The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is everybody giving up on Hoglander?

Rate this topic

MikeyD

Spoiled with the likes of boeser, EP, Huggy coming in and putting up points right away. Now if anyone shows any sort of slow progression the patience runs thin. 

It's better if every young guy doesn't peak at the same time. The last thing we need is all these guys getting big deals all around the same time anyways

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would move Kuzmenko to the bottom of that list and below Hoglander.  The rest have all proven they can perform in by far the best league in the world.  Kuz has yet to prove that.  Hoglander did it as a 20 year old.  Kuz is 25 and hasn't played 1 game.  Remember Linden Vey, Nigel Dawes, Goldobin, etc.. they all scored a lot in the KHL too.

I really like Hogz and think he is much more valuable than cdc gives him credit for.   

Sure, but that won't happen, and nobody here gets a say.

Most prospects earn their time from the bottom of the lineup up, that won't be the case with Kuzmenko.  In order to land these types of players, you make certain assurances to them and the agent.  Right or wrong, and whether CDC agrees or not, Kuzmenko will be give prime opportnities and minutes right from the start.  He will have to lose these minutes t be bumped down the lineup, as opposed to earning his spot at the top. 

I'm not devaluing Hoglander in any way, but it is pretty clear we are rich on the wings, and poor on D. Someone has to be moved, and realistically, with a very weak season last year, a coach who isn;t enamoured with him, Hoglander seems like the most likely guy to be moved, as he is the easiest to replace.

Kuzmenko and Mikhayev aren't getting moved, so who do move on that list before Hoglander?  I'm also certainly not shipping him out for nothing.

17 hours ago, Rabbit said:

I don't think everyone, but some fans would like to trade him to get some returns.

Personally, I like to keep this young player, at least one more year, to see what he will be.

Unless, he's used to great advantage as a "sweetener" and packaged up to help unload some of the many other Jim Benning bad contracts we're stuck with, I'd still give him one last year to prove himself.    As many said, we've seen many flashes of brilliance and potential and he's as cheap as a Ferrari, so one more year and we'll take it from there.

• Vintage 1

Seriously, who has "given up" on him? He didn't have a good season and the defensive side of his game definitely isn't good enough. But he's still young and one could say "he has time". But, and it's a big but, there are others coming in that will definitely put some pressure on him to improve his game. If too many surpass him he will become expendable. Just drafting a player doesn't mean he will be the best option and he must be kept. That's up to him to achieve. Would you rather keep a player because we drafted him and like him, or keep the best player that helps the team win? I don't care if we draft a player, sign a ufa, or trade for a player. I want the players that do the most to help the team win. I like Hogs and he's fun to watch. But as I said in another post - the Keystone Cops are fun to watch but I wouldn't want then protecting my neighborhood. Liked or not, always go for the best option. I can absolutely accept a player I like being traded if he is surpassed by pthers and it improves the team.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, King Heffy said:

I like the kid, but it doesn't appear that Boudreau does.

I'm hoping BB is just giving him tough love. Hopefully he's not a permanent fixture in his doghouse.

This year will be the year where we might see some flaws. (like if Hogz shows better but still can't get a longer leash) 

Last year, the closest criticism was his decision to play Hunt over Burroughs but I chalk that up to Hunt being a known entity and the fact we were pretty much in a must win situation every night since BB took over and he wanted to go with the guy he knew over the unknown. 

I'm hoping everyone starts with a fresh slate in camp this year. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm hoping BB is just giving him tough love. Hopefully he's not a permanent fixture in his doghouse.

This year will be the year where we might see some flaws. (like if Hogz shows better but still can't get a longer leash) 

Last year, the closest criticism was his decision to play Hunt over Burroughs but I chalk that up to Hunt being a known entity and the fact we were pretty much in a must win situation every night since BB took over and he wanted to go with the guy he knew over the unknown. 

I think management dealt with it well this offseason by taking away Hunt from Boudreau, although I would have preferred if JR had sent him to the AHL where he belonged last year.  Boudreau at least conducted himself like a professional unlike the idiot he replaced, but it's in the best interests of the team to ensure that no coach's pets are gifted unearned icetime this season.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Play better and you're not in the doghouse. Podz was also benched and scratched. He played great afterwards and Bouda moved him up the lineup. He had a very good second half. Hopefully Hogs paid attention. The problem with both in the first half was inconsistant effort. Particularly defensively. Podz turned it around and could find himself in the top 6 next season. You get what you earn. Hogs really needs to pick it up with several more forward options this fall. It's up to him to make himself the best option.

Burroughs is fun to watch without a doubt because he's a hitter. But he sometimes chases hits and he's just ok defensively. Not an awful #6 but he's a 7/8 on a good team.

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone has given up on Hoglander, though there's a school of thought, albeit the remedial class one, that Hoglander should be thrown in as a sweetener on some sort of a deal.

Said it before and I'll say it again.  I think Hoglander would be doing himself a great favor if he reinvented his game and came back to camp as the reincarnation of Tyler Motte.  He's got the engine and skills to be a phenomenal third/fourth line energy guy who can kill penalties.  With the recent acquisitions, I don't think there is room for Hoglander on the top six.  Could you imagine what a Tyler Motte with a little more offensive pop would mean to the Canucks?  Hoglander could be that guy if he wanted to.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Play better and you're not in the doghouse. Podz was also benched and scratched. He played great afterwards and Bouda moved him up the lineup. He had a very good second half. Hopefully Hogs paid attention. The problem with both in the first half was inconsistant effort. Particularly defensively. Podz turned it around and could find himself in the top 6 next season. You get what you earn. Hogs really needs to pick it up with several more forward options this fall. It's up to him to make himself the best option.

