The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

39 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Allvin left BB out of the core group in an interview yesterday and today said before camp start there might be a change to the D group.Interesting if something happens.I doubt BB will be traded but make the most sense.

people are really overthinking the boeser omission; it really struck me as an oversight as opposed to a deliberate choice. it's not like it was a prepared speech. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

people are really overthinking the boeser omission; it really struck me as an oversight as opposed to a deliberate choice. it's not like it was a prepared speech. 

To me I thought instead of resigning BB we could get young D that could play now and a center for him.I like BB but him and Pearson are two of the slowest forwards we have that do have value in trades.I do not know what will happen but I would not be mad if those two are traded this year seeing as poolman and dickenson will be harder to trade.

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd do that just to clear the cap space, but NYR doesn't have the room. 

I don’t think there’s a fan base that worries about cap space more than ours. :lol:

Why don’t we just enjoy the team and let the people in charge deal with it?

I just want this season to get going already so we can stop focusing on stuff like this and just focus on hockey!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think there’s a fan base that worries about cap space more than ours. :lol:

Why don’t we just enjoy the team and let the people in charge deal with it?

I just want this season to get going already so we can stop focusing on stuff like this and just focus on hockey!

yea its true, we're a bit obsessed with the cap. 

Flipping Garland for d help does make sense tho at least on our end. I suspect we'll just have to wait out some contacts. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yea its true, we're a bit obsessed with the cap. 

Flipping Garland for d help does make sense tho at least on our end. I suspect we'll just have to wait out some contacts. 

Trading him for Lundqvist doesn’t help our D though and weakens our offense.

Id rather see what we have up front and see if the current D can get it done. Right now we’re gonna lose most trades involving Garland.

Id rather wait for the right deal/player to come along than forcing a deal out of desperation.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To me I thought instead of resigning BB we could get young D that could play now and a center for him.I like BB but him and Pearson are two of the slowest forwards we have that do have value in trades.I do not know what will happen but I would not be mad if those two are traded this year seeing as poolman and dickenson will be harder to trade.

ok. but you don't re-sign a guy you respect to a 3 year bargain contract and then turn around and trade him immediately, so you can pretty much take it to the bank that that won't happen. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

people are really overthinking the Boeser omission; it really struck me as an oversight as opposed to a deliberate choice. it's not like it was a prepared speech. 

But what else will fans and media talk about on a slow news day (esp. the Dach and Stutzle signings only affect eastern markets :P)?

I do agree though, it was probably an off-the-top-of-his-head answer, and frankly not mentioning Brock as part of the core could also help to reduce any pressure from the role's responsibility which he might have felt, since it was a down season for him (albeit with extenuating circumstances given his family).  Not mentioning it and just letting him play his game could be beneficial (as would any rumors about moving him or Garland for an RHD).

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

I read an article that suggested Garland for Lundquist (NYR) might be an option.

Lundqvist wasn't even a top 100 prospect prior to the last draft.   Now he's way down the ladder.   By comparisons and we know our own guys - Rathbone moved from the low 80's to high 50's low 60's last year.   Think about that.    

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ugh.  Do you think Bruce will spend his time looking for the best plug for next year?   Or actually bring the team together and start rolling lines.    To me this was JB/Greens biggest mistake last season.    And it's more on JB then Green.   Every year Green had a ton of players coming in and out and managed it well.   Calder finalist and winner back to back.   Deserves some credit for that. Actually both Brock and EP haven't had a better season since even with Bruce and older now.   On a worse team as well.  

Bruce - he needs to get these guys to camp and not dither over the 13th man.   Get them in a groove.    It's ok to try the young guys out ... but do we even have them?   Would rather we just roll over the pre-season ... get the guys in game shape and start off with a bang. 

That was my issue with Green like sure use the first 2 maybe 3 preseason games to play the bottom 6 contenders. Games 3-4 on play the majority of the set lineup minus an open spot or 2 both forwards and defense, and build chemistry to hit the ground running for the year. 

Playing 1 game or less at near full roster just doesn’t work and contributed to our slow starts. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Trading him for Lundqvist doesn’t help our D though and weakens our offense.

Id rather see what we have up front and see if the current D can get it done. Right now we’re gonna lose most trades involving Garland.

Id rather wait for the right deal/player to come along than forcing a deal out of desperation.

I guess I'm just trying to be realistic about moving cap in the current environment. No one is paying much of anything for middle 6 players, not even good ones.

• Cheers 1

Couple, 3 things:

1. PA didn't include Brock in the core, because he isn't.  Prove you belong and you're back in.

2. If NYR doesn't have enough cap room to take Garland, maybe they should add someone to Lundkvist to even out the cap. 

Like maybe Ryan Reaves RW 1,750,000 and Ty Emberson RD $853,333

3. We could give them their 4th round 2023 pick back if necessary.  (Judas coins anyway...grrrrr)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Those are all fine moves. However, if we move Myers and replace his cap with Severson's, we no longer have Myers expiring cap to pay for raises.

Nevermind that in the current environment, it's unlikely we move ALL of Myers cap out in a trade (and/or certainly not for a late pick).

So we still need to move out a forward, and cap out.

There really is no free lunch here.

I would expect in 2 years time there will need to be a decision to move out one of Boeser, Garland, Kuzmenko or Mikheyev to create cap space for Pettersson's raise. We will have some younger ELC guys stepping up at that time, including Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, McDonough, Forsell.

Chicago just signed Johnson to a $950k 1-year contract, if they have tons of cap space next season I can't see an issue with them paying $1m in salary for 1 year of Myers and getting paid a pick to take his entire cap hit on.

18 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I would expect in 2 years time there will need to be a decision to move out one of Boeser, Garland, Kuzmenko or Mikheyev to create cap space for Pettersson's raise. We will have some younger ELC guys stepping up at that time, including Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, McDonough, Forsell.

Chicago just signed Johnson to a $950k 1-year contract, if they have tons of cap space next season I can't see an issue with them paying $1m in salary for 1 year of Myers and getting paid a pick to take his entire cap hit on.

I'm glad we agree now  :) A forward will have to be moved (likely packaged for a D, reducing depth) to clear cap to both improve the D and pay for raises. And yes, we'll need to rely on some contributing ELC's and the like.

I think Myers is easily moveable....but we'd need to take at least some cap back (different but better fitting player perhaps?). I think given the current environment, regardless of his actual remaining salary, no team is taking on the full $6m cap for a late pick. At the 24 TDL as an expiring rental maybe, but not this year/next summer likely.

Edited by aGENT