The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is our core five good enough to win?

Rate this topic

Alflives

Is our core five (Demko, Petey, Miller, Bo, Hughes) good enough to win?  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would say no.

This group needs a defensive leader on the defence. No offence but that's not Hughes.

I don’t disagree about the need for a defensive minded partner for Hughes.  We had that guy in Tanev, but our previous GM didn’t understand that player’s importance.  Avs were nothing until they got a great partner for Makar.  They got Toews and Makar takes off.  Sadly Benning didn’t understand how important Tanev is.  

But that Tanev (Toews) level partner for Hughes is a supporting piece.  So actually we have the great core D in Hughes but are missing the support piece.  

So our core five, especially Hughes, is good enough to win!  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I say yes! 

We just need a much better supporting cast.  

But these five guys can get ‘er done. 

I see a Cup parade down Georgia in 2024. 

You've been drinking again Alffie lol!  Agree with Gawdukes......we need a stronger D.  Adding guys like Tanev would move the needle, but if you're talking about winning a cup, we need a couple of bigger, stronger defensively sound guys.  Also, the core are good offensively, but winning teams have offensive guys that are also strong on D.  Petey is there except for FOs, but the rest are MIA at times.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I say yes! 

We just need a much better supporting cast.  

But these five guys can get ‘er done. 

I see a Cup parade down Georgia in 2024. 

I'm apt to think if we ever get our whole team playing team D, unlike how we're playing now, then and only then will we have a legit shot. 

I don't know who is responsible for our D systems at the moment but it's not working. 

If we ever start to simplify our game instead of complicate it more  especially with all the new guys, then we have a shot! 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t disagree about the need for a defensive minded partner for Hughes.  We had that guy in Tanev, but our previous GM didn’t understand that player’s importance.  Avs were nothing until they got a great partner for Makar.  They got Toews and Makar takes off.  Sadly Benning didn’t understand how important Tanev is.  

But that Tanev (Toews) level partner for Hughes is a supporting piece.  So actually we have the great core D in Hughes but are missing the support piece.  

So our core five, especially Hughes, is good enough to win!  

Tanev? That would have been a mistake, a younger version of Tanev? You bet! However at his age and injury history, I'd have been pissed off if Benning had re-upped him. 

Both Tanev and Edler were simply aged out and so did their bodies with probably the worst injury record between the 2 of them is something I hope I never see again with our team. 

Anyway, Merry Xmas Mr Alien...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I think 1) it depends on whether we can get a solid shutdown replacement in trade for Bo, plus futures and 2) whether management is patient enough to let some bad contracts (Ferland, Myers, Pearson, Holtby/ Virtanen's dead cap) all fall off the books so we'd have cap space to make moves to build around the top 5.  As good as they are (and they're fantastic when they're on), teams need depth (e.g., McDavid/ Draisaitl were good but still needed Barrie for PP QB/ Hyman as their 3rd man/ Skinner as starting goalie), and currently for Vancouver there's too much inefficiently used cap space.  By trading Kuzmenko as pending UFA, plus moving Myers and Pearson by next TDL (along with Holtby/ Virtanen's cap) we'd open up to $12 million in cap space and likely add a premium asset for the Russian.  With that space and future assets, we could finally fill out and optimize the roster around them to win (read: fix the RD) before re-signing Petey.

Edited by Phil_314
  • There it is 1

I think they're very good pieces - a top 2 way center in Bo, a top skilled center in Petey who is also solid defensively, Miller who is basically a PPG winger, Hughes who is one of the best puck moving defencemen and skaters in the league and Demko who was arguably the 4th best goalie last year and has been dreadful/injured this year.

All that squad really needs is a top all around defenceman to be taken seriously, instead of OEL. A rich-man's Edler or someone like Hedman is what we're lacking.

Then of course it's the supporting cast too who aren't quite good enough, but that being said - it's only really on defence, because up front we have fantastic depth. 

So long story short - we're lacking a true top defenceman who can shut down opponent's stars...and then some defensive depth too.

