The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

In memory 2 top d-men drafted are Dale Tallon and Quinn Hughes. Tallon was the beginning of poor player development which has continued for decades. Hughes is a talent that has risen above the BS of Canuckland. Like any player management has to value Quinn and decide if moving him is a net benefit to the organization. If they misjudge then the Canucks will suffer their decision for a decade or longer. My biggest fear is that he wants to move on like his friends did in Calgary. PA has some time to figure that out. This is not a panic situation. There are more important players to trade right now. 

I agree Tallon playing on poor expansion team .. Devils trade will heat up over next 6 to 10 months when youngest Hughes brother Luke joins the  NJ Devils team..I imagine Luke will sign with Devils when his college season is over this year.

This trade will not happen, the Canucks aren't dealing Hughes, and the Devils are paying the cost to get Hughes.  But for fun....

Mercer- Young C who is already producing, looks like a very solid #2C

Nemec- Big young RD, #2 pick last year

Bahl- Giant young LD, playing well in limited minutes

Holtz- High upside winger with good size, who is struggling to find his NHL game in his d+3 season

I would do this trade, I think we would be a far better team.  I doubt the Devils would do Nemec straight across though.  

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, GB5 said:

For the Canucks to trade Hughes who is a player unlike any other to have ever played in Vancouver then jersey would need to offer a ridiculous lopsided offer.

to VAN

marino

mercer 

nemec

shakir 

2023 1st and 2nd + 2024 1st

to NJD

hughes

schenn

rsthbone

Not happening you say? exactly.... Jersey can either make it really worth it or buzz the hell off.

But that isn’t to overpay.

To have the triplets splahing records around them for fiftern years is an insane marketing tool for the Devils that is worth probably three times the players you think is overpayment.

PA just have to convince the Devils of that. :bigblush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You won't get some crazy haul for Hughes.  Quinn is an excellent defenceman, but a team is not giving up 5 or 6 assets for him. 

I think any package starts with Nemec and a 1st.

Then you add in a roster player, and MAYBE a smaller add-on (B prospect or 2nd round pick)

So...

Nemec

Wood

1st

2nd

or to make room on the LHD...

Nemec

Siegenthaler

1st

These proposals of Nemec + another top tier prospect + 1st + good roster player would never happen.  Nemec is worth so much that I don't even think NJ would move him for Hughes.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Thats ridiculous NJ doesn't make that trade..Your key players  Nemec RD 18 - Mercer 21 W-- 1st rounder 2023 -- 2nd rounder 2024

Bahl 22 LD

I meant it to be.

My point being that if anyone want Hughes they need to give a ridiculous offer over and above the standard player + pick + prospect that has been bumped around.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, first of all, they are in like 4th or 5th place, so they are doing nothing like that this year, why mess with something that is not broken............

But since I deal in fantasy

I think, It would be Severson for cap, Nemec, and a 1st

Add another prospect and I would definitely be looking favourable at it. 

We gotta give to get... its that simple. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You won't get some crazy haul for Hughes.  Quinn is an excellent defenceman, but a team is not giving up 5 or 6 assets for him. 

Then you add in a roster player, and MAYBE a smaller add-on (B prospect or 2nd round pick)

So...

Nemec

Wood

1st

2nd

Nemec

Siegenthaler

1st

These proposals of Nemec + another top tier prospect + 1st + good roster player would never happen.  Nemec is worth so much that I don't even think NJ would move him for Hughes.

Please explain how Nemec will raise the Devils value? 
He is nothing compared to Hughes. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Please explain how Nemec will raise the Devils value? 
He is nothing compared to Hughes. 

By developing into a top pair RHD that will help them potentially win playoff rounds.  I think he'll be better than Hamilton.

When you have:

RHD - Nemec, Hamilton, Marino

LHD - Hughes, Sieganthaler, Graves

7D - Bahl

That's a Stanley Cup winner in my mind.  Win Cup = WAY, WAY more revenue than having 3 brothers with the same last name.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

By developing into a top pair RHD that will help them potentially win playoff rounds.  I think he'll be better than Hamilton.

When you have:

RHD - Nemec, Hamilton, Marino

LHD - Hughes, Sieganthaler, Graves

7D - Bahl

That's a Stanley Cup winner in my mind.  Win Cup = WAY, WAY more revenue than having 3 brothers with the same last name.

They can fix that after they got all the brothers collected. 
And no, the cup isn’t more revenue than the brothers as a marketing tool unless they win five in a row or something ridiculus like that. 

Edited by Timråfan

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

They can fix that after they got all the brothers collected. 
And no, the cup isn’t more revenue than the brothers as a marketing tool unless they win five in a row or something ridiculus like that. 

I disagree.  Winning Cups is the ultimate marketing tool. 

If you think having 4 Sutters on one team, or multiple Stromes, or Staals generates more revenue than a Stanley Cup win, you are delusional lol

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If you think having 4 Sutters on one team, or multiple Stromes, or Staals generates more revenue than a Stanley Cup win, you are delusional lol

I gotta disagree HKSR

If you win a cup and then a losing season right after, they will still tar and feather the coach, and GM...........fans have a short memory span, IMHO

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

In memory 2 top d-men drafted are Dale Tallon and Quinn Hughes. Tallon was the beginning of poor player development which has continued for decades. Hughes is a talent that has risen above the BS of Canuckland. Like any player management has to value Quinn and decide if moving him is a net benefit to the organization. If they misjudge then the Canucks will suffer their decision for a decade or longer. My biggest fear is that he wants to move on like his friends did in Calgary. PA has some time to figure that out. This is not a panic situation. There are more important players to trade right now. 

Yes Tallon is largely overlooked.  He set the NHL record for points by a rookie defenseman that year (beating Bobby Orr's record, the first rookie defenseman to ever score 50 I think) and then we didn't develop him.  And very shortly after we had Jocelyn Guevremont, who himself would have set that record if not for Tallon...and then we didn't develop him.  Guevremont was very good...made the 1972 Canada vs. Russia team.  We actually had two potentially near-franchise level defensemen to start things off 50 years ago, arguably in some ways the two best rookie defensemen of all time, on the same team...and waited another 50 with no Cups for Hughes to arrive.

Guevremont was -28, -42 and -37 for the Canucks in his three seasons, then went to Buffalo and was immediately +33, +47, +26 and +25.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe. But this is big business. Simulators are run, consultants are talked to. If the Devils think having all three Hughes, Americans will drive up revenues, they will pay up. If they offer up a deal you can't refuse, you need to seriously consider it.

1 hour ago, LTC123 said:

I too think that we over value QH:

I'd argue the exact opposite. The guy is unreal as is, but when he had an actual top 4 guy who matched his playing style on his pair he was absolutely dominant. His value to this team is huge. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

So...

Nemec

Wood

1st

2nd

Nemec

Siegenthaler

1st

I think most people here understand that the actual offer New Jersey would make in this hypothetical is likely different than what Quinn’s worth. It’s hard to imagine a player of his age, position, and caliber being traded while locked up longer term on a very efficient AAV. 

Considering those factors, if I were GMPA it’s going to take Nemec, Mercer, Holtz, and an unprotected first rounder before I consider the trade. I still think it’s arguably not enough for Quinn and I’m fairly confident New Jersey wouldn’t want to pay this much. They can both be true. 

• Thanks 1

With rumors that there have been leaks to me I would sit everyone down and if a trade like this happen and gets leaked fire everyone involved if leaked.But you have to take a trade that makes you better.  

2 young guys and a replacement D plus first I would be all over it.