The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you think it'd be miller for Kot straight up?  Is that what you're circling around?

obviously not but give your head a shake if you think Carolina is going to give you a 1st and morrow and tack on KK as a cap dump. Every team out there knows the canucks are not in a position of strength if they want to rid miller.. heck i reckon if a team is willing to take on miller at his full cap and 7 years x 8 mil.. offer a late 1st or even a 2nd and a low prospect the canucks might do it... and if carolina is desperate for cap space and wants to get rid of KK at all cost.. they can literally buy him out and deal with a 800k cap hit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think the Rags would do Lafrenierre and Schneider for Bo.  Lafrenierre is struggling a lot.  And Schneider is behind Fox and Trouba.  With their aging core of forwards and no significant young talent coming up they would be crazy not to try and win now.  Bo helps them a lot.  And those two they’re giving up don’t.  

The Rangers have alrady said Lafreniere is not on the trade block.  Of course, if that changes closer to the deadline then moving BO for Lafreniere and Schneider is a no brainer...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

obviously not but give your head a shake if you think Carolina is going to give you a 1st and morrow and tack on KK as a cap dump. Every team out there knows the canucks are not in a position of strength if they want to rid miller.. heck i reckon if a team is willing to take on miller at his full cap and 7 years x 8 mil.. offer a late 1st or even a 2nd and a low prospect the canucks might do it... and if carolina is desperate for cap space and wants to get rid of KK at all cost.. they can literally buy him out and deal with a 800k cap hit.

KK's buyout hit is only $822,000.  So that is a good point Wai.  If he doesn't pan out Carolina can just buy him out.  

18 hours ago, SilentSam said:

All of those teams wanting Miller ,  hold the same reason this Management Group wants to keep him.    

Seasons of Consistency.

This from the same writer of that article you just posted.

(FELIP GOSSELIN)

.. and a footnote Alvin is in Boston today , hoping to talk with NCAA Prospect Dman McDonaugh.

Frank Seravalli once again found himself on most Headlines as he's stated the ideal landing spot for the Canucks captain.

''Boston could be the ideal landing spot for Bo Horvat. He would not only make Boston's Top 9 forward group one of the most formidable heading into the playoffs, but his addition also might help entice David Pastrnakto extend seeing that the window to win won't be completely shut whenever Bergeron decides to hang up his skates.'' 

The renowned NHL insider makes valid points, with multiple contracts needing renewal by the of the current season. Pastrnak will certainly want confirmation that it's in the team's plan to continue winning while he enters his prime.

Horvat would fit in nicely in Boston for sure. They have plenty of talent and they've been outstanding this season as they lead the NHL in points. They have tremendous depth, but adding another great forward could relieve some minutes off of David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron who are both agings.

They have a few interesting prospects and 1st rounders that could be moved and if they can find a way to fit Horvat with their remaining cap space, they're definitely a team to watch in the Horvat sweepstakes.

There is no Horvat Sweepstakes.

Bo would be a good fit on any team.

This article is click bait and has nothing to do with the thread title.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But the Canucks aren'y actively trying to move Miller. 

I'd suggest this is false.

I believe they're absolutely trying.  But like has been stated the likelihood of anyone giving them what they want is minimal and probably more so now with his new contract 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

KK is a 3C earning almost $5 million for the next 7.5 years.  He is on pace for 26 points.  How is trading for him going to help us?  Just because Miller is gone?  I'd rather have Miller at $8 million getting 60-70 points on the 2nd line then KK at almost $5 million on the 3rd line getting 25 points...

Potential. It's taking a bet on a under preforming player that could pay off big. The difference is the 2, is we know what Miller is. He'll put up points, but he'll also completely give up on plays after he turns the puck over. If we are trading Schenn, and Horvat (which I think we 100% should) I do not want Miller being the veteran presence on this team. 

Could you imagine being a young guy doing video work with the team and seeing the veteran leadership dogging it on the backcheck after turning the puck over. That's not how you turn this culture around. I have personally wanted Miller off this team for a calendar year now. This time last year is roughly when the Rangers rumored trade started being talked about and I was fine with taking that deal and moving on.

Miller's a good player of you have the leadership committee to deal with his attitude flaws. We do not have that, and I think there is a slim chance this dreadful culture can be turned around with him being a large part of our leadership.

