briefly a Canuck, and a Rutherford Pen). Big offensive output at the AHL level, so could be a good partner to balance out Briseboise on the 2nd pairing, and then 1st unit PP.

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev

31 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Meh

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Falls into the ‘Meh’ category for me. 

Careful- I said the same in the Lazar signing thread- on the plus side I lived to talk about it.  lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

One of my favourite scenes of that movie (and possibly one of the most underrated scenes) is the opening scene, where Denis is explaining the finer points of hockey...

Absolutely! Never gets old and so many classic lines in that movie. Mega classic and one of my favorites. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I watched him play in Ottawa a couple of times when they were truly, horrendously bad.  They had him in what looked like a middle pairing role and he wasn't bad, but asked to do way too much.  Decent skating and awareness but withered a bit under a hard forecheck.  Seems like a good depth option who could handle bottom pairing minutes with a competent partner. 

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

One of my favourite scenes of that movie (and possibly one of the most underrated scenes) is the opening scene, where Denis is explaining the finer points of hockey...

Underrated? It sets the tone for the whole film. 

• Vintage 4

I guess he slots in after Dermott and Rathbone on the left side? If we aren’t bringing back Hunt it’s something that needed to be done.

For RHD After Myers, Schenn and Poolman we have Dermott who can play his off hand, Burroughs, Juulsen and Keeper for depth.

I get it’s fun to pick up new pieces but there’s a lot of random AHL/Depth NHL guys on the right hand side.  The issue is we’re lacking a defensive-oriented top 4 to play with Hughes. Not another Rando Mcrighty to be number 8 on the depth chart.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1