The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

4 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Solid point on the Carolina/contender type team vs Isles/mid league standings type team as a trade partner. Beauvillier could be a chip as well.

Yeah honestly, if that pick stays at +/- 15...that's like way, WAY better of a pick than even 25. There's damn good players there, including some D many CDC'ers are panicking about not getting.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Seannnp said:

This is a wait and see deal to see where the dominos fall. 

Lots of people complaining but thats likely due to their lack of knowledge concerning this trade. So here are some points I want to make. 

1. Currently the 1st pick sits at 13th based on odds which is the best position we couldve gotten. Trading to a contender and we surely get a worse position. 

2. This was the best package offered - management as in every case takes the best package so its likely a defenseman worth trading for was not offered. 

3. We likely are NOT done yet with rumors regarding Garland, Boeser, Miller, Schenn, and Myers. 

4. Beuavillier was to make salary work but is a good player, under 26, only 4m on the books with 1 yr left after this and likely gets traded at this deadline or next. 

5. Bo was a rental. We werent getting Newhook, Byram, and players of that ilk - at least not without an extension in place.

6. Raty was a bonafide 1st rounder but had an underwhelming season in the SHL I believe which led to his stock dropping. Still has a high ceiling and a two-way 3rd line center floor but with top 6 potential. 

7. Schenn and 1 of Boeser/Garland/Myers are almost certain to be moved for futures and prospects. I do not see Miller being moved with Horvat now gone. 

8. Most importantly this improves our chances of improving our odds for 1st OA with the loss of Horvats production.

9. If Islanders protection works out, we could potentially have a top 5 pick next year as I see Islanders regressing if Horvat doesnt resign which I dont believe he will. He will surely test free agency. 

Raty has never played in the SHL.

Hes a fin and his D+1 in Liiga was fantastic.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Fans still living in a dream world with their imaginary return for players.

I made that mistake with Miller last year. Wanted the world when we should have just taken the best deal available. That was a dumb mindset. I'm a little underwhelmed but, for a player on an expiring deal it's not a terrible return. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Brothers/Sisters. 

This is why you don’t buy Sweaters for a team. 

Buy the sweaters for Legends. 

The owners nowadays don’t care about about their players. 

They don’t care about keeping players around unless if means they can make money off of them. 

This is not the the ‘hockey’ that we remember. 

It’s just a free for all. 

There’s no loyalty left. 

What a sad ‘new world’ we all live in. 

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. I'll still wear my captain Bo jersey proudly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ouch. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I mean so is general hockey smarts.

Smart thing would have been to not re-sign Miller after a career year last year when he wasn't even in his final year and extend Bo to a 7M deal before his contract year. There was no way Miller was going to re-create a 99pt season, and there's always a good chance a player plays out of their socks in their contract year, especially with offence going up. Any relatively smart person could have connected those dots.

Then we'd have Bo down for 7M x say 6-7 years, and Miller scoring at a 70 point pace who we could have traded or haggle down to a 6-7M deal.

Management have really done Bo and Bruce dirty here and it's a crying shame how they've treated two of the best people in hockey. I know it's all a business but don't know what they saw in Miller over Bo to pick him over our captain.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

When the factors are deadlocked sometimes it's the only way. 

Adding to this my main point is there was no straight forward decision here Horvat is a 30 goal scorer and Miller has been 70 or over point per second player since joining Vancouver and neither are actually Defensive studs 

that may well be true

but I never saw it as an either/or question until after Miller was signed unnecessarilyhow would the Canucks look right now if they got the same return for Miller?

other than being way overstocked at F.. haha

cuz D? who needs em?

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Because management prioritized Miller over Bo. Management never seemed to like Horvat. Signing Mikheyev is why we're losing Boeser, but it's not why we are losing Horvat. Management was never high on Horvat. Also, I imagine the Kuzmenko re-sign also killed any chances at Horvat. No mention of him in your crybaby post.

Remind me where Barzal was drafted again? Middle of the 1st, huh. We can play this what-if game both ways. It could be as you say, it could also be a 1st line, top 2 D talent. The fact is we weren't keeping Bo, we got some futures. It's better than nothing. And isn't as bad as people claim.

Hey Bozo, Kuzmenko could have been signed, WITH Bo if they didn't acquire Mikheyev...

They signed Kuz on the expectation he would perform as he has done... i.e. top six 20+ goals... Any moron can tell you that means if you want to re-sign him you gotta pay $5 million.  Why didn't they make allowance in their CAP planning for Kuz to live up to their expectations???  Meanwhile they had already put down nearly $5 million for Mikheyev on an extended contract... no backing out of that.  And they had extended Boeser at a high price... when all his indications were he was trending down in performance.

So where's the room for Bo when he performs as almost every UFA does... and has his best season?

It was a simple case of greed on the part of management... they wanted the whole cake to themselves in thinking they could keep Horvat for peanuts, while signing Boeser, Mikheyev and Kuzmenko... but their little recipe went sour... and instead they lost Horvat when their CAP profile ballooned.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*