The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Agreed. He seems like a good guy and seems genuinely happy to be in Vancouver. I would really like to see him do well.

I did not like this trade at first. Stillman had a bad year last year. Chicago was one of the worst teams in the league and Stillman was arguably the worst of the Chicago's regular defenceman and was sometimes a healthy scratch. That is consistent with the underlying analytics from last year. With everyone healthy (a big if, I know) Stillman is maybe #7 or # 8 on the Vancouver depth chart at D. And even now with Dermott out, it is not obvious he should start ahead of Rathbone at LD.

But, on the plus side, he was a lot better the previous year. And he is still pretty young. There is a decent chance he has a bounceback year this year. And of course he brings things to the table (toughness, physical play) that do not figure into most of the stats. So he is more valuable than he looks from the stat line.

So I am hoping for the best. I still want to see what Vancouver does with the freed up cap space.

I tend to err on the side of giving him the benefit of the doubt..........no one's game should be judged while on a sh!tshow of a team the way Chicago is right now.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I tend to err on the side of giving him the benefit of the doubt..........no one's game should be judged while on a sh!tshow of a team the way Chicago is right now.

glad to see you're high on this player. I don't know if we're expecting Bieksa 2.0 or if thats even fair to expect, but it seems like this was a solid move. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

glad to see you're high on this player. I don't know if we're expecting Bieksa 2.0 or if thats even fair to expect, but it seems like this was a solid move. 

I don't know if I'm high on him, as I don't know enough about him, but I like the move in general.  I wonder if this puts Hughes back on rd?  Moving him over exposed the lack of depth on ld, which is why I think they moved him back.  If Stillman works out at 3ld, then moving Hughes to rd is a little more palatable.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't know if I'm high on him, as I don't know enough about him, but I like the move in general.  I wonder if this puts Hughes back on rd?  Moving him over exposed the lack of depth on ld, which is why I think they moved him back.  If Stillman works out at 3ld, then moving Hughes to rd is a little more palatable.

it could be. I do think the risk of injury for Hughes might be the bigger factor. If he gets crushed because he has to turn away from the play thats the end of the season right there probably. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it could be. I do think the risk of injury for Hughes might be the bigger factor. If he gets crushed because he has to turn away from the play thats the end of the season right there probably. 

those kinds of plays are more likely to be in your own end and when you're in the dzone, you're not really playing a specific side, you're just playing off your partner.  The rd/ld is more in the nzone and ozone

Stillman is a breathe of fresh air.  Seems completely down to earth.  Actually speaks like an actual intelligent human being rather than a drone, dissimilar to a bunch of other players.  

He plays with intensity, grit, fire  and thats exactly what ive been saying weve been missing from our backend. 

Also got some good upside.  Really hope he grows with the team. 

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes. Add in Schenn as well and we got some feistiness on our D finally

Even OEL is feisty and demands accountability out there. He doesn’t shy away from the rough stuff and will go after the biggest guy on the ice if he has to. There’s a reason why he was the captain for Arizona, he’s a team first kind of guy and I love the leadership he has back there.

If we can add Phillipe Myers, not many people are going to want to mess with us infront of Demko.

The thing is that when you have enough of these players infused all over the line up, others are influenced and step up to the plate as well. Petey stepped up to Conor Timmins after injuring Garland. Pearson is also a guy who has developed a mean side to him since I’d say last year. Podkolzin has a lot of pushback as does Garland. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Even OEL is feisty and demands accountability out there. He doesn’t shy away from the rough stuff and will go after the biggest guy on the ice if he has to. There’s a reason why he was the captain for Arizona, he’s a team first kind of guy and I love the leadership he has back there.

If we can add Phillipe Myers, not many people are going to want to mess with us infront of Demko.

The thing is that when you have enough of these players infused all over the line up, others are influenced and step up to the plate as well. Petey stepped up to Conor Timmins after injuring Garland. Pearson is also a guy who has developed a mean side to him since I’d say last year. Podkolzin has a lot of pushback as does Garland. 

Garland has pushback and OEL is fiesty like a mosquito against a semi truck.

• Cheers 1