The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bobby Hull dead at 84

Rate this topic

Odd.

I grew up in WPG, and met Bobby Hull in 1975 when he was with the (WHA) Jets.

In 1996 the NHL Jets left WPG (for PHX).  I met Hull again in around 2000 and asked him if he thought WPG would ever get an NHL team again and without hesitation he said, "Not a chance".  Ah well, he had a great slap shot.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I grew up in WPG, and met Bobby Hull in 1975 when he was with the (WHA) Jets.

In 1996 the NHL Jets left WPG (for PHX).  I met Hull again in around 2000 and asked him if he thought WPG would ever get an NHL team again and without hesitation he said, "Not a chance".  Ah well, he had a great slap shot.

I would have agreed wit him on that one

stranger things have happened, I  guess

• Cheers 1

One of the greatest goal-scorers in NHL history for sure. Broke the NHL record as the first player over 50 goals in 1964-65 and broke his own record three years later with 58 goals. Probably would've had a similar goal total to Brett had he not left for the WHA. Even still, his choice to leave for the WHA was a big part of the NHL taking player rights seriously, so he contributed to the NHLPA in that way.

• Upvote 1

Bobby Hull was the first superstar I ever knew about when Chicago won the Stanley Cup in 1961. He was amazingly fast and strong and once he began experimenting with the curved blade, slapshots became so hard and wild that more and more goalies began to wear masks. Yes, in the early 1960's, only one or two goalies wore a mask and some of the old news reporters weren't impressed. They thought masks (and helmets) were a sign of cowardice, and they also thought the slap shot was a passing fad. And here we are.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ted Lindsay (not Howe) was the straw that stirred the drink in Detroit.

I remember reading a quote from another player about Ted in regards to the NHLPA. 

To paraphrase

"Hate playing against that little pr!CK however glad to have him onside for our players association"

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I remember reading a quote from another player about Ted in regards to the NHLPA. 

To paraphrase

"Hate playing against that little pr!CK however glad to have him onside for our players association"

Irony of all things is that Howe essentially played a huge role (indirectly) in the players union going nowhere:

• Vintage 1