The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta wonder what the plan is now with that 7+ million dollars this team had earmarked for Bo.

This management clearly had a plan to fit him in if he had accepted their last offer. So do they really just sit on that money? This organization has never been one to do that in past.

I wonder what targets they’d look at in free agency. You know they’re gonna spend.

Severson is probably the target

Just now, DeNiro said:

So you’re saying they were bargaining in bad faith? I don’t see that.

I think they made a fair offer. The rumour was they offered 7.5 x 7. What if he had a change of heart and accepted.

They definitely had a plan to have Horvat on the team next season. Whether they sit on that money (the smart thing) or spend it remains to be seen.

No, im saying Horvats agent made it clear they weren't interested in signing for anything under X value. 

If by some horrible miracle Bo signed the deal, they would have had to make space. There really isn't any other answer.

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta wonder what the plan is now with that 7+ million dollars this team had earmarked for Bo.

This management clearly had a plan to fit him in if he had accepted their last offer. So do they really just sit on that money? This organization has never been one to do that in past.

I wonder what targets they’d look at in free agency. You know they’re gonna spend.

Well they added Beauvillier and have rfa defenseman needing re-signed. 

They won’t have much cap next year to add as it stands. 4.8M notwithstanding player bonus overages that could lessen it further. 

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

I always go back to a nasty hit on Hoglander last year. Where he got rocked, and Horvat was the closest player to it, and he literally turned his back to it and skated to the bench.

Then this year, Garland takes a heavy glove to the face, Horvat is right there, does absolutely nothing.

There are actually lots of these examples over the years of Horvat ignoring and not having his teammates backs. 

I've played on a lot of teams, and if my captain ever left me hung out to dry like that he would have gotten an earful in the locker room. 

These things erode trust, and erode the foundation real teams are built on 

This is the culture that needs changing. I'm very happy there's at least an opportunity now to see change happen.

YES YES AND 100 percent YES

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I know, I'll get over it...I always eventually do.

I just kind of hate it when it plays out this way. Stalemates and a guy moving on because we can't "afford" him...not because we don't "need/want" him on the team. Sucks.

Bo did not want to be here, you can’t put a square peg in a round hole

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Bo did not want to be here, you can’t put a square peg in a round hole

Bo leaves for the payday which is his call. But what happens if the Canucks start winning? I'm still hoping for the #4 spot. We can't handle much winning. Hopefully PA is waiting until after happy hour in Florida and will make some more moves to seal the tank. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I still can't believe you write off 11 players injured as simply outplayed. Laughable at best. 

Yes, obviously they were not 100%, but my HEROES played in that series and did nothing! I watched those games and you cannot convince me that they simply lost because of injuries, sorry.

• Wat 1

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Bo leaves for the payday which is his call. But what happens if the Canucks start winning? I'm still hoping for the #4 spot. We can't handle much winning. Hopefully PA is waiting until after happy hour in Florida and will make some more moves to seal the tank. 

I see us with our own top 10 pick this draft and then getting the Islanders first in 2024, which will be top 5. 

• Like 1

Interesting to note that if the Isles signed Bo to an 8 year deal he’d be an Islander for as long as he was a Canuck.

Weird to think by the end of that contract he’d have as much allegiance to them.

I hope he goes somewhere shorter term. It’s a nice thought to have him come back here later on in his career.

Edited by DeNiro

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

If Riley Stillman isnt getting 24 minutes per night for the remainder of the season, then this management team well and truly has lost the plot.

Its time. Deploy him. This is his moment. He was born for this. 

Paul Bissonnette on Twitter: "https://t.co/15HY4KrVU3" / Twitter

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I already got my memes in the oven. Will Smith has a massive discography of meme potential. :bigblush:

Will Smith Will Smith Slap GIF - Will Smith Will Smith Slap ...

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Vladimir Tarasenko to 7.5Mx5 because we're another top six Russian winger away from a cup

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting to note that if the Isles signed Bo to an 8 year deal he’d be an Islander for as long as he was a Canuck.

Weird to think by the end of that contract he’d have as much allegiance to them.

I hope he goes somewhere shorter term. It’s a nice thought to have him come back here later on in his career.

79zxfu.jpg

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've already spoken at length about the Rome suspension. IMO, it had more to do with the optics of the hit (the image of an obviously concussed Horton lying on the ice) than it did some personal vendetta against the Canucks. (or trying to help his son's team win) We can agree to disagree on that.

That being said, I don't see how Campbell would have been able to influence the officials in that series. AFAIK, the director of DoPS has no such influence over on-ice officials....certainly no more than Terry Gregson who was NHL Director of Officiating in 2011 and did not have any children playing for the B's....

Not to mention Brian Burke was consulted on the hit as well 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Not saying that’s a good idea I just see it happening.

You don’t go from wanting to sign a player for 7-8 mil long term to nothing. 

Maybe they go out in FA and try and land a long term partner for Huggy like Severson? Hoping they wouldn't spend 7x7 on a player like him but I would not be shocked if they go hard after him. I think he would be better than Dumba (can't seem to stay healthy). 

If they don't go after a RD for Huggy in free agency, perhaps a 3C? Barbashev would be my choice of available FA's to slot in at 3C. Plays a hard game. A guy Tocch would love in the lineup. A 3rd line of Joshua, Barbashev, Podz could be just what the doctor ordered. We need a shutdown line that can also play the body and put the puck in the net occasionally. 

1 minute ago, KirkSave said:

Maybe they go out in FA and try and land a long term partner for Huggy like Severson? Hoping they wouldn't spend 7x7 on a player like him but I would not be shocked if they go hard after him. I think he would be better than Dumba (can't seem to stay healthy). 

If they don't go after a RD for Huggy in free agency, perhaps a 3C? Barbashev would be my choice of available FA's to slot in at 3C. Plays a hard game. A guy Tocch would love in the lineup. A 3rd line of Joshua, Barbashev, Podz could be just what the doctor ordered. We need a shutdown line that can also play the body and put the puck in the net occasionally. 

I mean with the cap space and an extra first, I would not be surprised to see them trade the Isles pick for a defender.

Might not be popular but it’s the only way they’re gonna fix the D.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean with the cap space and an extra first, I would not be surprised to see them trade the Isles pick for a defender.

I could see it happening, if they can find the right deal.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fair enough. I personally hope they hang onto it and select someone with it, assuming the Isles just barely miss the playoffs. This will be a deep draft and our D needs A LOT of work and I would rather invest in a 1st rounder but if a "quicker fix" presents itself, I do not doubt it would be way this MGMT/Organization would lean towards.

• Cheers 1