The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Saying that the plan is straightforward is in no way true. 

They planned to re-sign Bo until they couldn’t. That’s a major deviation from their plan.

You don’t know any more than I do what they’re gonna do next. It wouldn’t surprise me if they traded Miller and it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t. 

I just hope they’re being realistic with their timelines this time.

I don't think they planned on resigning him at all. Especially how they saw the Culture Club in action for themselves. You are right, anything can happen as we don't know how desperate other GM's can get. If they are willing to sell the farm, then fine.

They said they were going to assess the team so where are they changing the plan, maybe changing in your eyes.

Just relax and let it play out.

I wonder in CBJ would be circling back to Miller.  There were rumours in the summer last year.  Obviously they won’t be trading their 1st, but maybe a package with their 2nd?

Miller

for 

Peeke (was rumored to be on the block) + Sillinger/Marchenko/Johnson (prospect) + 2nd 2023

I find it curious that somehow Miller has no value anymore while he was probably one most discussed player last year.

We all knew he wasn’t going to repeat his 99 pts season.  He’s still in pace for a 75pts season and been basically a ppg player since joining the Canucks.

Whether the Canucks signed him last year, he would have gotten his 8Mx7 this summer anyway.  So someone would pay that salary, so he must have some value.

Yes his new contract eliminates potential suitor like Tampa or Vegas who wants nothing to do with Term.  But a bubbles team with decent cap, who isn’t a primary destination for UFA should be interested.  

His worth is not going to fetch a Horvat package but should be better than get whatever we can, imo, but I guess not.

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

Another layer to the Miller drama is that keeping him in Van significantly reduces the chance of Van getting the kind of pick we all hope we do.  We can see things starting to click a little better and my guess is, that by the end of the season, they're around the 8-10 spot, at least.  Move Miller out (at least) and the odds of getting a top 5-6 pick goes up significantly.

I don't know. We're currently 6th last in the entire league. The top 3 picks are done through a lottery. We are also in the situation we are in despite Miller playing.

Is it really going to make that much of a difference at this point?

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I don't even care much at this point. I just have a hard time thinking he's gone that easily with as long as a contract that he has.

Edited by The Lock

8 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I find it curious that somehow Miller has no value anymore while he was probably one most discussed player last year.

We all knew he wasn’t going to repeat his 99 pts season.  He’s still in pace for a 75pts season and been basically a ppg player since joining the Canucks.

Whether the Canucks signed him last year, he would have gotten his 8Mx7 this summer anyway.  So someone would pay that salary, so he must have some value.

Yes his new contract eliminates potential suitor like Tampa or Vegas who wants nothing to do with Term.  But a bubbles team with decent cap, who isn’t a primary destination for UFA should be interested.  

His worth is not going to fetch a Horvat package but should be better than get whatever we can, imo, but I guess not.

It’s crazy how someone overpaid by so much for Horfat. If we are as lucky with Miller then we will get the better active player, 

like we did with Beau, and get young assets on top of that. Seriously! We got Beau, who is better than Horfat, and Raty and a first! Holy crap! What a friggin’ steal!  I’d be happy with just getting JK for Miller. But maybe we can get the steal if a deal like with Horfat? 

Edited by Alflives

31 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

People love Fried when his "thoughts" are something they like, but when they don't like his thoughts they jump on "he's just a pot stirrer." His 32 thoughts aren't supposed to be news. They are as the name implies, his thoughts. You're free to ignore them, just as we are free to discuss them. On account of this being a discussion board. It's nice to have talking points. He thinks teams are asking about Miller. Of course they are, Miller is a fantastic player. And we are a bottom 10 team and have been for the better part of a decade, damn near everyone should be on the table.

Ohhh...he knows what he's doing. I don't mind him at all. But his intent is to sometimes kick the hornets nest to create a buzz. I mean it makes him money right?

That being said, I do think he comes from a good place with most of his thoughts, so I actually really don't mind him. And at least when he gets things dead wrong he will go on live TV and apologize about the incorrectness of his statement...it's about as close as you get these days to honest journalism.

The main problem nowadays is that old school journalism is dead (present hard facts and the truth)...now you have to create a buzz, get things trending online, etc. It doesn't need to be accurate or even remotely correct...seems to be the only way they can make money is now is to take that approach...they all do it. I don't blame Elliot for that. 

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We could also do that by buying out OEL. :)

In a couple years maybe. Makes zero sense to do it right now.

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except JK could potentially be built up and flipped for more assets since he’s younger.

If not worst case scenario is buying him out. He has a very buyout friendly contract that would only carry an 800k hit long term. Worth it to acquire prime pieces.

Even less than that $800k some of those years ;) It's simply a far more manageable contract, good or bad, on a player who's age/prime years actually fits our timeline, and who likely would also include a pick and prospect coming along with him.

It's mind boggling to me that anyone can even look at our present roster/organizational situation and not see that as a better avenue :lol:

And no detractors, that's says nothing about what I think of present day Miller. I was one of the few people on this board thrilled with acquiring him, as he's a VERY good player with loads of much needed attributes. We need more players like Miller, just not Miller himself, moving forward. We should move him for assets, cap and players who fit our timeline and look for "next Miller".

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wish management was willing to really tear it down to the studs. Just don’t see it happening. 

I'm not abandoning hope until after the tdl, even then not completely until the off season........ especially if teams are poking around

• Tanks a lot 3

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

What “can of worms” am I buying into exactly?

Having the opinion that this team needs a longer term rebuild isn’t some media driven idea.

And while we’re talking about experts, even GMs aren’t experts. They get things wrong time and time again. Dismissing fans opinions because they’re not “experts” is silly.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not even sure what that means.

Haha. Yeah I get that feeling a good number of times when reading his posts/rants. I think a good portion of what he's trying to say doesn't make it into the post so you just get some wild ramblings with a thin thread of commonality in it. It's kind of ironic in that he's trying to make you look silly at the same time.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think anyone is who isn't an emotionally invested Canuck fan looks at this team and thinks it's a good bet they'll be competitive in the next 2-3 years. Can it happen, could Miller play at a high level in 4-5 years? Sure, anything is possible but these outcomes are unlikely and it's a massively risky gamble that has a low probability of working out.

I am only looking for an upward trajectory starting sometime next year and nothing more. I would not expect anything more from Miller then what he already brings. We need to trim the fat and work from there. 

I don't think its a risky gamble to think that Petey ,Demko and Hughes can start to form a team that can start winning once they get a supporting cast behind them. They finally have a coach and management who seems to know what they are doing. That in itself is an accomplishment considering what we have had to endure in the past few years.