The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

The youngest captain in NHL history just won the cup last year. Before that, Stamkos was named captain at 24 and has done a great job with that team.

I see where you're coming from, but young captions can work as well. 

Fair enough!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Let's deal with our pp and pk before we start firing the coach.

Myers and Mikayev are a big part of that plus some new faces being put in that role. At least there’s a bit of an excuse there.

The powerplay on the other hand has no excuse. That’s a ton of skill there that should have no reason to struggle.

How King survived the coaching turnover I’ll never understand. The entire coaching staff needed to be let go (minus Clark). I don’t see what having someone Bruce wasn’t part of hiring accomplishes. The same issues that plagued us before are still there.

Can we just get Hank to run the powerplay when they’re at home? At least he knows what makes a powerplay successful. Seems like the first unit just cycles through the same three plays again and again and struggle against any pressure from the opposing pk.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Our defense isn't the only issue but 2 games in 8 goals against.  Can't give up 4 goals a game & win.

Burroughs looked good last night. Hope he plays that hard every night.

Hughes - Looked like he's scared to get hit, the league has taken note that in the defensive zone, plaster him, he'll start rushing & making mistakes. Same thing was noted on the PP obviously. Philly was pressuring Hughes & Petey the second they got the puck.

OEL - Steady game, didn't really stand out in any way. You want that from your 5/6 guys, you want something to pop off the sheet from your 1/2 dmen and nothing did at all except for how many board battles they lost collectively. 

Schenn - physical, steady, what we've come to expect from him. 

Stillman - didn't notice him much which is what you want from a 5/6.

I thought we were lucky to be up 2, certainly didn't reflect the play on the ice. The whole group is manure right now.

2 short handed goals, 1 empty netter. Of the rest, 1 were directly the fault of the dman (Hughes).

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

He and Petey were the best players from January on last season.

Probably the most generic answer to a specific question. Bo had an ok season last year... But you can't convince me his on ice play was elevated to the point of inspiring anyone.

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No chance Yeo is their number one choice. He’s proven he’s not head coach material.

If they do have another coach in mind it would be Barry Trotz IMO. Championship experience, local connections, and a history of developing strong defensive minded teams.

The only coach I'd want to replace Bruce would be Barry.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Smyl retired, we had 3 co-captains with Linden being one of them.  After that year Linden became the defacto captain at age 21 and the rest is history.  I can see the same happening here if BO is traded.  No co-captains but 4 assistant captains for a year and then Petey takes over the following year as the defacto captain.

Allows Petey to get a year experience with some support and less pressure. Great idea!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm really worried that Yeoh was hired to be the replacement.  I still think the D needs more time to be evaluated due to the damage Green and Baumgartner did to that group over their tenure here.  This is the group's first full season under an actual coach and there will be some growing pains.  While they do need one more top 4 guy, it's nowhere nearly as bad as Toronto or Edmonton.

If Baums and Greens influence hasn’t already been extinguished from their game, it says more about the player and not being able to Adjust than anything. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Probably the most generic answer to a specific question. Bo had an ok season last year... But you can't convince me his on ice play was elevated to the point of inspiring anyone.

I would argue he was underachieving the first half of the season and only played his "Normal" play for the second half. Not what I expect from the Captain. 

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If Baums and Greens influence hasn’t already been extinguished from their game, it says more about the player and not being able to Adjust than anything. 

Hopefully it's gone,  but it's still going to take some time to build them back.  Last year we kept seeing the lasting damage that those two idiots caused.  They not only didn't understand the game, they poisoned the locker room with their lack of professionalism.  I'll give the guys 20 games or so; we haven't had a camp run by an actual NHL coach since Torts and it's going to be an adjustment.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Our defense isn't the only issue but 2 games in 8 goals against.  Can't give up 4 goals a game & win.

Burroughs looked good last night. Hope he plays that hard every night.

Hughes - Looked like he's scared to get hit, the league has taken note that in the defensive zone, plaster him, he'll start rushing & making mistakes. Same thing was noted on the PP obviously. Philly was pressuring Hughes & Petey the second they got the puck.

OEL - Steady game, didn't really stand out in any way. You want that from your 5/6 guys, you want something to pop off the sheet from your 1/2 dmen and nothing did at all except for how many board battles they lost collectively. 

Schenn - physical, steady, what we've come to expect from him. 

Stillman - didn't notice him much which is what you want from a 5/6.

I thought we were lucky to be up 2, certainly didn't reflect the play on the ice. The whole group is manure right now.

Hughes is scared to get hit.... hes half the size of half the other teams roster.

Burroughs has played well for what he is a 5/6/7 D man nice shot on the first goal though.

OEL has been our best D man so far. Moved the puck well.

Schenn exactly what you expect from him.plays above his contract again.

