The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

7 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Funny indeed. I forgot he shot right. So, I checked Poolman and he also shoots right. Very interesting 

Your L-L-  R-R- plan does look funny but it is only out a bit cuz we have 2 #1 LDs.

We could use a top rd for sure, but it is not so gaping a hole we can't ride it out until the right things come along.

Several of our defencemen have played/can play both sides; Quinn, OEL, Dermott, even Rathbone (I believe).

When we take OEL off the left side, it does leave a gap at 2LD; perhaps Dermott plays his natural side well enough, or Rathbone does, but we cannot really expect those outcomes, only hope for them.

I think we can work the defense we have much more creatively while we wait for the correct restructuring moves to fall into place.

For example, ensuring every one can play with everyone else, notwithstanding that preferable partnerships be developed as well.

This will ease players in transitions and provide 'Plan B's for things that did not work out.

We can rotate prospects up the lineup, test players out at specific tasks, et cetera, all the while keeping the opponents somewhat befuddled.

e.g. Schenn and Myers on #1 powerplay at the faceoff: Slapshot images of the other bench.

More seriously, I like the idea of Quinn and OEL on PP#1; and also images of them crossing over w/each other 5 on 5.

Not to mention The Q & O Railway on the 5 on 3! 

(Clear the track for Podz's Big Whack!)

They're both horses (and so is Myers, by the by, for you Trade-Myers folks) and they thrive on lots of minutes.

I guess what I'm trying to say, what my thing is right now, is, we do not have to do anything.

From now on, we own our future; yes, it includes old debts to pay off and some roster massaging, some trades, but we're ready.

[Not specifically for The Cup, that comes later, like in the spring GO CANUCKS GO etc.]

But that there is no 'gaping hole' to fret about, at RD or anything, and we can and will ice a great team this year.

Can't wait for camp.  (What comes first, camp or young stars?)

(Out of chronological order, sorry, old fart at play.  Here's Jimmy's original post:)

29 minutes ago, JM_ said:

that would be kind of funny to go:

L-L

R-R

for our top 4 :lol:

I think this is going to be a really interesting camp, some real opportunities here. Lets not forget Juulsen. 

40 minutes ago, BPA said:

Don’t think Dickinson + 1st will get a quality RHD.  More likely Boeser/Garland + 1st will get that much needed RHD.

Dickinson and 1st is probably a 2nd round pick and maybe a C-Prospect. I think most teams will see this as a Salary dump.

I think getting a player via trade is just too expensive now considering the lack of assets Canucks have. I would rather look into what remaining in the free agent market and maybe sign a good NHL veteran for a one year deal. Maybe Subban? 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

he's going to struggle like any young d, but I really want him paired with Schenn as his mentor. Not for style, etc. but to keep him grounded and for communication on what their job is when they are paired together. 

Actually that's something that has not dawned on me yet. Schenn could work out amazingly with him. I just had him penciled by Hughes...but it's perhaps time for Huggy to move on from Schenns protection, I think this talk of pairing him with OEL on his right side, or even Hughes on his off side could work out very well. 

I also would love to see Hughes and Rathbone on the PP together in pre season, just to see what they can cook up together.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's nice to see Dermott in early and speaking with BB about the upcoming year. Looks like he's really serious about taking it the next level. I think he gets he has a real opportunity here. 

Yup, nothing left to do now but sit back and see how the team performs. Hopefully we make the playoffs as that is now an expectation for this group. It won't kill us if we don't but what we do at RD in the next couple of years will make or break this squad's chances. I have faith they will get something done. I hope we're blown away with the results and get a top notch D in but just the right parts can also work.

I'm not convinced that Dermott struggling in TO means he can't find his game here, to the level of a 2nd pairing player. If he's coachable he's got a chance. 

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't even like to mention it but Pods is probably the one younger guy that could garner a huge return if we get desperate enough. Sometimes that's the kind of sacrifice you need to win now but I would be very sad too.

nyet. We can't be this desperate, not yet. I'd rather we try to lock him up for 8 years out of his ELC at a good price. 

Lets see how this thing shakes out. Expecting Dermott to be an average 2nd pair d, and Rathbone a 3rd pair d isn't too unrealistic imo. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2022 at 3:41 PM, johngould21 said:

Now who is CDC going to *&it all over with this deal done. Next man up!

That might be Stawnzy ,.   I think he is still disgruntled by this signing..

Don’t think we’ll see him for a bit,  perhaps at the 10 game mark.

in the meantime he’s with his snow globe ..

x-mas christmas GIF by SWR Kindernetz

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not really, responsibility very different. JT plays like a winger at C, no defensive responsibility. 
Wing and C are very different positions. 

don't you think he took on more of that role tho as the year went on?

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And because the Flyers did it it means we wanna be that type of team? I

Why argue something nobody has said?

Someone asked if it was possible, they didn't say they wanted to see it happen.

Maybe just say you were wrong about Homlgren's signings and move on.

It is not dishonourable to admit a mistake.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

“Promotion” to get him out of that role, lol.

And because the Flyers did it it means we wanna be that type of team? I guarantee Rutherford and co have more class than that. 

The Flyers have been brutal since that trade. Bad karma for a team that could have had a much longer window.

You suggested that a) no team trades contracts they just signed and b) it would severely hamper the reputation of a club.  I was simply addressing that this isn't always the case.

As far as the Flyers go, I'd say getting Jakub Voracek and Sean Couturier from that deal was pretty significant, even if they did fail miserably in a quest for a cup.  They certainly faired far better than Columbus did in that trade.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Actually that's something that has not dawned on me yet. Schenn could work out amazingly with him. I just had him penciled by Hughes...but it's perhaps time for Huggy to move on from Schenns protection, I think this talk of pairing him with OEL on his right side, or even Hughes on his off side could work out very well. 

I also would love to see Hughes and Rathbone on the PP together in pre season, just to see what they can cook up together.

I think communication can be under rated. Schenn helping Rathbone to understand his job could be great for him. Hughes doesn't really need the training wheels anymore. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

“Promotion” to get him out of that role, lol.

And because the Flyers did it it means we wanna be that type of team? I guarantee Rutherford and co have more class than that. 

The Flyers have been brutal since that trade. Bad karma for a team that could have had a much longer window.

Maybe the Flyers will hire Benning/Brod?  

Just now, Alflives said:

JTM is for sure playing the role of centre all over the ice.  He might go back to wing (especially when we don’t have the puck) as he ages though. 

yeah that could be. I guess he could be a bit unique in this way as well, is there another winger that takes as many face offs as JT?

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That might be Stawnzy ,.   I think he is still disgruntled by this signing..

Don’t think we’ll see him for a bit,  perhaps at the 10 game mark.

in the meantime he’s with his snow globe ..

x-mas christmas GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Might be mixing me another batch of Koolaid to drink.

Wonder when Miller will be in town? New baby and fam in tow...could be a week or two.

• Haha 1

Just now, AV. said:

You suggested that a) no team trades contracts they just signed and b) it would severely hamper the reputation of a club.  I was simply addressing that this isn't always the case.

As far as the Flyers go, I'd say getting Jakub Voracek and Sean Couturier from that deal was pretty significant, even if they did fail miserably in a quest for a cup.  They certainly faired far better than Columbus did in that trade.

So by saying no team does it, it means it’s very uncommon. You’re taking it too literally. You found one example of it, good job!

Most GMs have more class and common sense than to trade a player before their deal even kicks in.

As for Philly doing well I’m not sure the owners would agree. They had a team that was two wins away from a cup to one that traded two of their best players, one right after signing a new long term deal. Doesn’t really seem like a Gm with a direction. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1