The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

53 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

For the record,  before people get too excited:

Foote has zero professional coaching experience and only ever coached 1 'meh' season in the WHL when his son was on the team.

Gonchar only has coaching experience with one other NHL team, of which he was a former player.

Tocchet has a career losing record as an NHL coach.

All true.

Gonchar was a great offensive defenseman as well, not really known for his defensive play. He was ok as far as i remember but nothing like say foote. 

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Thinking straight: there's a way to "fire" people where you follow most HR protocols and let them know, first and foremost, of their personal business. Before you start calling prospective replacements...you let the guy know he's being replaced so he can process it before it hits the airwaves. And his wife has to call to see why he's not on the ice because rumours are leading the charge.

Emotional: we need to win/improve so screw the last coach ... onward ...we've had 53 years of this!!"

Then blame media because no one in the org straight up said we intend to fire Bruce at some point this season, Buuuuut, we really want to drag it out first. That’s horseshit. Fans are upset because the media preyed on this for so long that it hit driven into peoples heads that Bruce was being hard done by. The only truth to that perspective is that mgmt didn’t provide him enough tools. While that may be true, if you drive a vehicle that is finally proving its falling apart this year and about to be recycled,  you don’t go and rebuild the engine hoping that’s the problem solver.

This roster was reinvested into this offseason. Not in the areas folks had hoped for including myself, but money was spent to try and give Bruce some more advantage and options. But it’s a case of futility, and now we’re seeing the result of that.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some so-called fans are jumping off the Canuck ship? Okay, well, see you later when the Canucks are good again. I'm not going anywhere, I love this team and I'm happy that things are finally starting to happen. Better days ahead.

Bit of deja vu 13 months ago. 

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

First, Tocchet is a terrible human and coach. 

Terrible human?  

Wow, what's up with judging people you have never met or interacted with? 

Just now, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

So let Me guess. Psychotic rioting fans like Heffy have been harassing Tocchet already so he deletes his Twitter?

Good job Vancouver. The real embarrassment is some fans, not management.

He probably liked some tweets from people that Vancouver fans would consider "undesirables" or something. We demand uniformity of opinion here after all. 

• Like 2
  • RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Im not expecting much from the team, as long as Tocchet is the coach. Yeo is and has been a loser all through his coaching career . There was no reason to expect  it would change. I knew we were in trouble when they changed the coaching staff and hired him of all people. to support Bruce. Tocchet is a loser coach as well.

When we hired Crawford as a coach you knew things would improve because he had just wont a Stanley cup in Colorado.

When we hired AV he had a good run in Montreal and Manitoba.

What we should have done this time was look to the assistant coaching ranks of teams that either won a cup or have been able to play into June. Someone off the Avalanche staff or Tampa. Someone with a winning pedigree. Hiring a coach that has lost at every level; like Yeo, or one that has had basically no success at the NHL level like Tocchet tells me we are in for a few years of losing and JR needs a scapegoat coach. Tocchet is that coach. Yes we need a re build. Yes we needed changes. How we went about it, who we hired and what direction we go now doesnt look too bright for the foreseeable future.

This feels like when the hired Bill Laforge and his PHD pride hustle and desire disaster. Wanting accountability and knowing how to get it from the players is two different things.

So much dysfunction in canuckville. Its just keeps going on.

Wasn’t Tocchet on Sullivan’s coaching staff when they won cups in 16, 17? It’s been five years but I guess he has cup wins in his coaching resume. 

Sucking is to follow, I agree with that. I mean, we don’t have an NHL goalie so it doesn’t take a genius to see that. 

But we need to tank and rebuild so maybe it’s fine. 

I have set my expectations extremely low for the next few seasons with JR at the helm. 

• There it is 1

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some so-called fans are jumping off the Canuck ship? Okay, well, see you later when the Canucks are good again. I'm not going anywhere, I love this team and I'm happy that things are finally starting to happen. Better days ahead.

10000%

This team sucks. Did people think keeping Boudreau and Horvat would change things? I'm not saying they are the problem but tough decisions have to happen 

I hope they are making the right ones.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1