The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

4 minutes ago, Goalie Interference said:

With Mikheyev out and Boeser plus possibly others on the move, we'll need serviceable players to fill out the lineup for the rest of this year and next, when we don't expect to compete (and probably don't want to). Insulates young players like Hoglander and Podkolzin, and now Raty, from all the losing.

Eh, still underwhelmed 

At least his contract is short, only one more season after this one

Can flip him or walk away

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I get that, but management needed to fix the defence as soon as they arrived. It's been over a year, we're still waiting. I'll shut up as soon as they acquire a top-4 defenceman but I don't see that happening any time soon.

At least there are some decent defencemen around the 13-16th overall region of the first round. Gulyayev, Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellika all stand out and would be nice additions alongside a center of Will Smith or Dvorsky/Yager.

The only way this management could wrangle a top 4 RHD would be to move Petey or Hughes and high picks. Teams don't give those guys up unless you over pay.

We just don't have the assets to aquire a top 4 D while also trying to rebuild.

Patience. We have now entered the long game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

This is a deal you get for miller right now, not horvat

How do you think this compares to the reported ask for Meier who’s said to be asking $9M?

1st rounder - check

1 grade A prospect - check

1 established NHL player - yes/no?

What do the San Jose Sharks want in a trade for Timo Meier?

It sounds like three pieces.

“What I’m hearing is a first-rounder — and one Grade-A or two Grade-B prospects, or one good prospect and a young, established NHL player,” a source told San Jose Hockey Now.

That won’t be three easy pieces for a team to give up.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

At first look, it appears to be be a meh return.

Outside of media rumours it would be interesting to see who really was willing to give us more.

Happy with the 1st rounder which could be flipped for a decent RD right there but dont let it to dump F'ing salary.

Beauvillier obviously will be taking Brocks or Garlands place in the middle 6.  He was on the first line and all of his points are even strength points and has same goal output as Boeser... fast and smallish which doesn't follow the "hard to play against" idea 

Raty is the key prospect here and as a 20YO playing his first season in the AHL, doing well and looks to be a potential 3rd line hard nose centre with a heavy shot

Raty generates so much power on every release by sacrificing a quick drawback, instead taking his sweet time loading downforce into his lever-action wrister. It’s a hard, accurate shot when he has the time and space to send it on net. He’ll drive the centre lane with the puck on nearly every entry, and he isn’t shy about setting up shop at the net-front even if it means paying a physical toll on every shift. -

bye bye Brock and /or Garland or both... and just get us some $#%ing Defense puuulease!!

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

5-10 months from now it'll look good. It looked good 5-10 seconds after I read it. We weren't keeping Bo, he was a UFA at season's end. We got futures, and a guy that can be off the books after next season. A mid 1st round pick (with the potential to be a lottery pick next year) and Raty for our 9th overall pick 10 years ago is a good return imo.

A top 12 protected pick, a small fwd who doesn't score at $4.1m and a player who dropped from a top 3 spot to the security and round........you think that's a good deal for a guy who is on pace for 50 goals?

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Trading your captain when you didn't have to is horrible management. Signing a player who was still under contract for this whole season, to an 8 year deal, when he's 29 is horrible management. 

Benning's no longer the GM, in case you didn't notice, but I guess if you want to buttress part of your tenuous argument on previous management, you will. 

Allvin has no plan, and it shows. He got decent pieces back in the trade, yet failed to address in any significant way the most glaring weakness on the team.....you know, the defense. I'm looking at this pragmatically, so there's really no emotion involved here, only an observation that this team has a poor management group, on par with the previous one. 

Have to agree with everything you've said.

He should have waited on Miller, no need to resign him after a career year when he's not even in his contract year. Could have made the decision this season and sign Bo to a big extension and trade Miller for a prospect + 1st.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I hope to f*cking God he's next.  I'm not even religious, but if they trade miller I'll convert

You’re not religious? Really? Settle down, we got a decent return with a 1st round pick.

He may have left for nothing. Seems we are overvaluing our player; who may well have peaked.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

5-10 months from now it'll look good. It looked good 5-10 seconds after I read it. We weren't keeping Bo, he was a UFA at season's end. We got futures, and a guy that can be off the books after next season. A mid 1st round pick (with the potential to be a lottery pick next year) and Raty for our 9th overall pick 10 years ago is a good return imo.

Also Beauvillier at 4.5m is better than Horvat singed for 8 years at 8m. 

A small step back for a big step forward!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Why weren't we keeping Bo?????

Because they signed Boeser and Mikheyev.... when they should have known Bo would have a good season before UFA and should have allowed CAP space to re-sign him.

A simple case of poor CAP management.

Raty is a 2nd rounder who has not shown much in the AHL.  Beauvillier is a serviceable bottom sixer who is being paid too much.  The pick is a mid pack... won't get us any guarateed roster player... most likely we'll see a bottom six forward or third pairing D in 2-3 years.