The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Calvin De Haan

On 8/17/2022 at 9:28 PM, Viper007 said:

Maybe .... it's real tough to get a good one timer playing 5 on 5.  Especially when passing point to point.

OEL has elite level talent to get pucks on net, I think he would be a great fit on the right side with Quinn to get shots through. 

Thought this was an interesting bit:

While Bruce Boudreau and his staff continue to prepare for training camp, a strong consideration remains bumping a left-handed defender over to play on the right side as a means of addressing the club’s blue line issues. Travis Dermott and Oliver Ekman-Larsson appear to be the prime candidates, based on their experience playing their off-side at the NHL level previously. However, there’s some possibility that the club may take a look at star defender Quinn Hughes on the right side as well.

In the event that Boudreau decides to experiment with Ekman-Larsson and Hughes together on Vancouver’s top pair at training camp, for example, the club is considering giving both players reps on the right side. That would permit the players themselves to sort out who is more comfortable doing it on a full-time basis...

The Canucks themselves feel that they have the flexibility required to responsibly add another $1 million-plus contract to their books. Our modelling would suggest the number is in the $1.3 million range.

That’s not enough to be a major player for a Rodrigues type, but it could be enough to add some additional depth to Vancouver’s blue line.

And from what we can gather — and this seems sensible — a move to bring in some additional blue line help is more likely to occur than one to help up front.

The name Calvin de Haan looms large here, with the Canucks believed to be among a small group of teams in the mix for the versatile, veteran defender whose form rebounded significantly with the Chicago Blackhawks last season.

https://theathletic.com/3539610/2022/08/26/canucks-jt-miller-training-camp/

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

And from what we can gather — and this seems sensible — a move to bring in some additional blue line help is more likely to occur than one to help up front.

Spying Latoya Jackson GIF

Well no sh!t Sherlock! :P

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:06 AM, JM_ said:

man I wish we could find a way to move Dickie out to bring in both DeHaan and ER. 

Dehaan is definitely the priority. Now with Miller in the fold for the foreseeable future, the need for a 3rd line center is less than dependable defenders. 

• Vintage 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:04 PM, DeNiro said:

Boudreau said he didn’t do much with the systems when he took over because he just wanted to focus on the players confidence level. So essentially what we were seeing was a carry over from Baumgartner and co’s system.

Starting strong from training camp will hopefully make a difference. Yeo will get on the forwards to play the right way. And hopefully Cull can bring a new energy to that D corps.

I agree that the D is not as bad as people are making it out to be. I see teams that get by with less than us because of their depth up front. It’s all about just finding the right pairings from the get go and letting them build chemistry.

If OEL and Hughes can pair together that could be a legit top pairing. Then we just need a second pair that doesn’t hurt us with a combo of Myers and Dermott, De Haan, Poolman, or Schenn.

Theres enough there that if the forwards are doing their job and the D keep it simple that we should be able to take advantage of teams with our forward depth and great goaltending.

Definitely false. 

Every task Nolan had with the team, he failed in my opinion. At first he was in charge of the defense, and he allowed almost 40sog on average. Idc if his system was to force other teams to shoot low chance shots from the outside, the fact that the team allowed free entry and shots isnt ideal even if it's free saves for Demko or Marky. All for the reason to rely on some luck that it bounces to go the other way for a rush down the other way,  the trade off wasn't worth it. 

As soon as Shaw took over, it was night and day difference. Which isn't surprising since he's known to be one of the best defensive coaches in the NHL for awhile now. Sucks we lost him. 

Once Nolan took over the pk role, it was one of the worst in NHL history and costed us a lot of games early on. Basically everything he touched, it was a mess. After walker/Boudreau took over, it got much, much better despite having the same roster. Making changes and trusting Hughes and Petey to pk. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, secksii said:

Definitely false. 

Every task Nolan had with the team, he failed in my opinion. At first he was in charge of the defense, and he allowed almost 40sog on average. Idc if his system was to force other teams to shoot low chance shots from the outside, the fact that the team allowed free entry and shots isnt ideal even if it's free saves for Demko or Marky. All for the reason to rely on some luck that it bounces to go the other way for a rush down the other way,  the trade off wasn't worth it. 

