The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Nov. 08, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I appreciate your subtle, nuanced takes, I really do :metal:

For sure, he never overreacts, nor is he ever overly dramatic either (wink)......... I vote for him to replace Dan Murphy, can you imagine how hilarious and uncomfortable those interviews would be?

Edited by Harold Drunken

well per usual ive been working nights so cant watch some games but....im happy for the win and feels good to see Rathbone back in the lineup....hes been good this year...keep him or at least burroughs or dermott....stillman has played himself out of the lineup for now. 

This season, I'm not getting too excited when they score and win a game, I'm not getting too upset when they lose. I have low expectations for the Canucks. Even if they go on a run and get into a wildcard spot, this isn't the team that's going to really do anything.

Rathbone, Stillman, Poolman, Myers, OEL - these Ds are not helping much, if at all. JR/PA have a lot of work to do, and it could take years. I'm assuming they're going to play the patience game and maybe make a trade or two by the TDL. I just hope they don't give up on players like Podkolzin and Hoglander to try and get rid of bad contracts.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This season, I'm not getting too excited when they score and win a game, I'm not getting too upset when they lose. I have low expectations for the Canucks. Even if they go on a run and get into a wildcard spot, this isn't the team that's going to really do anything.

Rathbone, Stillman, Poolman, Myers, OEL - these Ds are not helping much, if at all. JR/PA have a lot of work to do, and it could take years. I'm assuming they're going to play the patience game and maybe make a trade or two by the TDL. I just hope they don't give up on players like Podkolzin and Hoglander to try and get rid of bad contracts.  

You don't understand sports if you don't understand how momentum/confidence play a huge part.

Go on a run and it starts coming together. We just showed that our strength is to outscore the opponent...even IF our d isn't strong. That's the name of the game...outscore your opponent and get the 2 points.

We've also shown pushback that is encouraging. Although I'd love it if Schenn didn't have to do the bulk of the fighting, he's very capable.

Playoffs weigh heavily on goaltending and scoring....if Demko finds his form again (I'm sure he will), who knows. You don't and I certainly don't.

Tell me we can't outscore our opponents with Petey, Bo, Miller, Mik, Kuz, etc. That's a lot of firepower when they're on.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Can you elaborate and provide some context to when and where he said "defenseman don't matter". And what information you are using to refer to Yeo as a "scumbag"? Just curious that's all. 

I think the statement if that is what he is refering to was. " The defence is not the problem, this d core would do fine under a structure system!"  The scumbag statement is all in his head. 

• Cheers 1

• -DLC- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
7 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

I think the statement if that is what he is refering to was. " The defence is not the problem, this d core would do fine under a structure system!"  The scumbag statement is all in his head. 

how is that a 'scumbag' statement? 

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

We will see, this road trip is going to be a telling story.  Tor, Bos, and Buf three games in 5 nights would be a test for even the top teams in the NHL. If they play like last night they are toast. Play like they did in the third they have a chance.  This puts management into tough decision , if they lose most the games do they blow things up, even though the last part of the road trip is a huge test. if they play 500 hockey off this road trip then what? The playoffs are still along and difficult take. Do they still make huge changes with the players showing more promise? Would this be the best time to do trades when value of players would be going up? 

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

My takeways:

5. Great to see the win for Bruce. LIke most of CDC I think Rutherford's criticisms are off the mark and Rutherford should take a lot of the blame for the poor start. Maybe he was just strategically trying to motivate the team, but I think it was a cheap shot.This team is not good enough but that is on JR (and Benning), not Bruce.

Maybe this team needs a coach that has a system that plays low event hockey ? 

Was listening to the folks on 650 and they mentioned the divide of “structure”.

BB tried to get them to play in a different style that management wants but it is not working. They can’t seem to do it. BB looks like he is giving up on the idea and going to the 2 forecheck system like they did in the 3rd where they seem to thrive. This is how they played last season when he arrived and they were more successful.

It is quite the pickle for BB.

High pressure forecheck versus conservative defensive play. That seems to be the difference. 

I would say let BB do his thing to win games.

Edited by grandmaster
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Mean statement to make for sure. BB can only do so much with his top D men not making smart decisions on the ice. It's not a structure thing, it's what is going on between the ears of the players. 

dunno, I mean he's not wrong tho. Overall team defensive play has had a lot of bad positioning and lapses.

These guys are two of the oldest dudes in the game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if JR told Bruce what he was going to say before the interview. Or if he didn't I doubt JR says anything in public that he doesn't say directly to Bruce.

I think scumbag would be reserved for sandbagging your coach, which I don't think is the case here. 

Edited by JM_

Super impressed with Bear. He is a great addition to the right side. Rathbone had a good game as well. He can get the puck out of our zone better than most. OEL and Myers are really struggling this year for some reason. Trade one or both for scraps, if possible. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Was listening to the folks on 650 and they mentioned the divide of “structure”.

BB tried to get them to play in a different style that management wants but it is not working. They can’t seem to do it. BB looks like he is giving up on the idea and going to the 2 forecheck system like they did in the 3rd where they seem to thrive. This is how they played last season when he arrived and they were more successful.

It is quite the pickle for BB.

High pressure forecheck versus conservative defensive play. That seems to be the difference. 

I would say let BB do his thing to win games.

To some degree, you can do both. Make simple, structured, safe defensive plays in your own end, forecheck like hell to keep it at the other end as much as possible.

One of the big issues is a lack of personnel on the back end able to bridge that. You need guys on the back end capable of playing smart defense, being in position etc AND able to get the puck up to the forwards (who also need to play with structure to support that).

We don't really have that beyond a couple guys. And we don't play in a manner that mitigates those issues.

• Cheers 1

Entertaining game!

4-1-1 is a good turn around after our start and we could be in a playoff position tonight with in win. unreal.

Garland had a real strong game and who are our top +/- ? Mikheyev (speed) and Schenner(tough) both 'hard to play against'... i think JR mentioned that attribute once or twice.

Bear has been a nice additional. Not perfect but thought OEL and him were a good pairing previously.

Would like to see Burroughs in over Rathbone just to shore our defensive game.

or dare I say sit Myers....:shock: