The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's probably why they included Pederson - to still save the cash.  Pederson is on a 1-way at 750K and was playing in the AHL - they are off-loading 750K to retain 400K on Baer.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Ethan Bear is a young right shot D man who had his best year getting top 4 minutes in Edmonton. We also need players like this. 

That's a caveat in itself though, Edmonton hasn't had a very good defense in years. One can point out he had 21 points in 71 games that year, one could also point that any D that spends any amount of ice-time with McDavid and Draisaitl is going to pick up points. 

21 minutes ago, AV. said:

Lol.

They couldn't have waited a week until he hit waivers?

Dumbest franchise in the league.  By a landslide.

Acquiring thru waivers would mean he stays on the roster. Reg Dmen coming back he has to clear waivers unless  with this opportunity he proves otherwise.  Needs are being filled even if it’s on an interim basis. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

I agree that's probably what they're thinking, but I've seen this song and dance with potential before. I just don't expect him to move the needle a whole lot, and I question whether he'll be worth qualifying at 2.2M. Guess we'll find out. 

I suspect the Canucks already know via Bear's agent that an extension under his QO is likely. Its not unusual around the league right now. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Giving out two picks within a month isn't an encouraging sign for those like myself who advocate for keeping our own picks and using them to draft and develop our own players though. This ain't Benning PTSD, this is a management group that came in saying they value picks and want to get younger who've now gone and traded two picks within a month. 

Bear will be 26 before next season begins, I'm of the opinion that he largely is what he is at this point.

I know, I get the pick thing and there is a logic there. I don't care too much about 5th rounders, but that 2nd to move Dickie hurt. 

My glass 1/2 full tells me we might have a neat 3rd pair in the making - Rathbone and Baer might be a good fit, or maybe we get lucky and OEL-Bear works and we can move on from Myers. 

• Vintage 1

Don’t like the ongoing bleeding of pics.

Feels like we are mortgaging the future to get the chance to pic 12th instead of top 5 in a great draft year. 
In isolation a decent trade. Desperate need position wise, retention and a fifth not terribly expensive.  A depth C as well. 

• Upvote 1