The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

Just now, BarnBurner said:

That's really the entire point. The owner/management are a frickin' joke. Is Tocchet any better than Bruce? Does it really matter? The one above has to go. Period. Stop messing with the team. Is that clear enough? 

Management hiring their own guy is a big step forward considering they never really wanted Bruce (which was stupid to repeat publicly so much.) 

They’re also being boxed into selling this year which could be a good step.  I dunno.  

I do think if they manage to move the right pieces and get good returns coupled with a good draft I think nobody’s going to care come next season.

Everyone’s just disappointed, pissed off and pointing fingers.  Rightfully so I might add - last 2 offseasons and seasons have been abysmal off and on the ice.  Winning (or at least the perception of progress) will solve a lot.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Why. Just because Kane is a wanker? Yes. We know that. We just had to try and manage him. 

Well there’s that, which is more than enough reason for a hard no.

Then there’s the issues of cap spaces
and priorities. We need help on the blueline , pk, and truculence. Ek checks none of those boxes.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Management hiring their own guy is a big step forward considering they never really wanted Bruce (which was stupid to repeat publicly so much.) 

They’re also being boxed into selling this year which could be a good step.  I dunno.  

I do think if they manage to move the right pieces and get good returns coupled with a good draft I think nobody’s going to care come next season.

Everyone’s just disappointed, pissed off and pointing fingers.  Rightfully so I might add - last 2 offseasons and seasons have been abysmal off and on the ice.  Winning (or at least the perception of progress) will solve a lot.

Just don't win too much this year.

Next year sure. ;)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just don't win too much this year.

Next year sure. ;)

Yeah, I probably just would have let Bruce go and make Yeo or Cull take over so we keep limping along.  

I don’t see another coaching bump 2 seasons in a row and with our goaltending we’re going to be hard pressed to win against decent teams.  

I think we’re safe but it’s so easy to catastrophize as Canuck fans.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, naslund.is.king said:

This is gonna go terrible. Tocchet won't be able to fix this mess and managment and ownership is public enemy #1 in Canucks eyes.

With all the coaches we've had Tocchet will be walking in the building as the most unpopular coach without even playing a game

Truly. Honestly this could have all been avoided by letting Bruce play out the year.

The team is a broken and divided roster where half of the players are probably waiting for the call from their agent. Making a coaching change now makes no sense and won’t serve to improve anything this season. 

It really shows just how lost Rutherford and Allvin are here. The fanbase has no confidence in them at all and Tocchet won’t change that one iota. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

For once I’ll agree with you. I’ve thought about this possible struggle. And it kind of puts the FA meddling to bed because it’s clear jr does in fact have full autonomy. It does look like he had to honour FA giving BB the option year. But maybe jr drew the line in the sand. But what I don’t get is how jr got away with the public flogging of BB for so long? There was no intervention to have him tone it down. Which raises the question why did FA hire Boudreau in the first place if he backed up JRs hate of BB? 

A lot of questions were asked when this all went down. Aqua mismanaged the timing of the hires. President and GM should have been hired before the coach.

The whole thing had a “running by the seat of your pants” vibe to it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

The insanity starts at the top. 

He's an idiot, who is clearly incapable of creating a winning environment, 

Until he stops meddling with the team, we're doomed. 

Perhaps that means we get a top pick, but then what? 

He's going to screw that up too. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think saying they never really wanted Bruce has been way too often overstated.

They had the option of not re-upping him this season but they did. Bruce may not have been their first choice but he still would have been in the running.

I do not give mngt a free pass here. As far as I'm concerned Tocchet is coach number 2 already for this management group.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Jim Rutherford is so in over his head , it's unbelievable. He had no clue what a real Canadian hockey market is like. 

He was the 3rd or 4th wheel in Pittsburgh. Which is comparable to the  Vancouver Giants. Yes it's Aquilinis fault for such poor judgement. But it's also Rutherfrauds fault for taking the job. I hope he gets booed out of his chair tonight. 

that, I agree on when it comes to FA.  I don't buy that he interferes with the day to day operation of the team though.  I still think JB was alright and was working toward something, but his decision to hire two dinosaurs to run this team has been disasterous

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

A lot of questions were asked when this all went down. Aqua mismanaged the timing of the hires. President and GM should have been hired before the coach.

agreed

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

they should never fire and hire a GM mid season, imo.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Another Linden interview ... 

Living in Medicine Hat for the last year and a half. Took my girls to their first Tigers game a few months ago. I was shocked to look up in the rafters and see that the Tigers have never retired Linden’s Jerseys. I would have thought this would be a no brainer, but apparently not. Lanny McDonald was the last former Tiger to have his number raised. 

• RoughGame 1