The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Oilers Oct 12/22 7:00PM PST SN/SN650/CHED

Rate this topic

Odd.

2nd period observations:

- The high Stick to Hughes should've killed the play, at the very least, if not a 4 minute high sticking call. That said, we've been relatively lucky with calls going our way, and not capitalizing on the Power play is just as big of a sin.

- Speaking of Power plays, the Oilers have a very lethal Power Play. Holy cow.

- I don't blame Stillman for getting danced by McDavid. Just glad it didn't go in.

- Canucks are shaken. Plenty of golden chances were fanned, and the Oil are clawing for a win. They need an energy boost. One goal. Perhaps a fight, even. Joshua, meet Nurse?

I predict a tight checking 3rd, going scoreless into overtime.

GCG!

some fans look like they are folding before the team here.

tied going into the third, coilers doing what they do all season getting worked until they hit the PP....tends to happen when you have two of the best players.

its not over yet.

2 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

more period 1 and less period two please. Our defense did much worse that period. In the first we did a really good job at pressuring the blue line and keeping them outside. in the second we let up multiple odd man rushes that were mostly our own faults and allowed too many cross ice passes. 

Edmonton is not doing any dump and chase or doing it very well. pressuring incoming forwards off the puck is important to stopping their momentum

I think we need to get use to this with the defense we are icing.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, shiznak said:

Canucks have 6 powerplays and people are still complaining about the refs, because of one missed call.

All extremely easy calls to make though. They could have had 12 powerplays tonight. Oilers are extremely undisciplined. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We just know Edmonton is getting more power plays next period. I feel defeated. The pk has to be better. One more thing can we play any other team other than Edmonton in Edmonton. It feels like we have to play them the first game of the year every year. I just don't want to hear at the end of the game we had our chances, just couldn't bury them.

Remember, our defense is one of the worst of league and essentially the exact same as last year - if not worse and JR failed to correct any of the deficiencies on the back end. 

Until some of the bad JB contracts are burned thru, JR won't be able to do much.

Just now, CanuckFan1123 said:

Very nice! I assume it’s similar in preseason, but if you get a shot, definitely do a regular season game! It’s fun there! 

I know! When the Montreal Canadiens came to town last season, boy was I there!  When the Canucks came to town, boy was I there and unpopular!

• Haha 1

Just now, kilgore said:

Bizzare how it doesn't matter if they bring in new players, or even change the coaches, you don't see any other PP strategy from this coaching staff

Well I also kinda feel like its also a bit too much finesse on the PP. Too many guys that like to touch the puck. Need someone to just bear down and go hard to the net. The reason we have too much perimeter play is because with all that skill, the play begins to move outward, looking for the skill play, rather than just creating havoc and openings. We’re looking for openings, not creating. Time to take some skill off that PP and just someone to take the goalies eyes away and draw defenders to the crease. Once they D move in, the forwards suck down to take the slot away. IMHO

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Honestly Boeser has looked like he's had at least an extra step compared to last season and I've been really impressed by his effort, especially considering he missed the entire preseason.

I think the biggest reason he seems less noticeable is that he's off PP1 and there has been quite a few penalties so far

Boeser should be on PP1 and Miller on PP2. Too many bad passes by Miller during the powerplay

2 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

more period 1 and less period two please. Our defense did much worse that period. In the first we did a really good job at pressuring the blue line and keeping them outside. in the second we let up multiple odd man rushes that were mostly our own faults and allowed too many cross ice passes. 

Edmonton is not doing any dump and chase or doing it very well. pressuring incoming forwards off the puck is important to stopping their momentum

Yup, really didn't help that we lost our best d-man to a high stick for most of the second period.  

We're playing a solid game so far but yes, need to get the momentum back. 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think we need to get use to this with the defense we are icing.

This is why we need a Rathbone or Wolanin back there. Too often we get guys who can't transition a puck and then it's just repetitive defensive shifts.