The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

52 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Early reports saying it’s early.

i know. just stating the sentiments from the articles and "early" reports posted. That being said, if he can't skate at an NHL level he is going to have issues. So that is abit concerning. 

18 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This was the exact scouting report for Bo when he was drafted.  Hopefully we get a carbon copy.

It’s really interesting how similar many aspects of their scouting reports are near copy copies. Different players, to be sure, but same sort of early expectations, re: the 3C projection and the skating issues. Hopefully Räty makes similar gains to Horvat, working with a skating coach, and also enjoys a similar level of offensive production in his prime (maybe even with better defence and PK ability). 

I’m certainly not banking on Räty eventually becoming a 30/30 scorer and 2C, on par with Horvat, but it sure would be nice. :) 

(Also interesting to note the parallels between the Horvat trade and the Linden trade to the Islanders. Hopefully history repeats itself, Räty becomes a similar “steal” and future piece to Bertuzzi, the Islanders pick yields a McCabe level Dman, and Horvat, like Linden, eventually finds his way back to Vancouver to finish out his career.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m certainly not banking on Räty eventually becoming a 30/30 scorer and 2C, on par with Horvat, but it sure would be nice. :) 

Yeah, don’t count on that. Seeing lots of “just do what Bo did to improve his skating” like its some automatic thing accomplished by a skating coach. Bo is an inherently powerfully built man that just needed to direct that natural strength into technique. If Raty has genetically limited power potential he is simply not going to make huge strides with his skating.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s really interesting how similar many aspects of their scouting reports are near copy copies. Different players, to be sure, but same sort of early expectations, re: the 3C projection and the skating issues. Hopefully Räty makes similar gains to Horvat, working with a skating coach, and also enjoys a similar level of offensive production in his prime (maybe even with better defence and PK ability). 

(Also interesting to note the parallels between the Horvat trade and the Linden trade to the Islanders. Hopefully history repeats itself, Räty becomes a similar “steal” and future piece to Bertuzzi, the Islanders pick yields a McCabe level Dman, and Horvat, like Linden, eventually finds his way back to Vancouver to finish out his career.)

Does that make JT Miller "Mark Messier"? :shock:

• Haha 1

How has Raty looked in his first couple of games with Abbotsford?

My concern with this guy is, he should be dominating in the AHL, considering how well he handled Liiga, and he hasn't been. I know he's only 20, but just expected that his production, considering he was once considered strong contender for 1st OA in his draft class, would be about 1 point per game at the AHL level.

58 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

My concern with this guy is, he should be dominating in the AHL, considering how well he handled Liiga, and he hasn't been. I know he's only 20, but just expected that his production, considering he was once considered strong contender for 1st OA in his draft class, would be about 1 point per game at the AHL level.

He is 20 years old and basically a rookie in the AHL. 
Your expectations and concerns are your own and have nothing to do with reality.  

Give the kid some time.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Here's the catch. At some stage you need assess just waht you have. I'm sure their credentials are continually observed. You have to make your mind up not when they're a lost cause but ASAP so if you think they don't fit into you future you can still move them. The people who make the assesment are not fans but pofessional scouts

5 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

He is 20 years old and basically a rookie in the AHL. 
Your expectations and concerns are your own and have nothing to do with reality.  

Give the kid some time.  

I think people greatly underestimate the mental stress of moving overseas, learning a new culture, language, hockey systems,  food, coaching styles, smaller rink, loneliness, etc... for a 19-20 year old.  Jurmo said he is the most driven player he knows, let the Sedins nurture that for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think people greatly underestimate the mental stress of moving overseas, learning a new culture, language, hockey systems,  food, coaching styles, smaller rink, loneliness, etc... for a 19-20 year old.  Jurmo said he is the most driven player he knows, let the Sedins nurture that for a bit.

At least he will have some support in Abby. He has had a week of practice with his new coaches. Hoping for a deep Calder run which he can benefit from. Also hoping that PA does some trading before the TDL that either brings more players to Abby or allows some of the players recently brought up to be returned. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2023 at 10:40 AM, VegasCanuck said:

He will likely have to earn his ice time as he adjusts to a new system and team, no reason to panic he is only 20 years old and will be counted on to be a defensively responsible center. As we can see with the Canucks individual points arent everything, would rather him play the right way than looking to pad stats for a paycheck.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He will likely have to earn his ice time as he adjusts to a new system and team, no reason to panic he is only 20 years old and will be counted on to be a defensively responsible center. As we can see with the Canucks individual points arent everything, would rather him play the right way than looking to pad stats for a paycheck.   

Not panicking about him, just curious as to whether anyone has seen him play for Abbotsford yet and what impression is.

It's also likely that he will take time to adjust to our systems, and his lower points could also be how he was utilized in the NYI system.

I know this kid has potential, but that doesn't always translate to NHL success.

I think a reasonable (not exact) comparison could be made between Raty and Filip Chytil. 

It was a full 5 years from draft to when Chytil began contributing in a meaningful way to the Rangers line-up.  Now Chytil is producing good offensive numbers while playing 3rd line center at almost 15min/night.  Almost all of his points are coming at even strength as well - he just needs to bring his FO% up and he'd be a very good 3rd, maybe even 2nd line center that could play several different roles for the team.  If the coaching staff in Abby could develop Raty's overall game and he could be a full-time 2nd/3rd line center (depending on need at that time) for this club long-term and produce around 50-60pts/year that would be huge for our organization.