The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is everybody giving up on Hoglander?

Rate this topic

MikeyD

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

EP

Miller

Bo

Garland

BB

Kuzmenko

Mikheyev

Podkolzin

Pearson

Assuming this is our top 9 in some combo, I don't see a role for Hoglander here.  I don't see him as better than these guys, nor do I see him as a 4th liner.

If we can move him and fill a whole, now or down the road, on D, he is our most tradable/least impact guy that can be dealt.

To me it is managing assets moreso than giving up on him.

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The only thing I could loose Hogs for is a good RhD. 

So Miller ,Hogs, Garland...  for Theodore maybe... 

Yes equal trade for young RD man under 23 that has played over 50 NHL games...

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

Its not BB job to like or dislike    its his job to get a player like NH to overcome his shortcoming    that's coaching

He seems like a player with a good attitude 

I'm just not sure he'll get the opportunity under Bruce.  Boudreau doesn't have the same issue with blatant nepotism as Green did, but all coaches have their favorites along with a doghouse.  When you see useless trash like Petan playing instead of Hoglander, dots get connected.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm just not sure he'll get the opportunity under Bruce.  Boudreau doesn't have the same issue with blatant nepotism as Green did, but all coaches have their favorites along with a doghouse.

If a player isn't listening or is a matured player then sure. 

But a young player needs to be developed still and that falls on the coach. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm just not sure he'll get the opportunity under Bruce.  Boudreau doesn't have the same issue with blatant nepotism as Green did, but all coaches have their favorites along with a doghouse.  When you see useless trash like Petan playing instead of Hoglander, dots get connected.

What?  I thought Petan only drew into the lineup because Hogs was on IR.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't it Green that put together the Kid line ....  Podz-Petey-Hoagie .... in an attempt to break Petey's slump,  and they had insane possession stats? Then Bruce arrived and never tried that line.  Or is my memory faulty?

1 hour ago, Provost said:

No one has given up on him.  He is still on the roster and hasn't been traded away for scraps.  He has a lot to prove as a player though.  Hockey people who know a lot more than us say that he still needs to learn to be more complete of a player and he doesn't provide enough offence to cheat on the defensive side.

He will be in a big battle with our other wingers for ice time though and that is a good thing.  We have guys like Pearson and Mikheyev who are also really good penalty killers and can provide the same level of offence as Hoglander on top of that.  Garland is a beast 5v5.  I can see Hoglander being in the press box if he just can't beat out those guys and find himself a niche.

He isn't a lot cause, but he is by no means a legit top 6 winger in the NHL yet.

If no moves happen before the season (which I still don't expect) I could see lines being like.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser
Mikheyev-Horvat-Garland
Kuzmenko-Dickenson-Hoglander
Joshua-Lazar-Pearson

In that sort of configuration, Hoglander gets amongst the lowest ice time of all the forwards as Mikheyev, Lazar, and Dickenson would be primary penalty killers.

over in the proposal thread, he is traded for nothing

(cap space)

Edited by lmm

I think he was the player that Green loved but Boudreau just didn’t like as much and the injury. 
‘Kind of feel Garland and Hoglander are a bit redundant. I got room for a spark plug player like either of them but am not sure room for two. 

• Vintage 1

Every year the "fans" of this team seem to pick a new whipping boy. Years ago it was Raymond (EP falls about 8 times more often than Raymond ever did) and Ballard, two years and into last year it was Boeser, now its' Hoglander. It's just noise to drown out.

Edited by TheCammer
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

EP

Miller

Bo

Garland

BB

Kuzmenko

Mikheyev

Podkolzin

Pearson

Assuming this is our top 9 in some combo, I don't see a role for Hoglander here.  I don't see him as better than these guys, nor do I see him as a 4th liner.

If we can move him and fill a whole, now or down the road, on D, he is our most tradable/least impact guy that can be dealt.

To me it is managing assets moreso than giving up on him.

I would move Kuzmenko to the bottom of that list and below Hoglander.  The rest have all proven they can perform in by far the best league in the world.  Kuz has yet to prove that.  Hoglander did it as a 20 year old.  Kuz is 25 and hasn't played 1 game.  Remember Linden Vey, Nigel Dawes, Goldobin, etc.. they all scored a lot in the KHL too.

I really like Hogz and think he is much more valuable than cdc gives him credit for.   

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Wasn't it Green that put together the Kid line ....  Podz-Petey-Hoagie .... in an attempt to break Petey's slump,  and they had insane possession stats? Then Bruce arrived and never tried that line.  Or is my memory faulty?

I think Boudreau put that line together, but maybe im mistaken.  They were unreal when together.  And Podz and Petey have real chemistry- the type you need a 1st line to have. 

Anyone looking to dump Hogz doesnt understand this game. 

Hogs is the kind of player I love to watch. I'll always have a soft spot for undersized players full of piss and vinegar. The problem is, I think having Garland on the team makes him redundant, as Garland is essentially peaked Hoglander.

35 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Hoglander, do we really need him?

In all seriousness he may just be a victim of numbers. He doesn’t provide size, toughness, offence or PK. I like the player a lot but it doesn’t seem that Bruce does.

I doubt Bruce has issues with Hogs.  Bruce was dealing with an injured  young player, so had to adjust his toi and

role to his level of play.  Hogs' had good offensive awareness/skills and he is a speedy skater, with creative moves.

At the moment, he doesn't fit in the tip 6 and needs to work on his defensive skill to play on the bottom 6. 

It would be a mistake to trade him at a low point in his game and seeing as he's waiver exempt, it would be

a perfect time for him to work on his defensive game in Abby.

Best case scenario is that he returns to the Canucks as a more complete and versatile player; maybe even before

the season ends.  It would be great for him to gets some NHL time before the team heads into the playoffs.B)

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1