The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Calvin De Haan

17 hours ago, grandmaster said:

They claimed him to be a player that can eat minutes without being terrible but at -21, that isn’t terrible? Yes I know the Hawks were a bad team but this number is too much.

I think I would pass…..

Hughes was worse on a bad 2020-2021 Canucks team.   

I think he rebounded as the team improved and De Haan should as well.

De Haan played on the top pairing at times but also on the bottom pairing. Overall he was Chicago's #4 defenceman. The local beat writer gave him a "C+" and his underlying stats also suggest this as accurate. 

4.55 million dollar cap hit last year. Looks like he can play the right side but is a left handed shot. 

A lot of people are suggesting league minimum, PTO etc but he appears to be at least a fairly sizeable upgrade over Poolman who we signed for 4x2.5. I don't think De Haan is a 4+ million dollar player at this stage due to all of his injury problems. 

Certainly not a guy who will get term but I can see something like 1 year x 3 million. If we managed to get him under 2 million he would be an absolute bargain. 

FBDD0BCC-C508-4056-9449-7AA532555D75.webp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

De Haan played on the top pairing at times but also on the bottom pairing. Overall he was Chicago's #4 defenceman. The local beat writer gave him a "C+" and his underlying stats also suggest this as accurate. 

4.55 million dollar cap hit last year. Looks like he can play the right side but is a left handed shot. 

A lot of people are suggesting league minimum, PTO etc but he appears to be at least a fairly sizeable upgrade over Poolman who we signed for 4x2.5. I don't think De Haan is a 4+ million dollar player at this stage due to all of his injury problems. 

Certainly not a guy who will get term but I can see something like 1 year x 3 million. If we managed to get him under 2 million he would be an absolute bargain. 

He is definitely an NHL level D, but he is also one of the guys left out in the cold when most rosters are set.  Happens to decent veterans all the to me now.  Smart GMs should be leaving a couple roster spots open at the bottom of their rosters to take advantage of these late summer deals as well as solid players that spring free from training camp cuts.

We just can’t afford him at more than what can be buried in the minors.  If he can get more than that somewhere else, great.  If we knew Poolman is out all season LTIR, this would be a great pick up.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

if he's going to be a Canuck, it has to be for league min or so, we just don't have room for him otherwise. 

Highly underrated defensive defenseman because "muhhhh plus minus". Will contribute literally nothing on offense, but shuts down high danger chances better than all of the defensemen on our roster last year, despite playing on an atrocious team.  

Would be an incredibly smart pickup if we can get him.  

A "rich mans" Luke Schenn. Would easily play in the top-4 and give us lots of options - he can play on the right side as Hughes' partner if Schenn isnt up for a repeat, He can be the shutdown defenseman that lets OEL open up his game, he can shelter Rathbone, etc etc. 

image.thumb.png.e05b953df7e042310a116856e8ffcdf6.png

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

If he signs for about minimum, the Nucks could send down some one else- would this be a free upgrade?

Other than a contract spot being used.?

He deserves more than the minimum, hes a real defensive defenseman that actually limits high danger scoring chances. 

He would be an upgrade on both Schenn and Poolman, and he can play the right side. 

He's exactly what we need, the question is can we move some money out get cap compliant AND fit him under the cap. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Lol they even explained ahead of time that they wouldn’t be able to do as much as they’d like with the D this year.  
Not sure why it’s a surprise when they outright warned people this would be the case.

That's a pretty bad excuse, considering they did nothing during TDL, nor the draft, with respect to Miller. Are they seriously going to re-sign him, despite the fact that there's next to no space? The leverage they had is weakening. If they could unload Miller for some top prospects, plus draft picks, they can use the space to upgrade the depth from top to bottom.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:12 PM, grandmaster said:

Kane’s primary focus is offence and achieved that with his 92 points. DeHaan’s primary focus is to prevent goals and he failed miserably at that.

The plus minus is a good stat for the position one plays in conjunction whether he provides any offence. It is also a telling tale for trends (this is his second season in a row with a bad minus stat). DeHaan has very weak offensive ability and doesn’t do too well in what he is primarily there to do (preventing goals).

Your comparison with Kane makes no sense and his stats from previous teams matter less as players can digress, follow his most recent trend.

Wrong wrong wrong, so if you have Bergeron back checking every shift compared to kane back checking every shift who’s plus minus is that going to help?? If your d partner is riley stillman compared to pelechs what’s that do to your plus minus? If you got vasilevsky or lankinen in net does that affect your plus minus? Yes it does 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Wrong wrong wrong, so if you have Bergeron back checking every shift compared to kane back checking every shift who’s plus minus is that going to help?? If your d partner is riley stillman compared to pelechs what’s that do to your plus minus? If you got vasilevsky or lankinen in net does that affect your plus minus? Yes it does 

+/- is an extremely flawed way to judge someone defensively, hell you can do absolutely everything right defensively and your teammate blows their coverage and boom you’re dash 1. 

Realistically judging someone defensively requires a myriad of things to consider, underlying analytics, line matching, as well as physically seeing the play, positioning, cleanliness of line change, goaltender positioning. 

It’s just not as simple as looking at the game sheet and looking at the +/- some believe it is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

+/- is an extremely flawed way to judge someone defensively, hell you can do absolutely everything right defensively and your teammate blows their coverage and boom you’re dash 1. 

Realistically judging someone defensively requires a myriad of things to consider, underlying analytics, line matching, as well as physically seeing the play, positioning, cleanliness of line change, goaltender positioning. 

It’s just not as simple as looking at the game sheet and looking at the +/- some believe it is. 

Hahaha yes nail on the head here pal! 

• Cheers 3

Calvin De Haan would step into our top 6 without even much of an effort. He’s an upgrade on everyone not named Hughes or OEL. 

I’d go after him hard if we are able to get him at $1.1 million or below. No brainer really. He’d be on our top unit PK if he was in the lineup. 

You could play him regularly on the 3rd pairing or move him up to play with Hughes or OEL if need be as he can play both sides. I’d rather have De Haan in the lineup than Dermott or Poolman. 

• Cheers 4

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Calvin De Haan would step into our top 6 without even much of an effort. He’s an upgrade on everyone not named Hughes or OEL. 

I’d go after him hard if we are able to get him at $1.1 million or below. No brainer really. He’d be on our top unit PK if he was in the lineup. 

You could play him regularly on the 3rd pairing or move him up to play with Hughes or OEL if need be as he can play both sides. I’d rather have De Haan in the lineup than Dermott or Poolman. 

The Canucks have 3 NHL defensemen.....maybe 4. Him stepping in isn't much of a compliment.

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

That's a pretty bad excuse, considering they did nothing during TDL, nor the draft, with respect to Miller. Are they seriously going to re-sign him, despite the fact that there's next to no space? The leverage they had is weakening. If they could unload Miller for some top prospects, plus draft picks, they can use the space to upgrade the depth from top to bottom.

Is it an excuse?  Maybe it’s going to take a couple years.  Exactly like they keep saying.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's so much better than everyone in here thinks lol

• Cheers 4