The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 19 players - Oct. 08, 2022

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Wolanin seemed to be doing good. Hopefully no one claims him.

Wonder if this is maximizing roster flexibility. If he clears, great, and maybe stays as 8th defenseman to start the year. 

But if better names show up on waivers these days, we can pick up without worrying about papering someone down.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Waivers] 19 players - Oct. 08, 2022

Kale Clague is interesting. Maybe we take a flyer on Valimaki though.

Nows the time to experiment with some of these younger guys. Maybe we find a gem in another teams castoff.

Might be worth it to keep waiting though. Seems like the talent will get better and better closer to the roster deadline.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

Is Valimaki an upgrade?  They had high hopes for him .  1.55 mil cap hit

Depends on what role they could use for him?  We're stacked on LD as is (OEL, Hughes, Rathbone, now Stillman who should play the secondary defensive minutes, while Quinn and Bones take the offensive duties), so unless Hughes finds an RD role again and they want him to beat out Rathbone as a secondary puck mover, I don't think he really has a role here (Dermott's probably not out for long either).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

Lowkey nervous about both Wolanen and Dries.

Wolanen was good in camp, but I guess the team wants Stillman above him.

Dries probably won't be taken since he struggles in the NHL a fair bit. Want to see him in Abby this year.

23 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Another proof that playing good in camp sometimes don’t mean anything. Wolanin was good. 

Wolanin showed very well.

But this is a business; the players you have under contract take precedence over those you can keep in the minors until needed.

Only absolute studs like Quinn and Petey and Podz leap-frog borderline players hoping to make the last cut.

The trade for Stillman sealed Wolanin's fate (and I do not believe he will be the last hopeful to be sent down).

I was really impressed with his game though and hope he clears.

• Cheers 1

If Wolanin clears, the Canucks will have excellent left side depth this year, assuming Stillman is able to solidify a role in the bottom pair or as a 7D. The right side depth is certainly getting tested early with Myers out, but I'm not too uncomfortable with Schenn/Poolman/Burroughs for opening night. Juulsen is also a solid fill-in if the injury Gods continue to have a sense of humour. 

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Makes me wonder if the Dickinson trade happened a day later, the Canucks could've traded Dickinson and lower draft pick to Chicago , not get Stillman and pick up Valimaki off waivers instead? 

Can Valimaki lower the boom?

I am looking forward to the added truculence.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1