The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

5 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time” (msn.com)

Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time”

Story by Canucksarmy  22m ago

In what is quickly becoming a Canucks-themed podcast, 32 Thoughts gave an update on Vancouver Canucks right-shot defenceman Luke Schenn on their Monday episode.
Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time”
Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time”© Darren Yamashita-USA TODAY Sports

image.png

Got it. This trade can happen anytime between now and the TDL…. 

:bigblush:

• RoughGame 1

Poor Schenn. He really really wants to be with Vancouver 'cause she so perdy, but Vancouver isn't sure they want to be with Schenn anymore. Meanwhile, Boston, Toronto, Calgary and other unsightly vultures are all pining for Schenn, saying "Pick me Schenn! Pick me!", but Schenn's heart is with Vancouver. Sadly, Vancouver might be ready to move on. 

Will Vancouver give Schenn another chance on Valentine's Day? :wub:

stay tuned...

2 hours ago, stawns said:

The majority of players taken after the first round never play a game in the NHL.  Sure, some do and people that focus on picks always focus on those players as if they are the norm and not the outlier.  

They need "now" or "very near future" players, not lottery tickets who may pan out in 5 years 

No we don't need right now. It's that sort of thinking that put us in this position right now. Oh Jim...

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

No we don't need right now. It's that sort of thinking that put us in this position right now. Oh Jim...

We need both.

It’s a balance though. You can’t just be throwing away 2nd round picks for guys like Vey and Baertschi, but if a player comes along the fits what you’re building you have to be willing to jump on it.

Right now we need to get ourselves in a position where we have extra assets to be able to jump on those deals when they come up though. What Benning did was borrow from our future to pay for now.  We need to be adding to our future while building now.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The right thing to do is to offer him a 2 year deal with a moderate raise.

Schenn is a veteran that is playing hard every game and helping to establish a good culture in the room.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We need both.

It’s a balance though. You can’t just be throwing away 2nd round picks for guys like Vey and Baertschi, but if a player comes along the fits what you’re building you have to be willing to jump on it.

Right now we need to get ourselves in a position where we have extra assets to be able to jump on those deals when they come up though. What Benning did was borrow from our future to pay for now.  We need to be adding to our future while building now.

I had zero issues with a 2nd for Baer.......that was strictly injuries that torpedoed that.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I had zero issues with a 2nd for Baer.......that was strictly injuries that torpedoed that.

Would prefer D and centers if we’re giving up 2nds.

Wingers are the easiest position to find. Don’t need to be giving up prime assets for them. Especially not project players.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Schenn will go for a 2nd.

If we are lucky a late first. 

If 3rd is the best offer at tdl and time is running out, consider it for sure but I'm confident he'll go for a second. 

League leader in hits

Plays a physical rugged game

The coveted Right shot right D position

Leader

Stanley cup champion

Low cap hit

+8 on an atrocious defense group

How does that not go for at least a 2nd...

I bet PA is holding out for a first or a 2nd and a good prospect. .. I know I would be... 

He's prob sitting on a few 2nds right now. 

@Gawdzukes if an offer came for a 3rd right now, would you take it?  Like a late 3rd...

I sure hope he brings a second. By your criteria he should although he's an older, slower player too for sure. Remember a contender needs more than a guy that simply doesn't suck to make their starting line-up. Depending on what has been said with Luke I'd probably take the third unless there was a strong realistic hope of holding out for something better. They should have a fairly decent idea by now. At the end of the day getting an asset back is far more important than being cute.

At the end of the day a third is far better than nothing. It doesn't stop us from re-signing him and apparently he wants to be back here. No brainer for me if you take out the emotion and idealism.

Edited by Gawdzukes

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We need both.

I still give Benning some leeway. Baer and Vey were players in that 25 age area that the Canucks did not have in their system. Benning had nothing to work with. My argument at that time was to blow it up then but fans, owners and once Linden was gone weren't on board. One of the most significant changes in the franchise this year appears to be the acceptance of some reality with the team's prospects. But to be fair this management group has far more assets than Benning did. I am not blindly defending Benning because at some point he had to realize he was chasing the impossible. (Cup play). Linden saw that and it appears Benning did not.  

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Why wouldn't a contender like Boston who is a playoff lock accommodate Schenn by granting him leave for the birth of his child? They're expecting a child, more than likely his wife would just stay put in Vancouver. Playoffs are a long ways off, I don't see why any NHL team wouldn't accommodate him for a couple of weeks. Teams acquiring a player aren't going to immediately screw around with said player's family life. 

From a Canucks standpoint they need to be willing to pull the trigger if a deal is there, there's a strong chance Schenn's expecting a child would come up as part of negotiations anyway. I'd be surprised if the Canucks didn't do their due diligence to look out for him. 

Its likely Luke Schenn and his wife wanting to be together. I doubt Schenn wants to travel back and forth, and rather just have his wife with him so he can be part of the process.

Schenn in his interview said that when he was with Tampa during the bubble, left his wife for 90 days with a 2 month old baby (2nd child) and echoed that he and his wife do not want to go through something like that again. So my guess is that Schenn wants his wife settled along with him.

• Like 1