Stilman has been a pleasant surprise. I think he has moved the puck well and actually hit a few people.

Up front this team looks nothing like the team that finished the year last year and almost exactly like the team that started the year under Green. Cant score on the power play, gives up short handed goals. Cant kill a penalty. Its more of the same.If Jason King cant get it done fire his A$$. Thats been terrible. If one more guy tries to  make a cross ice pass at the blueline they should sit for the rest of the game no matter who it is.

I was concerned when we hired Yeo, hes been a loser in the NHL everywhere he has gone. Not a good look.

Miller is so casual with the back passes and back checking its laughable.

Horvat is either pouting or hurt. He has no energy and is nothing like the player we saw in the bubble a few years back.

Boeser is not ready to play and missing camp again has stunted his play

Petey and Garland have been great. if they hadnt been we would have been blown out both games.

Pearson has shown up in both games.

Kuzmenko looked good against the Oil but disappeared against the Flyers

Podkolzin looks like he is trying but struggling to hold on to the puck

Sadly the best line in yesterdays game was the fourth line. Lazar, Aman and Joshua were noticeable. And can they stop calling him Oman? Aman should sound a bit more like Ah-Man

Demko left alone again on a few plays and the winning goal JT was the goat. no real effort to stop the puck and a perfect touch pass to Laughton for the winner.have to be better than that in front of the net.

Now its only game 2, 80 to go and lots of time to figure it out but the early results have been scary. No more worries about a good start. We have started well.. Now its just a complete game they need to play.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Hughes is scared to get hit.... hes half the size of half the other teams roster.

Burroughs has played well for what he is a 5/6/7 D man nice shot on the first goal though.

OEL has been our best D man so far. Moved the puck well.

Schenn exactly what you expect from him.plays above his contract again.

Stilman has been a pleasant surprise. I think he has moved the puck well and actually hit a few people.

Up front this team looks nothing like the team that finished the year last year and almost exactly like the team that started the year under Green. Cant score on the power play, gives up short handed goals. Cant kill a penalty. Its more of the same.If Jason King cant get it done fire his A$$. Thats been terrible. If one more guy tries to  make a cross ice pass at the blueline they should sit for the rest of the game no matter who it is.

I was concerned when we hired Yeo, hes been a loser in the NHL everywhere he has gone. Not a good look.

Miller is so casual with the back passes and back checking its laughable.

Horvat is either pouting or hurt. He has no energy and is nothing like the player we saw in the bubble a few years back.

Boeser is not ready to play and missing camp again has stunted his play

Petey and Garland have been great. if they hadnt been we would have been blown out both games.

Pearson has shown up in both games.

Kuzmenko looked good against the Oil but disappeared against the Flyers

Podkolzin looks like he is trying but struggling to hold on to the puck

Sadly the best line in yesterdays game was the fourth line. Lazar, Aman and Joshua were noticeable. And can they stop calling him Oman? Aman should sound a bit more like Ah-Man

Demko left alone again on a few plays and the winning goal JT was the goat. no real effort to stop the puck and a perfect touch pass to Laughton for the winner.have to be better than that in front of the net.

Now its only game 2, 80 to go and lots of time to figure it out but the early results have been scary. No more worries about a good start. We have started well.. Now its just a complete game they need to play.

It’s pronounced Oh-man. 

othee than that I agree with your assessment. Not on the score sheet but OEL has been solid. I hope to see OEL/Burroughs together and see what they can do. Burroughs can play with anyone and I think that’s what helps him be successful. I do think Burroughs is a legitimate 5/6th defenseman that can be more. 

I’m sick of talking about Horvat. He needs to get going here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I appreciate millers critical self assessment 

so hope he comes out and battles / skates hard today and has a better game

That’s what makes me not angry at him at all. He does not bullshir one bit, he has a terrible couple of games he lets everyone know, he has fking emotion. This team needs more emotion, more try, more louder guys. Too many quiet guys in the room, very nonchalant.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

That’s what makes me not angry at him at all. He does not bullshir one bit, he has a terrible couple of games he lets everyone know, he has fking emotion. This team needs more emotion, more try, more louder guys. Too many quiet guys in the room, very nonchalant.

And more smarts

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

You guys don't get him at all.

It's not "disinterest....more disgust. Mostly directed at self. But he, himself, knows he has to curb those emotions a bit...he's talked about it. But also that the thing that has him wear his heart on his sleeve, even when it's a heavy heart, is the raw emotion and passion that also drives his game and play on the edge. It's a fine line and there's a balance to be struck. But to try to play with less emotion and curb those reactions is a tricky deal because it's just him being "all in"...in a good and a bad way. Disinterest is completely off the mark. 100%

I'm not worried about him. At all.

He turns 30 this season, and has been in the NHL for a decade....when do you think he will do it on the ice as opposed to a post-game media scrum?

• Cheers 2