I'd taken the unknown over what we know Miller to be. He has shown his true colors this year after securing the bank. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

KK's buyout hit is only $822,000.  So that is a good point Wai.  If he doesn't pan out Carolina can just buy him out.  

yup there's literally 0 reasons for carolina to trade KK + sweetener just to get rid of him when they can just eat a 800k cap hit and lose no top prospect. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Rangers have alrady said Lafreniere is not on the trade block.  Of course, if that changes closer to the deadline then moving BO for Lafreniere and Schneider is a no brainer...

if bo can get as laffy and schneider i'd be all over it too. i still think highly on lafreniere i just don't think he's given the opportunity to excel.. the rangers have his leash really short and really haven't given him an opportunity nor is there an opening on their top 6 winger position.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I believe they're absolutely trying.  But like has been stated the likelihood of anyone giving them what they want is minimal and probably more so now with his new contract 

Didn’t JR say in an interview that we tried to move several guys over the summer and found out there was no market? Might not have been Miller though.  Or we had offers for Miller where the key pieces of the return were futures and JR couldn’t sell that to our owner.  Might be the same for Bo.  Any return has to be approved by the owner and he might (still) be insisting on NHL players.  

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don't think they'd give up morrow, but they might give up Jarvis to get from under Kot's contract and add Miller. 

They are in win now mode and miller pushes them to the top of the pack, imo.  Carolina gets rid of Patches $7m deal in the off season and have Necas for one more year at $3.5.  they can afford Miller and he would help keep that window open for a few years for thrm

The first would also be, essentially, a high 2nd.

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trading Miller for JK is not freeing up alot of cap space.  You are getting stuck with a 3C for another 7.5 years at almost $5 million.  There are better deals out there than this.

And yes, Horvat is a better fit for Carolina than Miller anyways, I doubt Carolina has any interest in Miller...

Like I said, I'm not enamored with JK. If he was part of any Miller (or Horvat) deal, they would have to make it worthwhile for taking that deal on, in the form of additional pieces (likely picks/prospects) to offset his poor contact value, with players (or eventual players) on ELC's.

There's a deal that makes sense there, that includes us taking JK back. Again, nobody is suggesting it would be straight across (even with the $3m of future cap savings). But yes, I'd wager it's Horvat, not Miller.

And JK may yet develop in to a 3C worth $4+ (particularly with the rising cap).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Like I said, I'm not enamored with JK. If he was part of any Miller (or Horvat) deal, they would have to make it worthwhile for taking that deal on, in the form of additional pieces (likely picks/prospects) to offset his poor contact value, with players (or eventual players) on ELC's.

There's a deal that makes sense there, that includes us taking JK back. Again, nobody is suggesting it would be straight across (even with the $3m of future cap savings). But yes, I'd wager it's Horvat, not Miller.

And JK may yet develop in to a 3C worth $4+ (particularly with the rising cap).

I believe he will and I think he could become a Jordan Staal type of player in the right situation.

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There is zero evidence that JR is ACTIVELY trying to move Miller.  If a team like the Rangers came along and gave us an offer we couldn't refuse, then absolutely everyone is on the trade block in that scenario.  But in terms of JR calling teams right now and trying to push a Miller trade, I think that is absolutely 100% false.  The guy they are pushing to trade is Bo Horvat.  I'm absolutely certain of that and JR's direct quotes that if they can't sigh him they will trade him tells me that is true.

If Horvat isn't re-signed by the TDL he absolutely 100% will be traded...

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why?  We were really good in that playoffs.  Bo, Miller, Petey, Hughes, (Markstrom, Tanev) were all great.  Demko, of course, came in and was beyond great.  Hughes set the scoring record for a rookie Dman.  

I think Markstrom and Demko stole us a few games in the bubble.  Without them we probably don't even make the playoffs that year...

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

26 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

yup there's literally 0 reasons for carolina to trade KK + sweetener just to get rid of him when they can just eat a 800k cap hit and lose no top prospect. 

if bo can get as laffy and schneider i'd be all over it too. i still think highly on lafreniere i just don't think he's given the opportunity to excel.. the rangers have his leash really short and really haven't given him an opportunity nor is there an opening on their top 6 winger position.

Carolina ownership doesn't strike me as being a big fan of large cash outlays to pay someone not to play for them. They may very well prefer moving him, with sweetener, than paying millions to rid themselves of his deal.

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

if carolina is desperate for cap space and wants to get rid of KK at all cost.. they can literally buy him out and deal with a 800k cap hit.

That would cost them 11.5 million in cash and that $822,857 cap hit would be for 14 years. That would take some crazy desperation.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller isn't declining, he is having an off year.  He was fine for the last 4 years and our MVP last year.  I'm not writing him off just yet just like I didn't write Petey off last year when CDC freaked out and wanted him sent to Abby. 

