The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not really relevant.......you said he was devoud of natural talent, clearly he's not.

The quality of our defense is relevant and his play and six million cap hit is very relevant to my comment. 

Where did I use the word devoid or even state he had no talent at all ?

Räty is really an interesting player. How is it possible to slip from the consensus No1 overall to the second round of a draft? Well, the offensive production wasn't there in his draft year and that was probably the main reason why many scouts soured on him. Couple of scouts said that he can't score, that his skating is only average and questioned even his Hockey IQ. in his draft +1 year he bounced back and was almost a point per game producer in a men's league. Quite a rollercoaster ride for him in terms of offensive production. He has great hands without a doubt and the frame to become a 2C down the road. Regarding the average skating I would like to point out that Draisaitl was labelled as average skater when he played juniors. Average skating didn't hinder him to become one of the best players in this league. I have some concerns when it comes to his complete level. To me it looks like that he's not fully involved in the game when he's on the ice. In order to win puck battles you have to give 100% otherwise you're gonna lose out on it. Pretty sure that he will become a middle 6 player. Not quite sure if he reaches his full potential and become a bonafide 2C.

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Räty is really an interesting player. How is it possible to slip from the consensus No1 overall to the second round of a draft? Well, the offensive production wasn't there in his draft year and that was probably the main reason why many scouts soured on him. Couple of scouts said that he can't score, that his skating is only average and questioned even his Hockey IQ. in his draft +1 year he bounced back and was almost a point per game producer in a men's league. Quite a rollercoaster ride for him in terms of offensive production. He has great hands without a doubt and the frame to become a 2C down the road. Regarding the average skating I would like to point out that Draisaitl was labelled as average skater when he played juniors. Average skating didn't hinder him to become one of the best players in this league. I have some concerns when it comes to his complete level. To me it looks like that he's not fully involved in the game when he's on the ice. In order to win puck battles you have to give 100% otherwise you're gonna lose out on it. Pretty sure that he will become a middle 6 player. Not quite sure if he reaches his full potential and become a bonafide 2C.

His skating isn't as bad as some make it seem (I don't mean you). He's also said before that the pressure of being touted as the 1OA got to him, which is why he underperformed in his draft year. All of his highlights, though, show that he's got a high hockey IQ at both ends of the rink, and, to me, that's a great indicator of success. He also goes to the net every chance he gets. My only concern is whether he can handle the Vancouver media/pressure. If he can, he's going to be a star in a similar realm of Petey, IMO. I know, I know, settle down Canucks fans - I don't necessarily mean he's going to reach Petey's point totals, but he shows a lot of similarities with his shot, 200ft game, sneaky speed, IQ, etc. He's also got size and isn't afraid to use it. I can't wait to see him in Abby. I feel confident he'll be our 2C for years to come - time will tell. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

His skating isn't as bad as some make it seem (I don't mean you). He's also said before that the pressure of being touted as the 1OA got to him, which is why he underperformed in his draft year. All of his highlights, though, show that he's got a high hockey IQ at both ends of the rink, and, to me, that's a great indicator of success. He also goes to the net every chance he gets. My only concern is whether he can handle the Vancouver media/pressure. If he can, he's going to be a star in a similar realm of Petey, IMO. I know, I know, settle down Canucks fans - I don't necessarily mean he's going to reach Petey's point totals, but he shows a lot of similarities with his shot, 200ft game, sneaky speed, IQ, etc. He's also got size and isn't afraid to use it. I can't wait to see him in Abby. I feel confident he'll be our 2C for years to come - time will tell. 

I hope you're right. I get Steve Bernier vibes, but then again I'm bitter about this entire franchise right now 

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Yup.  We will have Petey and Raty putting up 160 + points and playing strong defensively. Our future down the middle is very bright.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

the team he was playing on played a big part, they were a passive, perimeter team.  Once he played for a team a with a better roster and more aggressive style, his numbers improved significantly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Petey takes all pressure off him so it will be fine.

I’ve said before that Räty will be his best competing with Petey down the road.

For more than one reason.