The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks have had split-squad preseason games in the past as well. They had it in: 2019, 2014, 2011 and 2010.

is this list comprehensive? I could swear they did them every year, with the possible exceptions of COVID interruptions. 

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Oh man, the hot takes everywhere on the Demise of Hoglander. I just knew the kid wasn’t going to let peons in the media and on Twitter write his Canuck obituary. 

A lot of talk about too many forwards, but there are several imo that I would move before I would give up on Hoglander.

e.g. Waive Dickie (save over $1m cap).

Hogz is a beast!

Did you see him one-on-one against Petey?

EP did not win it or like it and Hoagie always plays EP very hard.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

A lot of talk about too many forwards, but there are several imo that I would move before I would give up on Hoglander.

Hogz is a beast!

Yes waiving Dickinson is a no risk move. If he clears, we save cap space. If he's taken, we get rid of cap space. 

Either way, the team doesn't fall off too much without him in the line up. 

Ofcourse I'm hoping for a bounce back year though if he is on the roster. 

He was supposed to be our tough matchup guy. All the hype coming in last year was that he relishes playing against the top guys etc... He then fell flat on his face. Hopefully he takes some pride and trained his butt off this summer

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Hogz is a beast!

And listen to Myers here towards the end of the clip warn team newcomer about Hogz. (Myers is so damn smooth on skates, wow).

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Vermette9 said:

Haha saw that after the initial shock wore off and I read a little bit further ... like 2 posts down.. hahaha weird way to post the rosters. Got me !

I’m thinking it must be the template they use that automatically posts the roster in a format that looks like lines and pairings, even if intended as just a numerical order list.

Otherwise, somebody with the team was definitely having some fun trolling the fans.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

Huge few days for Hoglander. Really rooting for the kid. 

I think Hoggy is going to play every preseason game and deserves the chance to prove himself.  Like Boudreau said, any player can have a few good days but if he can prove himself over the entire camp, he's going to force a tough decision.  It looks like he's still on the same (top) AHL line for today's game in Calgary.

I think he's better off on the top line in Abbotsford (and first call up for the top 9) than on the 4th line with the Canucks or in the press box though.

Totally pulling for Hoglander.  Make it happen kid!

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I do hope Boudreau uses a NHL-looking lineup for at least the final two preseason games, something that Green didn't do last year. We need that chemistry going ahead of our season opener instead of leaving things to the last minute.

He seems to be keeping his original (projected) lines and D pairs together for the games tonight at least.  Even though he's not playing the Miller line or Huggy and OEL.  It's only as we get thru most of the cuts and have to make the final few decisions that he may have to change up some of the lines

The way it's shaping up, I'd be surprised if your wish doesn't come true.

hoagy, rathbone, Dermott, dekeyser, should get a lot of ice, followed by Kuz and Milkey so they build some chemistry

dipietro should also play 1-2 games to see where he is at but he will also prob get an Ahl training camp too, martins, that should get the bulk of reps to get in the groove Kirilly the new Russian draft pick plays on the right side of D, I hope he develops well win W this year, could be good late pick, we are due for a later round pick to blossom

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes waiving Dickinson is a no risk move. If he clears, we save cap space. If he's taken, we get rid of cap space. 

Either way, the team doesn't fall off too much without him in the line up. 

Ofcourse I'm hoping for a bounce back year though if he is on the roster. 

He was supposed to be our tough matchup guy. All the hype coming in last year was that he relishes playing against the top guys etc... He then fell flat on his face. Hopefully he takes some pride and trained his butt off this summer

How's Dickinson faring in camp so far?  I've heard no mention of him by the media.  I think that since Boudreau has slotted him at centre in camp, he wants him to play there but really, isn't Lazar, as the only right handed centre, the logical choice.  Lazar was more productive 8-8-16 in 70 games and 48.9% on the dot last year and Dickinson was 5-6-11 in 62 games and 42.6% and way more cap friendly.

Like you say, putting Dickinson on waivers is just good cap management :lol:

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

How's Dickinson faring in camp so far?  I've heard no mention of him by the media.  I think that since Boudreau has slotted him at centre in camp, he wants him to play there but really, isn't Lazar, as the only right handed centre, the logical choice.  Lazar was more productive 8-8-16 in 70 games and 48.9% on the dot last year and Dickinson was 5-6-11 in 62 games and 42.6% and way more cap friendly.

Like you say, putting Dickinson on waivers is just good cap management :lol:

Heard they were using each guy on their strong sides for faceoffs.  I think for defensive duties, Dickinson might be doing that though.

• Thanks 1