The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/rick-tocchet-pleads-guilty-to-gambling-charges-1.242663?cache=yesclipId104062%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%2Fmarvel-at-the-milky-way-where-to-stargaze-across-canada-1.4007454

Hadn't heard about this...new mgmt is definitely bringing in people who will do anything to win...we shall see where this goes. Could be the no holds bars approach needed or could be a dumpster fire. Let s hope for the former.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe jumping onto the lifeboats is self-presevervation. You can brag about going down with the ship. Ever thought that as much as we love the team, this is too much B.S. for two seasons in a row for some to handle?

Thank you.  After the day we just had for mental health, it's worth keeping in mind how important it is to take care of yours! 

• Like 2

Im not expecting much from the team, as long as Tocchet is the coach. Yeo is and has been a loser all through his coaching career . There was no reason to expect  it would change. I knew we were in trouble when they changed the coaching staff and hired him of all people. to support Bruce. Tocchet is a loser coach as well.

When we hired Crawford as a coach you knew things would improve because he had just wont a Stanley cup in Colorado.

When we hired AV he had a good run in Montreal and Manitoba.

What we should have done this time was look to the assistant coaching ranks of teams that either won a cup or have been able to play into June. Someone off the Avalanche staff or Tampa. Someone with a winning pedigree. Hiring a coach that has lost at every level; like Yeo, or one that has had basically no success at the NHL level like Tocchet tells me we are in for a few years of losing and JR needs a scapegoat coach. Tocchet is that coach. Yes we need a re build. Yes we needed changes. How we went about it, who we hired and what direction we go now doesnt look too bright for the foreseeable future.

This feels like when the hired Bill Laforge and his PHD pride hustle and desire disaster. Wanting accountability and knowing how to get it from the players is two different things.

So much dysfunction in canuckville. Its just keeps going on.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I put the whole Boudreau saga on Aquilini.  He never wants to make a change to an important management piece unless he has a replacement fully vetted and ready to step in.  FA reportedly flew to Vegas last week to meet with Tocchet.  He's given approval and Rutherford pulled the trigger within a week.

Sadly our owner is an accused criminal,  and our coach is a convicted criminal,  never did I see this day coming. Their meeting likely discussed a lot of common topics......

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Only speculating, but I’m pretty sure Hughes, Boeser, and Pettersson is part of that “country club” atmosphere.

I'm going by Petey's play. He never seems to "give up" and he hates losing. I'd say he, Kuz and Mik are probably pieces you might want to hold onto.

Hughes has looked dejected from early in the season. I don't think he's happy here. I'd move Miller, Hughes, Horvat, Garland. That should give you at least 2 first rounders and prospects as a starter. Maybe a couple of 2nd rounders too. Salvage what you can with Brock. Trade Myers after his bonus.

57 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Well at least they brought in some assistant coaches with some pedigree.... as players. We will see how they coach. I still would have much preferred this to come at year end.

Loved Adam Foote as a player .... but he was fired after less than a year as head coach of the Kelowna Rockets ... even as his son was team captain. That doesn't bode well. 

• There it is 2

No hate for the new group. But success as a player doesn't always translate to coaching. 

This team need major surgery. Bruce had one of the highest winning % as a head coach. He knows how to win.  

The current roster needs major surgery. I don't want to see a bump this season. Just get a high pick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly our owner is an accused criminal,  and our coach is a convicted criminal,  never did I see this day coming. Their meeting likely discussed a lot of common topics......

Is he accused or is he a criminal?  

40 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

This team has been hard to watch on the ice for a while. You know it’s bad when even this forum can agree on something. I’m a lifer but stockholm syndrome has set in pretty hard this year. My only hope is that somehow Petey and Quinn have been made untouchables in the locker room and the new coaching staff mandate is to piss off OEL, JT, and the rest of the overpaid dead weight to accept all trades or just retire. Sounds like a dream though. Not bad enough for Bedard and not good enough to win anything. The legacy of a Canucks fan. 

If OEL retires, is there cap recapture?

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Fans reacting like we were on the cusp of our first Stanley Cup win and JR/mgmt pulled the plug.
Kind of ridiculous. 

Well to be fair, I do also find it kind of ironic that this is the same fanbase that ruthlessly chants out things such as "fire gilllis" or "fire benning" at games but all of a sudden get sympathetic with Bruce.

However, I think a lot of people were just so emotionally invested in the situation especially since it had been dragging on for so long.

The way it was handled to brought along a lot of sympathy because of the human side of things and you could tell this was really hard on Bruce. 

Hard to find a coach that could be so personable and passionate that this fanbase collectively seems to get behind even amidst a bad record.

I don't think anyone is against the actual firing decision per say, but the way it happened irked a lot of fans.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 3