The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Liked what I heard from Tocchett. Seems like he’s going to take a very reasonable approach to the rest of the season. Understands that long term goals trump wins right now. More about teaching, evaluating and getting to know the players.

I actually didn’t even mind Rutherfords responses. I know everyone wants to crucify him but I thought he was remorseful and owned what happened. A lot of it was just media speculation and intensity driving it.

The one person I was really disappointed with today was Allvin. He’s the most responsible for this mess and he didn’t seem to own up to it too much. Looked disengaged and at times a little intimidated like he had no idea that he was to blame. Did not look like a leader with a confident direction. Seemed like a guy that is putting it on people he hired to fix things.

The president/ GM roles are sku'd here.

The fact JR admitted over stepping when asked about Hogs and Podz I think is a good step to push Allvin to work in his actual role as GM. Before that, and previous interviews Allvin just seems like a puppet.

That has to change and the real Allvin needs to step up and speak his mind, whether that's being an A-hole or whatever in the publics mind, he can't be worried about every word that comes out, Rutherfords going to squash him....

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The one person I was really disappointed with today was Allvin. He’s the most responsible for this mess and he didn’t seem to own up to it too much. 

How?  He's still the 'apprentice', every major decision still goes through JR.  JR admitted he was the one making the calls to other coaches and said things in the media he shouldn't have, stirringthe speculation.  At this point,  I have no reason otherwise to believe Allvin was simply a passenger on JR's train.  

Not to mention JR took responsibility (and good on him for doing so) and Allvin didn't say a word on that to the contrary. 

Edited by Fanuck

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ya...don't make it political bud.  This has nothing to do with liberals and it's sad that's your first take on it.

The team fired staff for specific views, it makes sense his Twitter would be scrubbed or deleted before coming in.

Thicken up a little.

Well many here are calling him a criminal and basing his coaching abilities on some gambling from years ago, I'm not the one who needs to thicken up.

Put the pitchforks away people 

• Upvote 1

Good on JR for taking responsibility for how he handled things with Bruce.

Liked many of Tocchet’s takes on Miller, ice time, the PK, etc. Sounds like he intends to redistribute ice time, reduce risky passes to the middle, and have shorter shifts and more disciplined changes.

I’m glad we made the change mid season, and that there’s no illusion of pushing for the playoffs this season. Expect we’ll still finish in the bottom 10 and get our shot at Bedard. 

I’m also optimistic on the TDL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Firing is understandable. But the botched way they handled it has crappy optics.

I honestly think it's because we all loved Bruce so much.  We were so done with Green, Desjardins etc .  Those guys didn't really get graceful firings either.  I can't remember a time when a loved coach was fired.  It was like a break up when you still love someone..

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Too much finger pointing.  Every coach is fired amongst speculation...we always know who the next coach is way before it happens.  The team is not performing and we have three legends of hockey willing to deal with the scrutiny and media...all of whom are already wealthy so it's not for money...to come and make this special. 

I've noticed in the last 10 years everyone wants to have answers and complain and trash about every perceived slight.  In tochetts day you'd settle it on the ice without whining...I this the team amd the fans could use a bit of this.

BB was left dangling in the wind for way too long, legends of the game does not necessarily translate to coaching, we haven't been good for ten years so the fan base is a litte grumpy as it looks like we are going to be bad for awhile yet. 

Edited by rekker

7 minutes ago, IRR said:

Never said it wasn’t…..doesn’t make it right or what I said wrong. 

Why do some of you have to respond like this?! Was the hand on face emoji needed? Stating a fact that some seem to ignore. 

What you think of media is an opinion not fact. You just don't like it as you think theyball should be cheer leaders for a club and keep their interest above media's own. 

That is not how this works in the real world and shouldn't be. If all media behave the way you want, we will not have gotten Chicago's Kyle Beech story. You think that is better, to let Chocago off the hook. 

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Liked what I heard from Tocchett. Seems like he’s going to take a very reasonable approach to the rest of the season. Understands that long term goals trump wins right now. More about teaching, evaluating and getting to know the players.

I actually didn’t even mind Rutherfords responses. I know everyone wants to crucify him but I thought he was remorseful and owned what happened. A lot of it was just media speculation and intensity driving it.

The one person I was really disappointed with today was Allvin. He’s the most responsible for this mess and he didn’t seem to own up to it too much. Looked disengaged and at times a little intimidated like he had no idea that he was to blame. Did not look like a leader with a confident direction. Seemed like a guy that is putting it on people he hired to fix things.

He is Swedish after all. :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Is it even a secret that Allvin’s just there as JR’s fall guy in case fans start asking for heads from management? Is Allvin even involved in decision making? Seems JR’s in total control. 

• Upvote 1