The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Arturs Silovs, loan Spencer Martin to Abbotsford

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, tas said:

speaking as someone presently at an abby canucks game, can we pretty please send spencer back up just for the night?

he's broken. 

Yes, that's what happens when you have the clown show D in front of you which Demko, Martin and Delia have had all season.

A goalie who is not really talented and really mentally tough simply breaks down.

Understand this, and you understand just how good Demko was last season before his injury... and how good Markstrom was in his last couple years in Van.

Which is why I really don't want to see Demko rushed back into service... he needs to be 150% ready physically AND have an improved D in front of him.

If Silov gets one or two games, it won't hurt him... he is probably more confident right now than either Martin or Delia.

1 hour ago, Tinky-Winky said:

Sigh, dont want him here since we tanking, also dont want him to experience how bad the canucks d is :(

I doubt he plays, Delia will start until Demko is ready.

Still though, if the culture is rotten then it be best to keep him away from that.

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Thats awesome give Silovs some time with big club..

Silovs -  21 -6'4   developing nice in Abby GP 35 - GA A -2.48-- S% 906-- Nice to play another 35 games next year in AHL and come up to big club when they start playing better.....

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I doubt they are going to play him. 

They are probably bringing him up to give him an NHL paycheque as a good job.  

He might dress and back up a game, but I doubt the plan is to bring him in to get lit up behind our dog pooh team. 
That’s bad management 

Further to @D.B Cooper , Silov's minor league salary is about $1000 per game. His NHL salary is close to $10,000 per game. So this is a nice bonus ($9000) for a guy making $70,000 per year. Also, he gets a chance to get to know the players and coaches on the big team. 

It would not make sense, in my view, to play him against a strong Ranger team behind the Canuck D in it's current state. He has not even had a chance to practice with the big team to get a sense of how to coordinate with the skaters on dump-ins, etc. I expect Delia to start and Silovs to be the backup then return to Abby for the weekend.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Further to @D.B Cooper , Silov's minor league salary is about $1000 per game. His NHL salary is close to $10,000 per game. So this is a nice bonus ($9000) for a guy making $70,000 per year. Also, he gets a chance to get to know the players and coaches on the big team. 

It would not make sense, in my view, to play him against a strong Ranger team behind the Canuck D in it's current state. He has not even had a chance to practice with the big team to get a sense of how to coordinate with the skaters on dump-ins, etc. I expect Delia to start and Silovs to be the backup then return to Abby for the weekend.

I heard as much on 650 today.  They're expecting Demko to back up in the Philly game on Saturday.  That would give him as many as 5 games before the deadline.  Does anybody think that's enough?  Does anybody think they're serious about moving Demko?  There's nothing to it imo.

13 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hope it doesn't end up like a MDP shellacking.  :sadno:

MDP was a 19yo OHL goalie who was playing on a very decent team, that got brought up because of poor management on an emergency basis, and played against a juggernaut of that time (Meier, Hertl, Thornton, Evander Kane, Karlsson, Burns, Pavelski etc..) behind a poor D group. 

Silovs is young but has shown promise at the professional level, and has (unlike MDP), absolutely no pressure and can focus solely on getting NHL reps. 

• There it is 1

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I heard as much on 650 today.  They're expecting Demko to back up in the Philly game on Saturday.  That would give him as many as 5 games before the deadline.  Does anybody think that's enough?  Does anybody think they're serious about moving Demko?  There's nothing to it imo.

Unless he wants out or they get an offer they can't turn down, I doubt the demko rumours have much merit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Unless he wants out or they get an offer they can't turn down, I doubt the demko rumours have much merit.

Yeah, it would have to be an amazing offer I think for the Canucks to think about moving him. And I think it was our media creating the Demko wants out rumour.

Not sure I expect him to get NHL game action, has been solid in the AHL, but I don't get the feeling he is ready to face NHL shooters. Don't want to break his confidence like this organization did with DiPietro.

This is likely a call up to reward him for a solid past few months for Abbotsford, sit in the pressbox, see the game speed and soak in the NHL atmosphere while also making an NHL salary for a bit. 

11 hours ago, JamesB said:

Exactly. Meet the players and have a few practices then back to Abby. He does not have to be shelled by the Rangers to learn something. He has something special shaping up in Abby. A long Calder run will do him and the other young players more good. When they send him down I hope they send Podz and Aman as well. 

• Cheers 1