Miller can still be traded if he is putting up 70-80 points, even at $8 million, as that is the going rate for PPG players in the NHL.  You think he is declining, that is your opinion, I think he is having an off year and will rebound next year once this tire fire is fixed and we bring in a coach with a better defensive structure and we get some better Dmen and better defensive forwards.

You don't pay $5 million for a 3C just because he is a good 200' player.  He needs to be able to put up 40 points as well.  I don't want to take a gamble on KK because he is regressing and is only on pace for 26 points this year.  If we want to get a 3C that can play defence we can find one that is alot cheaper than $5 million.

Cap space won't be an issue once Horvat, Boeser, Myers, Pearson and Poolman are off the books.  If it takes another two years so be it.  I'd rather play the young guys anyways.  Give the extra money to Petey and Kuzmenko and then we at least have a top line in the NHL.  Miller can play on the second line with our young guys and anyone else we get in a Horvat trade.  Boeser can be traded for a 3C.  Hopefully Luke Schenn can be traded for a younger version of himself like Callan Foote.  And hopefully we can sign McDonough and Livinsgstone once they are done playing college hockey.

And hopefully we get a stud player in this year's draft.  Maybe the Hockey Gods will finally be with us and we land one of Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson...

Miller isn't having an off year.  He's having a normal year.  He had a career year last year, this year, he's regressed to his mean.  Look at his year over year stats.  He's a 70 point player and $8M is a fair number for 70 - 80 points.   

Can they move Miller?  It's a big ask but if $8M is a reasonable number as I think it is, the answer is yes.  But the number of teams who really would take him are severely limited.

Allvin clearly has a lot of work to do.  I pretty much agree with the rest of what you say.

Does anybody really think that Yzerman, patient man that he is, would bring in Miller?

And then there were 3....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they'd give up morrow, but they might give up Jarvis to get from under Kot's contract and add Miller. 

They are in win now mode and miller pushes them to the top of the pack, imo.  Carolina gets rid of Patches $7m deal in the off season and have Necas for one more year at $3.5.  they can afford Miller and he would help keep that window open for a few years for thrm

The first would also be, essentially, a high 2nd.

You don't think they'd give up Morrow, playing in the NCAA... But they'd give up Jarvis, a major and successful part of their contending roster....?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Carolina ownership doesn't strike me as being a big fan of large cash outlays to pay someone not to play for them. They may very well prefer moving him, with sweetener, than paying millions to rid themselves of his deal.

If Carolina were to buy out KK this summer their total savings would be over $23 million.  And they'd only have a cap hit of $822,000.  Obviously, they are not going to buy him out this soon, but the fact his contract is so buyout friendly means they have no reason to trade him at all as a cap dump with picks and prospects attached.  He is also an effective 3C, he just isn't worth anywhere near $5 million right now.  However, Carolina does not have any cap issues moving forward.  After next season they will have over $60 million in cap space.  So they have no motivation to move KK's contract at all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I don't know why it doesn't count, you will have to ask those that feel that way.

They are out there, and there are lots of them.

I count them, there was hockey but there are some serious caveats. Like firstly one playoff run doesn't a hockey team make. Secondly they technically weren't even in a playoff spot and qualified as the 18th team or something. For me though the biggest is the non fan attended playoffs were pretty fake ... I don't really count them like other playoffs the experience and pressure of home and away games and feeling is something they couldn't even begin to replicate in the bubble. Great effort and performance to pull it off but a huge asterisk in my books. There were reports that the St. Louis players and others didn't even want to play.

Regardless you have to back it up and they stunk out the joint the next 3 years so really they didn't demonstrate much of anything there except some great individual efforts showed the players themselves are capable ... if they ever get back there.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Miller isn't having an off year.  He's having a normal year.  He had a career year last year, this year, he's regressed to his mean.  Look at his year over year stats.  He's a 70 point player and $8M is a fair number for 70 - 80 points.   

Can they move Miller?  It's a big ask but if $8M is a reasonable number as I think it is, the answer is yes.  But the number of teams who really would take him are severely limited.

Allvin clearly has a lot of work to do.  I pretty much agree with the rest of what you say.

Does anybody really think that Yzerman, patient man that he is, would bring in Miller?

And then there were 3....

And if he played winger with petey more and / or there wasn’t all these negative narratives and storylines and distractions he’d prolly be out scoring his mistakes a little more too.

he’s been better than a lot of players on the league making his current salary and his salary that kicks in next year. 

id still like to move him though if it meant being able to keep Horvat