Burroughs is fun to watch without a doubt because he's a hitter. But he sometimes chases hits and he's just ok defensively. Not an awful #6 but he's a 7/8 on a good team.

I agree with your assessment. Podz was actually pretty solid defensively all year though minus a few bad penalties. 

Burroughs however was better than Hunt and I thought he deserved the ice time over Hunt. 

I liked watching him because he'd he was physical but he also stood up for his teammates and brought more to the table than Hunt. I also feel like when we need to get the puck out, is trust him over Hunt to win the battle and get it out. 

8 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I don't think anyone has given up on Hoglander, though there's a school of thought, albeit the remedial class one, that Hoglander should be thrown in as a sweetener on some sort of a deal.

Said it before and I'll say it again.  I think Hoglander would be doing himself a great favor if he reinvented his game and came back to camp as the reincarnation of Tyler Motte.  He's got the engine and skills to be a phenomenal third/fourth line energy guy who can kill penalties.  With the recent acquisitions, I don't think there is room for Hoglander on the top six.  Could you imagine what a Tyler Motte with a little more offensive pop would mean to the Canucks?  Hoglander could be that guy if he wanted to.

Hes got the skill and talent to be a permanent top 6 player. The type of top 6 player we need.  Hes 21 years old. How do you pigeonhole him as a bottom 6 player at 21?

• Vintage 2

20 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Spoiled with the likes of boeser, EP, Huggy coming in and putting up points right away. Now if anyone shows any sort of slow progression the patience runs thin. 

It's better if every young guy doesn't peak at the same time. The last thing we need is all these guys getting big deals all around the same time anyways

Those 3 were given minutes and top line opportunity because we had no one else and were so depleted in talent.  Points came naturally. 

Hoglander has legit top 6 talent.  That line of hogz, petey, podz was insane when they were together.  

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes got the skill and talent to be a permanent top 6 player. The type of top 6 player we need.  Hes 21 years old. How do you pigeonhole him as a bottom 6 player at 21?

Exactly! Hogs comes from Sweden in top game shape and hits the NHL at top speed. A desperate coach and fans put the kid in a untenable position. Hogs has his sophomore regression and loses some confidence. How many posts and bars did he hit last season? IMHO BB will reign him in and get him a tad more responsible on the d-side of the game. Hogs has the speed and tenacity to be solid on the d-side. Like every player Hogs could be passed on the depth chart but I think he still has a future with the Canucks.   

• Vintage 1

With our Top 9 right now, unless somebody gets traded, I think Hoggie is going to be on the 4th line.

Pearson - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Garland

Mikheyev - Horvat - Podkolzin (Shutdown Line)

Dickinson - Lazar - Hoglander

Lockwood

We don't know what is going on with Miller yet, let alone management's ability/desire to move other top 6 wingers. We don't know how Kuzmenko will adapt to the NHL. We don't know how Hogz is going to play next season. 

There are so many questions for which the answers will dictate if Hogs gets stuck on a 4th line or not. In any event, it's completely a waste to use him as a sweetener as his stock ought to be pretty low right now. I expect to see him stick around and hope he will show everyone what he is capable of.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:47 PM, higgyfan said:

How so, Locke?

Seriously? Boudreau went with the old-school “I’m going to make this kid my whipping boy” act - complete with critiquing him openly and often to the media.  I think a little more nuanced approach would have likely yielded better results. By all accounts Hogz is a bit of a quieter personality, from Sweden too, and Bruce thought that the “hammer” approach was best. Ol’ Brucie had folks, media included, eating out of his palm but he’s nowhere near a perfect coach. Just look at what JR/Allvin thought of his ability to teach the defense corps how to break out of our zone.

Hogz doesn’t avoid all responsibility for his regressed play of course, but it’s my opinion that Brucie bungled things too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Seriously? Boudreau went with the old-school “I’m going to make this kid my whipping boy” act - complete with critiquing him openly and often to the media.  I think a little more nuanced approach would have likely yielded better results. By all accounts Hogz is a bit of a quieter personality, from Sweden too, and Bruce thought that the “hammer” approach was best. Ol’ Brucie had folks, media included, eating out of his palm but he’s nowhere near a perfect coach. Just look at what JR/Allvin thought of his ability to teach the defense corps how to break out of our zone.

Hogz doesn’t avoid all responsibility for his regressed play of course, but it’s my opinion that Brucie bungled things too. 

I don't watch post game discussion; usually off goes the TV when the game ends; sometimes even before:(

I figured Hogs' game was negatively affected by a lingering injury.  He has had surgery this summer, so hopefully

he returns 100% in the fall.  He is in the position of being waiver exempt, so may have to spend time in Abby

while the coaching staff are making decisions about the players.

Bruce's responsibility is to oversee the coaching of the entire team, but the management replaced the

defensive coaches, who were in charge of the defensive systems and individual player development.

Bruce was a great replacement for Green and the players seemed to respond to him well.  I doubt there

are any perfect coaches in the NHL; every one has their weaknesses.  I'm glad they brought him back for

this season, but I do think he will be replaced next year.