I know we're a .500 team but we're arguably two players away from being a contender IMO. Throw a Hedman and then a guy like Pesce/Slavin into our lineup and we're a contender hands down. This team can out-score any team but with a proper defence, our goalies would look better and if we could keep teams to under 3 goals a game we'd be tops in the league.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

They aren't getting it done with all 5 of them on sweetheart deals this year and Kuzmenko too. Are we gonna be better when Bo Miller Pete's next contracts kick in?? We can't afford to extend Kuzz. It's not like we have a wave of youth pushing up from the farm. I think we need to cultivate the farm if we ever expect to yield anything. 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 3

Losing Bo as a core piece won’t help our chances. And honestly I think we badly need a RD core piece to be added as well as somehow keeping Bo. Tanev was arguably a core piece we are still looking to replace after almost 3 seasons later. 

Ideally we need 7-8 fixture pieces not just 4-5.  

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Losing Bo as a core piece won’t help our chances. And honestly I think we badly need a RD core piece to be added as well as somehow keeping Bo. Tanev was arguably a core piece we are still looking to replace after almost 3 seasons later. 

Ideally we need 7-8 fixture pieces not just 4-5.  

Nice to have 7 core players, but even Cup winners move on from the extra bodies.  So I’m saying five guys stay.  All others, regardless of their contribution, or support pieces.  

For example does Colorado win their Cup without stealing (in a super lopsided trade) Kadri from the LOSER Leafs?  Imagine if Dumbass doesn’t sign Pyjama Boy to that crazy contract and keeps Kadri instead.  Then the Avs don’t get a sucker stupido to steal from (getting Kadri) and don’t win that Cup.

We need to find stupid GMs, like Dumbass, to steal from.  And that will build out our support group.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think they're very good pieces - a top 2 way center in Bo, a top skilled center in Petey who is also solid defensively, Miller who is basically a PPG winger, Hughes who is one of the best puck moving defencemen and skaters in the league and Demko who was arguably the 4th best goalie last year and has been dreadful/injured this year.

All that squad really needs is a top all around defenceman to be taken seriously, instead of OEL. A rich-man's Edler or someone like Hedman is what we're lacking.

Then of course it's the supporting cast too who aren't quite good enough, but that being said - it's only really on defence, because up front we have fantastic depth. 

So long story short - we're lacking a true top defenceman who can shut down opponent's stars...and then some defensive depth too.

I know we're a .500 team but we're arguably two players away from being a contender IMO. Throw a Hedman and then a guy like Pesce/Slavin into our lineup and we're a contender hands down. This team can out-score any team but with a proper defence, our goalies would look better and if we could keep teams to under 3 goals a game we'd be tops in the league.

I disagree with the Demko bit, it wasn't like he was playing that badly, he could only stand on his head so long, same with Loungo, it's totally unreasonable to ask that when a goalie plays "good" should be enough, if not it's time to focus on team D for the whole roster. 

Why hasn't this been done yet? Idk but the D systems we're using aren't doing us any favours! 

Keeping it simple and quick works, not slow and complicated. We get burned so often because of it. 

Until this changes it doesn't matter whose on the backend, we will still lose games because of it... 

Early results look like a lot of fans think we need to KABOOM our core.  Maybe we can just move one core piece?  Two core pieces?  And we can be a winner in a couple years?  I still think these five core guys, if supported properly, can be winners.  Maybe get Gillis back?  He did it! 

Do I remember the Scottie Bowman formula?

Stud G > probably (Demko)

Elite Playmaking C > Yes (Petey)

PMD > Yes (Hughes

Lockdown D > No, No, No & No

Power F on wing > (Uhm Podz in 2 years?) (Maybe Horvat qualifies, scoring a ton net front on PP)

Shutdown Pivot > Meh, Horvat yes wins draws, shutdown?

Sniper > Yes, Petey + team support incl Kuz

Team speed & tenacity > No

Notice Miller does not surface in discussion. Horvat a question. Debate if u like, Bo is a match up body.  Does score.  Plays hard. I remain in camp that says we don't need both.  If I had my choice, would pick Bo. I also believe Kuzmenko is a better puck handler, more dangerous than Miller, in spite of last years result.

Really we need a young Tanev.  Ideally at 210lbs / 6'3''   Then I could say yes to your question.  This was OEL by design, not by result or age.

And some better supporting parts.  Particularly on D.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1