The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Garland(Canucks) for Greenway (Wild)

Minnesota is rumoured to be looking for some top 6 help: 

I'd expect the #mnwild to make a roster move after the game or by Friday as long as they come out healthy tonight (Rossi or Petan) to Iowa. And, this does not change what I've reported: The Wild are looking for top-six help.

Would a swap of Garland for Greenway be something possible? Could be get a pick back from them as well or a C or RHD prospect back like Simon Johansson?

Canucks shed 1.9m in cap space going forward and gain a big winger who could play on the 3rd line.
  • Like 3

I wonder about this. Guerin traded for Ryan Reaves recently, which provides the Wild with a solid intimidation factor, although an intimidation factor that is pretty limited. Would the Wild not want to have both players instead? 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

44 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Minnesota is rumoured to be looking for some top 6 help: 

I'd expect the #mnwild to make a roster move after the game or by Friday as long as they come out healthy tonight (Rossi or Petan) to Iowa. And, this does not change what I've reported: The Wild are looking for top-six help.

Would a swap of Garland for Greenway be something possible? Could be get a pick back from them as well or a C or RHD prospect back like Simon Johansson?

Canucks shed 1.9m in cap space going forward and gain a big winger who could play on the 3rd line.

Minnesota seems pretty committed to a heavy lineup.

32 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

What’s the word on Greenway’s shoulder injury?
Only played 4 games this year before returning against the Nucks, played 2:58 before leaving after a hit from OEL. Seems like a pretty significant injury for a big man.

Health is definitely a factor-cant be giving up Garland for nothing but boy would Greenway (if he plays to his potential) be a nice addition 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do this in a heartbeat.  I'd even do it for Boeser if they threw in a pick or a prospect...

I think if there were a deal to be made (unlikely as it is) b/t these two clubs it would be including Boeser as well.  Hometown kid & 'Da Beauty League' legend and all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder about this. Guerin traded for Ryan Reaves recently, which provides the Wild with a solid intimidation factor, although an intimidation factor that is pretty limited. Would the Wild not want to have both players instead? 

Minnesota needs scoring help.  They have lots of heavyweights now with Reaves, Middleton, Foligno and Greenway.  I think they can afford to give one up for scoring help.  Garland or Boeser would do the trick.  They might be more interested in Boeser.  Greenway plus a pick or prospect for Boeser I would do.  Greenway would balance out our lineup on the 3rd line with Podkolzin.  

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I'd be concerned about Greenway's lack of durability (he's missed around 15 games/ season since 2018-2019, when he had his career high 81 games played), so in actuality he might not be the power winger that he looks to be on paper.  If we were to trade a reliable winger like Garland for him, I'd want a pretty significant add (e.g., if they would add their defensive prospect in former 2nd round pick Ryan O'Rourke who's physical and also mobile, then I'd probably be down for it) or swap Greenway out altogether for Foligno.

Frankly, I don't think our teams are the best partners for a trade.  Their need is for a center (I was on the Wild fan forum, and they were hoping to get someone like Horvat) but they don't have what we need in a top RHD with defensive prowess (Brodin's a LD, Dumba's offensively skilled but error prone, Spurgeon might be too small; their puck-moving prospects are RHD, which is not what we really need).  At most, if we want to tear things down and sell for some futures, I'd hope we get Dumba for Garland and give him top PP, then sell both him and Myers at the deadline to the highest bidders.

I would be trading for Greenway 25--6'6--225lbs big physical winger you can play in many different situations if skill players are getting roughed up. Salary 3 million X 3 yrs - Should get you GP 60 -- 10  G -- 30 points

I like Greenway but have to make sure shoulder is okay playing his style of game..

Greenway -- 2nd rounder 2023

Garland

I'd much rather we trade Garland for a defenceman than focus on ANOTHER winger. If this team makes any more acquisitions for wingers I won't know what to think - they just keep neglecting defencemen. We've got a great chance to acquire a defenceman for a winger and solidify our struggling defence, but if we use our last chip in Garland for just another winger it'll show this management don't know what they're doing and are focussing on the wrong area.

Greenway would be nice but is not essential. A top-4 defenceman is essential. We've just gotten lucky that 7th defencemen Schenn and Bear have been playing out of their skins for us, we got unlucky when we thought 7th defenceman Stillman would as well - but got what we deserved there. We keep neglecting D-men hoping that these cheap guys who don't cut it on other teams will somehow carry us.

Pay the price - drop a top winger for a top defenceman. It's the only way forward.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd much rather we trade Garland for a defenceman than focus on ANOTHER winger. If this team makes any more acquisitions for wingers I won't know what to think - they just keep neglecting defencemen. We've got a great chance to acquire a defenceman for a winger and solidify our struggling defence, but if we use our last chip in Garland for just another winger it'll show this management don't know what they're doing and are focussing on the wrong area.

Greenway would be nice but is not essential. A top-4 defenceman is essential. We've just gotten lucky that 7th defencemen Schenn and Bear have been playing out of their skins for us, we got unlucky when we thought 7th defenceman Stillman would as well - but got what we deserved there. We keep neglecting D-men hoping that these cheap guys who don't cut it on other teams will somehow carry us.

Pay the price - drop a top winger for a top defenceman. It's the only way forward.

I agree but Garland is Not going to return a top 4 RHD. We have enough skilled forwards so moving out a smaller skilled guy to add some size at forward isn't the worst type of deal to make if we can clear 2m in cap along the way.

I would move Garland for a pick and or prospect to clear his full 4.95m cap hit but not many teams can do that, would Buffalo have interest...could then maybe get a rhd like Jokiharju back but he is another Bear-esque type of D.