The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday Oct 20/22 Vancouver Canucks (0-3-1) @ Minnesota Wild (0-3) at Xcel Energy Center 5:00pm PT SN360 SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

52 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So true, look how long it took to get retribution on Keith's hit on Daniel. Daniel was retired by then that's how long it took. I don't think Myers has played like that since, by the way.

Because he gets penalized every hit - his elbows are above every other player's head so it is an easy call for a ref

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Podkolzin got run twice last game without any answer from our team.  

It's starting to become embarrassing. It took Petey having to do something at the end of the game when he tried to hit Blankenburg back (but missed). 

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

why would they "respond" to a hit?  What's the point?  To take a penalty, put the theam on the pk and likely give up a goal?  Where's the logic in that?  Podz wasn't hurt, had no impact on the rest of his game.

Maybe you just answered your own question , if teams are taking libertys and getting away with it and you disagree with retaliation then maybe the canucks should be the team initiatiating runs at the opposition. Unless your one of the ref conspiracy guys  I’ve thought  this for a while. Crash the net if they do , target their stars when they do.  Or even better   Initiate it first , feel out the ref.  sacrifice a Pk  and if they get called for one later , then it’s even up and carry on with the same kind of aggression but sitting back when a response is expected and then do nothing , is nothing more than an invatation for more pummeling   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Can it stop him from being lazy and irresponsible. Hopefully. Sometimes that's the best with these types of players though. Just make the whole team aware he'll be floating around out there. Let him do his thing and insulate him with help from his teammates.

the problem is, many a trouble starts with the puck on Miller's stick

what is Mik supposed to do, play high all game so Miller can pass the puck to the other team at any minute?

Do we still have the giveaway stat? 

I recall a couple of times the Canucks and the Blue Jackets just gave the puck away about 3 times each

I know Miller was involved, and Hughes and Lazar come to mind

51 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If team has no intent in using Rathbone, send him to Abbotsford to get games.

Its useless to have him sitting in the pressbox.

That's what killed Rafferty's career  ... and likely DiPietro's as well 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Would rather have Hoglander in than Joshua. He was brought in to play a heavy game but instead doesn't throw any hits and gets tossed around. Might as well have kept Highmore or Lammikko.

4th line's are weird configurations sometimes. I don't think Hoglander cuts it there but he definitely has the work ethic. If you ever get to the playoffs you need somewhat of a heavy presence there. Not a couple water bugs. I will admit though Joshua has done pretty much nothing so meh whatever.

54 minutes ago, Maginator said:

No one holds the other team accountable when a big hit occurs on the ice. It's hockey FFS. It's supposed to be a rough sport. We need to start playing with some heart or this season is headed straight for the p!$$er. Really not interested in another season of barely missing the playoffs. We have the skill but it's time to battle for eachother. Skill single handedly won't win us games.

Sadly, it seems to be only Pearson and OEL stepping up to challenge.  If DK isn't going to do anything, swap him for Arseneau.  Would be a huge upgrade in grit and sandpaper

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

why would they "respond" to a hit?  What's the point?  To take a penalty, put the theam on the pk and likely give up a goal?  Where's the logic in that?  Podz wasn't hurt, had no impact on the rest of his game.

Nice to see you back Stawnzy :) 

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

JT Miller being insulated with two of the better defensive forwards.  

This is my favorite lineup theyve tried so far. 

Lets see how it works. Mik will get breakways, Miller and Garland can both bury the rebounds. Garland can set up chances from behind the net. And like you said, Miller insulated by two very responsible defensive forwards. 

Horvat seems to click well with Pearson and Boeser. 

Petey is Petey.

Burroughs in, Poolman out. 

This is about the best we can do with our current personnel, if its not enough then....

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, DanielCloutier said:

You just posted the foreshadowing of the rest of his career being stuck in the AHL because he's too old now for teams to consider bringing into the organization. He was about as good as Rathbone was in the AHL (put up less points but looked absolutely in control of everything like Bone did)and then they have him come up to sit a whole bunch of games. Gets one opportunity, panics knowing it's his only opportunity to impress and has 1 bad period. Settles in and has 2 decent periods. Not good enough. Relinquished. Never used again.

Now teams won't even look at him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Stevie Y said all he needed to say, on the ice. He was able to play in all aspects of the game, including physicality. He was one of my favorite players growing up because of this. 

Mine too.  Stevie y was one of the greats.  Just went out there, on the ice and led like a warrior every game.  His teammates would have battled thru hell for him.  Theres no one in the game like him currently.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DanielCloutier said:

i thought you were saying it didn’t happen for him due to lack of playing time, comparing him to rathbone, who’s stuck in the press box and not playing ahl games and dipietro, who was stuck in the taxi squad not playing ahl games. the criticisms around the management of those two players has more to do with being up with the big club but not playing and so the argument is that they should be sent down to play ahl games. 

you implied rafferty had the same thing happen to him, which he didn’t. i shared that link to show you he played a ton of ahl games every year after he left uni. 

No they were saying that he has been called up to the NHL just rotting not getting any games like Rafferty. 

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yup!  Start of the 2022-2023 Bruce There It Is Winning Streak!

Let's GO!

[Drop the puck already (before everybody gets to "work", where they spend all day on CDC, lol).]

Nope it's still pre-season, regular season begins at home vs Buffalo. Count on it, start the chant and we will see our canucks dominate first 15 games.... 

14 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

You just posted the foreshadowing of the rest of his career being stuck in the AHL because he's too old now for teams to consider bringing into the organization. He was about as good as Rathbone was in the AHL (put up less points but looked absolutely in control of everything like Bone did)and then they have him come up to sit a whole bunch of games. Gets one opportunity, panics knowing it's his only opportunity to impress and has 1 bad period. Settles in and has 2 decent periods. Not good enough. Relinquished. Never used again.

Now teams won't even look at him. 

I wouldn't compare the two of them. Rafferty was 24 when he had his first AHL season, Rathbone was 22 last year when he had his big AHL year.

Rathbone played a full season last year in the AHL and did extremely well. Sitting in the press box for 5 games isn't going to kill him, nor does it spoil his trade value at all. My guess is slow rotates into the lineup against weaker teams, which is ideal. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Fair enough. No need for the snark though. But Green's also they guy who was going to bench Brock for the wrong reasons.

Green benched Brock, Virtanage, Goldy, among others, and frequently benched players during games. Not saying I agree or disagree with the decisions, but benching was definitely a tool of his.

• Like 1