The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m good with 13-15th.. It’s like a 5th in other years drafts. This will be a stacked one. 

Id probably take a 13th this year over an unknown next year. Also considering our own pick this year is going to be better than 13. And its gets us prospects one year sooner as well

Edited by AV's Coin
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But it checked none of the boxes that literally every single hockey fan and analyst know needs to be checked

I think the trade is merely OK, but this is just objectively false. Our center pool is nearly as shallow as our D pool and everybody and their mother knows that we need picks. 

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Uhh I just told you. Pending UFA into multiple young assets which can be used to target those prime pieces we need to retool this roster....This isn't NHL23 where you force teams to give up prime their versions of EP and Hughes for our Miller's and horvats my friend lol...

We did the next best thing and will soon find out what the next steps are as simply trading horvat doesn't fix anything like we all know 

Office Space No GIF

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Started thinking about this trade from an Islanders fan perspective, and I’m not sure I’d be thrilled if I were a fan.

Looking at where they are in the standings, the average age of their team, and their prospect pool and this a very all or nothing trade.

Sure Bo could be the missing piece. They could make the playoffs and go on a run and then they’re not worried about it.

On the flip side, they miss the playoffs, Bo walks, and they have to give us their 2024 pick unprotected with a team that could very well be worse. Very big risk for them.

Could you imagine us trading Podkolzin and a top 12 protected pick at last years deadline in order to go for it? :blink:

If you really think about it, this is a VERY risky trade for the Islanders.  If they miss the playoffs this year and keep the pick, and if BO doesn't re-sign with them, and if they miss the playoffs next year, and if the Canucks win the lottery next year with the Islanders pick, then it's possible the Islanders would have traded Aatu Raty PLUS the #1 overall pick in 2024 for 2 1/2 months of BO...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

What?  I'm saying they're on the bubble, could easily falter this year thereby protecting their pick.  They could then resign Bo and be a playoff team next year, leading to pick in the 20's next year 

A top 12 protection is ridiculous when they're not far off that right now.  It's a huge gamble and if it blows up it's really bad for Van

Do you legitimately think the islanders have any chance getting past Boston, Toronto, Carolina, NJD or Tampa?

even IF they squeak in they will be hammered on the score board getting boston in the first round.

The islanders aren't even top 16 currently....

Side note 

Canucks draft Cory Schneider 

develop him into a Starting Goalie 

Canucks trade Schneider to NJD for pick #9(lamorello)

canucks draft, develop and eventually name #9 pick,Bo Horvat team captain.

canucks trade Horvat to the Islanders(lamorello) for a 1st, raty and Beauvillier. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No

Our biggest need(s) are RHD, RHC, Cap space

Raty is being sent directly to abbotsford.  So what needs were effectively fixed again by adding key assets?

Our spot at the top of this years draft.  This move was made with the future in mind.

Long story short nobody knows what was offered for Horvat, we got rebuilding pieces and a guy who is young enough to flourish and become another asset towards the pieces we obtained. 

We saved Cap space and moved towards a rebuild all in one move, if we get the pick this year it’s great. If it moves over to next year we saw the Panthers this year and we picked a team that is probably worse on paper. 

• Like 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think the trade is merely OK, but this is just objectively false. Our center pool is nearly as shallow as our D pool and everybody and their mother knows that we need picks. 

It's kinda hard repeating the same things over and over

For years, the core assets of need for this team have been the following

• RHD
  • RHC
  • Picks/Prospects of all types
  • Cap space

Aside from Raty who is being sent directly to Abby and a protected pick this year or sliding to next.  What has been addressed?  Raty may not play up here at all this year; which is actually a good thing.  That pick while good is only one pick.  We added cap by taking a LW back on a single year deal and addressed none of the needs of RHD or RHC that have plagued this team for over a decade.

Again, it's ok to be meh about this or feel underwhelmed but in no way does it check the boxes of most dire and essential need.

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We got a mid first round pick in a high touted draft year and a top center prospect. Could the player portion been better yeah of course, not a big Beau fan. He is signed for two years though and can be flipped for more assets. 

We don't know that and the 10-20 range is good, but just a little above average, that's why they top 12 protected.

For all we know they light up the league next year and the Canucks pick in the 20's

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Give them time

Yup.  Could definitely see the direction we seem to always be heading under this owner result in that newly acquired first being flipped for a young D man, who is coming out of his ELC, that struggled but has a draft pedigree.  Don’t want that to happen, but like you just posted, “give them time” and they might just do that. 

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yup, all of whom would make Bo more valuable.

While we wait for the arms race to pickup and the price for Horvat to increase.....

O'Reilly to Avs

Larkin to Boston

Meier to Carolina

Kane to NJ

Tarasenko to Pitt

Then what?

Point is, Horvat isn't the only upgrade for teams out there.  ESPECIALLY if you price him so high nobody can or wants to pay.  I bet management learned that lesson last year with Miller.  Hence the deal happened here 5 weeks before the TDL.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Uhh I just told you. Pending UFA into multiple young assets which can be used to target those prime pieces we need to retool this roster....This isn't NHL23 where you force teams to give up prime their versions of EP and Hughes for our Miller's and horvats my friend lol...

We did the next best thing and will soon find out what the next steps are as simply trading horvat doesn't fix anything like we all know 

Okay now lets lay out a very possible hypothetical scenario here. 

NYI is outside of a playoff position, not by much, BUT 3 less games in hand. They have 4.5 weeks to see if they will be a playoff team or not. Say they go on a skid and lose 3-4 in a row in the next 4 weeks. That will put them 6 possible games behind in a sense because they are 3 ahead now and any streak means more games for teams ahead or close behind to gain ground or further separate themselves. Come late February they will have a choice, if Horvat doesnt have a contract in place, they can now use Horvat as a pending UFA as a rental to any team in the league especially divisional teams who they could use to leverage a much bigger return. How bad is that going to look if they flip Horvat and get a bigger return alllll because we didnt wait a little longer.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Do you legitimately think the islanders have any chance getting past Boston, Toronto, Carolina, NJD or Tampa?

even IF they squeak in they will be hammered on the score board getting boston in the first round.

The islanders aren't even top 16 currently....

Side note 

Canucks draft Cory Schneider 

develop him into a Starting Goalie 

Canucks trade Schneider to NJD for pick #9(lamorello)

canucks draft, develop and eventually name #9 pick,Bo Horvat team captain.

canucks trade Horvat to the Islanders(lamorello) for a 1st, raty and Beauvillier. 

Islanders are indeed in tough, even with Bo. I think the Islanders gave up their futures and will miss the playoffs. Lou Lam gets fired end of season. 

• There it is 2

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No

Our biggest need(s) are RHD, RHC, Cap space

Raty is being sent directly to abbotsford.  So what needs were effectively fixed again by adding key assets?

We don't need to fill any needs for the remainder of this year.  We need to trade off assets for picks and prospects so we can tank hard for Bedard.  This trade accomplishes that as it makes us much weaker.  Raty will eventually fill our 2C/3C need.  Whether he's a left hand shot or a right hand shot is irrelevant.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 2C/3C wasn't a need?  It was probably the biggest need right now.  At least we have some RHD that can actually fill a spot.  As of today, Sheldon Dries is our 3C.  And that's only if Miller is playing centre...

I get what you're saying, and bringing in a center prospect was an absolutel need

But no, he's neither of those things yet, time will tell what Raty does or doesn't end up being 

Edited by Coconuts