The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

Nemec

Mercer

2023 or 2024 1st

2023 2nd

Ya, I'd do it.  I'd hate it.  But with rumours of Rutherford deciding he's done trying here.  This is 100% something he'd do before walking.

I'd also not hate it much myself either, but I'd be not totally sold on those picks.

But Mercer an RHC newfy, Nemec an RHD; both under 22 and RFA status and two extra picks for Hughes....

I mean

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Nemec

Mercer

2023 or 2024 1st

2023 2nd

Ya, I'd do it.  I'd hate it.  But with rumours of Rutherford deciding he's done trying here.  This is 100% something he'd do before walking.

I'd also not hate it much myself either, but I'd be not totally sold on those picks.

But Mercer an RHC newfy, Nemec an RHD; both under 22 and RFA status and two extra picks for Hughes....

I mean

and both likely to be impact players, Nemec likely an elite dman

Not sure if trading Hughes for anything other than a massive overpayment is smart..

That being said, I'm honestly so far past the point of actually caring.. I don't see any realistic path to being a contender as we sit right now, without moving an asset or two like Hughes, I think that rebuild/retool timeline is just going to drag on forever. 

10 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Not sure if trading Hughes for anything other than a massive overpayment is smart..

That being said, I'm honestly so far past the point of actually caring.. I don't see any realistic path to being a contender as we sit right now, without moving an asset or two like Hughes, I think that rebuild/retool timeline is just going to drag on forever. 

It has been 50 plus years of Canucks hockey.  No Cups and I'm resigned to no Cup anytime soon.  At least with Hughes we get to see something we've never seen before in a Canucks uniform.  He'll be the first 70 point defenseman, the first 80 point defenseman, the first 500 point defenseman and if he sticks around and stays healthy...the first 1000 point Canucks defenseman and a Hall of Famer if he achieves that.  That said...I would move him for the right package, but that package would have to be something spectacular.  Back in the day Chelios got back a declining Denis Savard, Housley got back a declining Dale Hawerchuk.  Chelios was the only one of the four that was a real playoff beast.

Paul Coffey brought back Craig Simpson who led the NHL in playoff goals for the 1990 Oilers Cup run.  But Coffey went on to win a Cup of his own in Pittsburgh and came pretty close again a few times in Detroit and Philadelphia.

The Kings traded a 31 year old but still prime effectiveness Rob Blake for two first round picks and some warm bodies.

Anyway...in the meantime the most interesting thing for me is to watch Hughes rewrite the Canucks record book, at least in terms of achievable goals.  Obviously the team is pretty far away from achieving anything.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

2 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

There is literally an armchair gm and proposal board for this stuff 

Again, give me a rumour thread on CDC where people don't post their proposals here anyway.

This is normal for here. Are you trying to change the norm that everyone's used to? Is it that big of a deal to you?

Edited by The Lock

Just now, Jester13 said:

OEL - Nemec

Wolanin - Bear

Dermott - Schenn/Myers

Still not good enough. 

It's worse. You can argue 4/7 of the guys there are fringe NHL calibre players, and 5/7 on a contender. 

There is just no solution for the backend when we have to carry OEL's contract. That move f**ked our team completely. 

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nemec

Mercer

2023 or 2024 1st

2023 2nd

I mean

I'd do this, absolutely. It would re-write this franchise. Hughes will be close to the end of his contract by the time this team has turned it around. Why not start the infusion of quality youth now and bring the team up together behind JT and EP.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I disagree.  Winning Cups is the ultimate marketing tool. 

If you think having 4 Sutters on one team, or multiple Stromes, or Staals generates more revenue than a Stanley Cup win, you are delusional lol

You are making an absolutely false dichotomy.

They are better on the ice with Quinn Hughes for the next 2-4 years than they are with any of the pieces people are talking about coming back.  They are more likely to win a Cup by adding a guy like Quinn, so it isn’t just a marketing play.  It is improving the team AND a great marketing play, that is why it would be a compelling idea.

Defence don’t often come in and dominate right away.  Nemec and Luke are a ways away from being anywhere near as good as Quinn and they may never be.

Contending teams still try to improve to get a leg up on other contending teams, they don’t just say “hey we are pretty good… let’s stand pat”

As opposed to an older team like Pittsburgh or Washington trying to add a piece to extend a contending window… Jersey adding a high end veteran right now opens up their contending window  sooner and wider.  Any of Quinn, Miller, Boeser, or Garland makes them better now compared with prospects, picks, and guys at the bottom of the roster right now.

So once you understand that Jersey is better in the short term by a move like this, you can also consider the longer term.  They remove some high end prospects/assets that would be useful to manage the salary cap down the road.  On the other side, they also have leverage in extension talks with the Hughes brothers.  If they want to play together they can’t screw the team for every cent.  Jack is already locked up, then you can keep a lid on Quinn and Luke’s next contracts to keep them together.  That long term benefit can offset the loss of some ELC contracts.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

You are making an absolutely false dichotomy.

They are better on the ice with Quinn Hughes for the next 2-4 years than they are with any of the pieces people are talking about coming back.  They are more likely to win a Cup by adding a guy like Quinn, so it isn’t just a marketing play.  It is improving the team AND a great marketing play, that is why it would be a compelling idea.

Defence don’t often come in and dominate right away.  Nemec and Luke are a ways away from being anywhere near as good as Quinn and they may never be.

Contending teams still try to improve to get a leg up on other contending teams, they don’t just say “hey we are pretty good… let’s stand pat”

As opposed to an older team like Pittsburgh or Washington trying to add a piece to extend a contending window… Jersey adding a high end veteran right now opens up their contending window  sooner and wider.  Any of Quinn, Miller, Boeser, or Garland makes them better now compared with prospects, picks, and guys at the bottom of the roster right now.

So once you understand that Jersey is better in the short term by a move like this, you can also consider the longer term.  They remove some high end prospects/assets that would be useful to manage the salary cap down the road.  On the other side, they also have leverage in extension talks with the Hughes brothers.  If they want to play together they can’t screw the team for every cent.  Jack is already locked up, then you can keep a lid on Quinn and Luke’s next contracts to keep them together.  That long term benefit can offset the loss of some ELC contracts.

I stopped reading after "They are better on the ice with Quinn Hughes... "  Right there is a conclusion drawn by YOU.  Nobody knows that the NJD will be better with Hughes while losing a good roster player, a top tier prospect in Nemec, etc.  People also thought Selanne and Kariya would put the Avs over the top...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

So why would Jersey give up 2 elite pieces and a 1st for a "one dimensional dman?"

because Nemec is a ways off and they're in win now mode and because they want the marketers dream of winning a Cup with three elite American brothers

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

because Nemec is a ways off and they're in win now mode and because they want the marketers dream of winning a Cup with three elite American brothers

I believe you have successfully undervalued Hughes, while over valuing NJ magic beans.

• Like 1