The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't know. I think I'd rather tank for a potential Bedard at this point rather than worry about defense. Shoring up defense could mean we're less likely to get Bedard if we actually start to go up the standings because of it. lol

We need more than one capable d man to ruin our chances for Bedard 

Just now, jyu said:

This thread is fun. 

on one hand, we have people unhappy that we traded Bo even though it was 100% certain that he was walking to UFA. 

and on the other hand, we have people who were dreaming for a home run return that are disappointed about top-12 protection of all things and 1.25 mil of retained cap. 

then we have realists who accept the trade for what it is but are angry that others are angry about the trade. 

nice sunny day here at CDC for sure.

So accurate.  Cheers :lol:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Darn rights! Imagine if it was the other way around. The islanders aren’t looking too hot for the playoffs. Canucks fans would be up in arms just as well 

Once the Isles miss the Playoffs. This deal will look real nice. Top 10 pick, Raty, Top 15 Pick. We will have 3 solid prospects going into next season.

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Now that I have had time to digest this trade I think it's alright. It's not a home run but its not a strike out either. The problem is the return isn't 'sexy' in a hockey sense. The biggest name is going the other way but we got 3 decent assets for a guy who could have left for nothing.

Sure it would have been nice to get a defenceman but I don't think the trades are done by a long shot. Management knows the defence is a tire fire and they still have many tradable assets.

I'm willing to bet statistically speaking that this is Bo's career year. His shooting % is 22%, while his career average is 14%. In other words he can't possibly keep this up. Let someone else pay him for these types of numbers and be left holding the bag when he can't replicate them.

If Bo thinks Allvin is a tough negotiator, wait till he gets a load of Lou Lam :lol:

• There it is 1

Just now, jyu said:

This thread is fun. 

on one hand, we have people unhappy that we traded Bo even though it was 100% certain that he was walking to UFA. 

and on the other hand, we have people who were dreaming for a home run return that are disappointed about top-12 protection of all things and 1.25 mil of retained cap. 

then we have realists who accept the trade for what it is but are angry that others are angry about the trade. 

nice sunny day here at CDC for sure.

And a $4.1m cap hit next year for an under sized winger who doesn't contribute significant offence.

How will you feel if NYI are top 12 pick this year, then have a great year next season?

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

No, you are unclear on the concept.

We traded Horvat BECAUSE we signed Boeser and Mikheyev.

We could have afforded both Pettersson and Horvat if we avoided signing the two above.

Pettersson signing is good till Spring 2024... plenty of time to adjust the roster.

no mikheyev, no kuzmenko.

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

If it makes anyone feel better I'm listening to an islander's podcast and the guys are losing their minds over how stupid this trade was for them :P

Thanks!

We traded an expiring contract we could not afford to keep and got:

- a high first pick

- a top prospect which ends up being our best our second best prospect 

- a decent winger with one more year and projected to be in our top 6 (meaning Brock and or Garland will soon be gone)

What if Bo doesn’t sign in NY? Does Lou Lam over pay so he doesn’t look bad? Does Bo get normal and stop scoring at this rate? All fair possibilities. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

You do realize that if the Isles do get a top 12 pick this year we get their 1st next year? I don't understand why you think that's such a downfall.

And if they resign horvat and have a great year next year?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So if everyone on both sides hates a trade, that means it was an even trade, right? 

We got the best 1st round pick from the teams interested. We also got a 20 year old Center Prospect who could replace Bo along with a piece that is 25 who you could sell this year

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

And a $4.1m cap hit next year for an under sized winger who doesn't contribute significant offence.

How will you feel if NYI are top 12 pick this year, then have a great year next season?

beauvillier is a relatively painless buyout at least. if he sucks, cut bait. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they'd held out, perhaps a team at the top would have wanted a lynch pin and they end up with a late round first........which then means the other pieces are better.  Taking on a $4.1m cap hit for a 35 point, under sized winger is brutal 

Or Bo gets hurt?

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I am gonna lose my sh*t with people complaining about a protected 1st. Y'ALL WERE LITERALLY OFFERING BO TO CAROLINA FOR THEIR FIRST. What are you even on about at this point? It's literally bitching for the sake of bitching. Lol. This pick is more likely to be in the teens than in the late 20s. Like, do y'all even think about stuff before you complain? Is an unprotected Carolina 1st better than a top 12 protected Islanders 1st? Or does it just sound better to your 12 IQ brain? I can't, I actually can't. Y'all are something else.

Love this. :lol:

This pick is almost a sure thing to be a 17-20 overall, NYI will have to play Boston or Carolina in the first round if they make it in. Worse case scenario is Carolina finishes in the bottom 12 this year and we get screwed. 

Potential RD picks in the 15-20 range:

Lukas Dragicevic or David Reinbacher would be huge for our right side

Just now, grandmaster said:

Thanks!

We traded an expiring contract we could not afford to keep and got:

- a high first pick

- a top prospect which ends up being our best our second best prospect 

- a decent winger with one more year and projected to be in our top 6 (meaning Brock and or Garland will soon be gone)

What if Bo doesn’t sign in NY? Does Lou Lam over pay so he doesn’t look bad? Does Bo get normal and stop scoring at this rate? All fair possibilities. 

I wouldn't say high first puck.  

• Cheers 2