As soon as Shaw took over, it was night and day difference. Which isn't surprising since he's known to be one of the best defensive coaches in the NHL for awhile now. Sucks we lost him. 

Once Nolan took over the pk role, it was one of the worst in NHL history and costed us a lot of games early on. Basically everything he touched, it was a mess. After walker/Boudreau took over, it got much, much better despite having the same roster. Making changes and trusting Hughes and Petey to pk. 

It was better but when the team struggled they still slipped into some of the bad habits Baumgartner had taught them.  I'm hoping that idiot didn't do permanent damage, but we should be better with a full camp under qualified coaches.  I'm still not sure how that clown  was allowed to disgrace the country twice after he clearly proved he is too stupid to coach the game at any level.  It could be possible to make do with minor tweaks and a coach with a functioning brain instead of an incontinent baboon.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, FWIW De Haan likely doesn’t “fix” the defence’s need for a top pairing RHD (unless he absolutely kills it with Myers and OEL/Hughes take off together.)  It should open up some options since he can play both sides and is a defensive-oriented player, something we don’t have on the left side. 

I also buy that a chunk of the team’s defensive struggle can be improved by better support from the forward group.  Hopefully that’s something Mikhayev can help with along with some continuity with Boudreau. 

We aren’t going to be known as a stingy, shutdown group but if they buy in they could do alright.  A deep forward group, elite goaltending and two elite offensive defencemen in Hughes and OEL?  

We’ve had worse rosters for sure.  Talent-wise this group really reminds me of the WCE era Canucks (not in roster construction, but a group that has some very high end pieces and should scrap for a playoff spot.). Luckily the high end pieces are young enough that we can continue to tinker around them.

I think that they may be in on de Haan because they can't count on Poolman to play.  Could we consider de Haan to be a similar level player to Poolman?

de Haan is 31 and coming off a 4 year, $4.55M AAV contract (signed in Carolina) and prior to that, he signed for 1 @ $3.3M after arbitration with the Islanders,  so did his play really fall off that badly in Chicago the last 3 years or was he just a victim of playing on a crappy team?  Since he's having trouble getting a contract at all as a UFA I could see a low ball offer from the Canucks coming.

I'm having trouble seeing where de Haan would actually fit in if he isn't an upgrade over Dermott (if he's on the left side) or Schenn (if he's on the right side).  Shenn is only a year older and Dermott is only 25 and has 1 more year at $1.5.  They must have been hoping that Dermott could graduate to the 2nd pair.  Have they decided that he is a career bottom pair player and they need better value?  I quite liked his skating and positional play even if his offense is minimal.  Partner him up with Rathbone or Myers as a stay at home player.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that they may be in on de Haan because they can't count on Poolman to play.  Could we consider de Haan to be a similar level player to Poolman?

de Haan is 31 and coming off a 4 year, $4.55M AAV contract (signed in Carolina) and prior to that, he signed for 1 @ $3.3M after arbitration with the Islanders,  so did his play really fall off that badly in Chicago the last 3 years or was he just a victim of playing on a crappy team?  Since he's having trouble getting a contract at all as a UFA I could see a low ball offer from the Canucks coming.

I'm having trouble seeing where de Haan would actually fit in if he isn't an upgrade over Dermott (if he's on the left side) or Schenn (if he's on the right side).  Shenn is only a year older and Dermott is only 25 and has 1 more year at $1.5.  They must have been hoping that Dermott could graduate to the 2nd pair.  Have they decided that he is a career bottom pair player and they need better value?  I quite liked his skating and positional play even if his offense is minimal.  Partner him up with Rathbone or Myers as a stay at home player.

My hope, if we get him, his low contract will be a result of the strange market dynamics this offseason coupled with opportunity / desire to play for an up and coming team.  

Hard to evaluate his ability playing for a tire fire Chicago club but maybe he can bounce back a bit like OEL did coming in from a brutal Coyotes team. 

I don’t think he comes in and “fixes” anything - but a veteran defensive minded guy, used to tough matchups, hardly over the hill at 31, can play both sides well… sure would be a nice tool to add to the toolbox over 82 games. Especially if Poolman isn’t able to go.

• Cheers 1