The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That I could see

I'd need someone to explain their argument as to why they thought Gavrikov was worth a 1st, he doesn't seem all that amazing to me 

Would love Gavrikov here. He's one of the best PKing D in the league. 3rd in PK mins 6th in D zone starts

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That I could see

I'd need someone to explain their argument as to why they thought Gavrikov was worth a 1st, he doesn't seem all that amazing to me 

Would be perfect 3LD for us. Physical, solid defensively, excellent PK 'er, young'ish...

Doubt he gets a 1st ++ but he certainly has value for a lot of the same reasons Schenn has value.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Would love Gavrikov here. He's one of the best PKing D in the league. 3rd in PK mins 6th in D zone starts

But would you give up a 1st for him? That's the part I have a hard time seeing. Short of it being like.. Boston or something where it's more likely to be a late one. 

Could see him getting like a 2nd and a B prospect like Sharpshooter was saying. Which isn't anything to sniff at but still. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would be perfect 3LD for us. Physical, solid defensively, excellent PK 'er, young'ish...

Doubt he gets a 1st ++ but he certainly has value for a lot of the same reasons Schenn has value.

Fair enough, what would you give? 

I know it's the deadline and all but Columbus's ask just seems a little ridiculous. Of course they're going to negotiate high but still. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But would you give up a 1st for him? That's the part I have a hard time seeing. Short of it being like.. Boston or something where it's more likely to be a late one. 

Could see him getting like a 2nd and a B prospect like Sharpshooter was saying. Which isn't anything to sniff at but still. 

Oh in that case.

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

I think he goes this week and probably for a combo of mid picks and low level prospect at most. If he manages to secure CBJ a 1st+ I will be shocked and will call teams myself on behalf of mgmt! 

Why would you be shocked? People on here’s been calling Schenn to return a 2nd.. isnt that more shocking relatively? 

At this point.. don’t move Schenn.. the guy’s having a child. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Definitely agree he is being under valued on this board...

37% starts in the D-zone yet when on the ice his team has a respectable 46.3% corsi and a 39.3% GF%... considering his teammates and comparing vs the rest of the leagues shutdown d he has above average success... and when he controls the puck, he hardly turns it over.. I would say he is a 5th defenceman on a contender, possibly 4th for some teams... @50% retained he will likely get a 1st and the + or ++ will be determined by the cap dump coming back, surely...

Schenn is a different player and teams serious about a cup would want him for depth... he technically can play top 4... but he will require a player at least close to Hughes skill in exiting the zone, controlling the puck and skating speed... I could see why Boston might want him as hampus lindholm fits all those bills but likely is a 7th dman on that team... on calgary he is an immediate upgrade over Stone but still wont be more than a 6th on that team...

• Cheers 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, Strawbone said:

I know it's a ridiculous ask, but I wouldn't trade him for any less than a late 1st, especially if Schenn wants to stay here. We need more guys like him, not less.

Schenn is 33 year4s old? If you can get a 2nd rounder or prospect you must trade him? Canucks are 18th to 22nd next year Schenn will get slower and might be a # 7 OR # 8 guy soon..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Fair enough, what would you give? 

I know it's the deadline and all but Columbus's ask just seems a little ridiculous. Of course they're going to negotiate high but still. 

I could totally see it. Well a first anyways. Dmen have huge value to the right team heading into playoffs. He's like Schenn but twice as good and young.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

For us? I'd wait until July 1 and see what he'd cost as a UFA.

CBJ has been trying to extend him but they are too far apart.   He's at 2.8M and that's not really 3rd pairing money already.  They gave Gudbranson 4M so got to think it's more than that.

He's represented by Millstein.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Why would you be shocked? People on here’s been calling Schenn to return a 2nd.. isnt that more shocking relatively? 

At this point.. don’t move Schenn.. the guy’s having a child. 

I’m not sure if you’re arguing that Schenn is worth a 2nd or not, but he is to me and that’s not necessarily being biased either.

Schenn has extensive and invaluable playoff experience, won cups and knows the grind of post season. He’s well respected around the league and revered by teammates. And he’s currently leading the league in hits and has been a stand out Dman on a team with an abhorrent ability to do any defending. He’s also outplaying guys 10 years his younger. He’s only making near league min. He has huge heart, he’s a leader, his next contract is probably going to be at most half of what Gavrikov makes. He’s definitely worth a 2nd. 

Gavrikov is a more expensive, poor man’s version of Schenn less the leadership qualities and experience.
I’d argue he has better offensive upside, but plays a very respectable D game and is still only 27.

He’s also UFA and going to command a raise (even if just inflationary).

He’s solid, but he’s not worth that much future currency for where he should fit in a playoff club lineup. He’s a 5-6 on a cup winner. But guess what, so is Schenn with the way he’s playing. 

For me, I’d rather trade for Schenn. You give up less in assets, you have a shorter contract to be bound to if things go sour, he’s way cheaper now and next year than Gavrikov for arguably better performance, he’s rarely inconsistent, and he instantly adds veteran warrior character to your dressing room. 

Edited by RWJC

28 minutes ago, mll said:

CBJ has been trying to extend him but they are too far apart.   He's at 2.8M and that's not really 3rd pairing money already.  They gave Gudbranson 4M so got to think it's more than that.

He's represented by Millstein.

Maybe after we "buyout OEL" :lol:

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not sure if you’re arguing that Schenn is worth a 2nd or not, but he is to me and that’s not necessarily being biased either.

Schenn has extensive and invaluable playoff experience, won cups and knows the grind of post season. He’s well respected around the league and revered by teammates. And he’s currently leading the league in hits and has been a stand out Dman on a team with an abhorrent ability to do any defending. He’s also outplaying guys 10 years his younger. He’s only making near league min. He has huge heart, he’s a leader, his next contract is probably going to be at most half of what Gavrikov makes. He’s definitely worth a 2nd. 

Gavrikov is a more expensive, poor man’s version of Schenn less the leadership qualities and experience.
I’d argue he has better offensive upside, but plays a very respectable D game and is still only 27.

He’s also UFA and going to command a raise (even if just inflationary).

He’s solid, but he’s not worth that much future currency for where he should fit in a playoff club lineup. He’s a 5-6 on a cup winner. But guess what, so is Schenn with the way he’s playing. 

For me, I’d rather trade for Schenn. You give up less in assets, you have a shorter contract to be bound to if things go sour, he’s way cheaper now and next year than Gavrikov for arguably better performance, he’s rarely inconsistent, and he instantly adds veteran warrior character to your dressing room. 

Schenn's great. But any team trading for Schenn is playing him 3RD at best. A 3RD rental is not worth a 2nd. That's how I view it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Schenn has almost double the points, five times the hits and is 13 plus minus rungs above Gavrikov despite playing 5 minutes less a night in similar deployment. Schenn also makes 3 times less, can fight and has 2 cup rings.

No way gavrikov goes for the rumoured ask.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1