The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I know these are being said in jest, but Benning didn’t even have Lockwood-level prospects to trade.  It was Horvat and nothing.

(He did move Shinkaruk for Granlund.) 

Tough to have prospects to trade when Benning continuously traded picks away.

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It's not that at all it's the fact they have been on the job for how long and have only brought in Bear. I agree there is nothing but with Rutherford's pedigree I just thought he would have pulled a rabbit out of the hat at some point. Goes to show how important drafting is.

New management group in place for just over a year yes, I liked the Bear trade and thought the Dermott trade could have worked out but those injuries ruined that nicey nice feeling of moving off Hamonic. Stillman can fill a depth role if what we've seen of late is him establishing his NHL game.

I do like the fact the team or Rutherford simply came out upfront and said he had thought they were going to be able to address the defense and move on some contracts and found it to prove more difficult than anticipated. Nothing wrong with trying and although there just doesn't seem to be much movement on the defense side of things they have time to address this moving forward. I think the draft if they hold position and get to utilize the Islanders 1st this year they could snag a good defenseman.  

• Cheers 1

Not sure I’m vibin’ with the Canucks turning into Team Russia of the NHL. A bit of Russian flavour, sure….but…I don’t know about this.

This kid is about 90% towards “bust” territory but if he turns into something then I’ll give Rutherford/Allvin their due credit. My expectations of this occurring are NOT high however.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Master Mind said:

Tough to have prospects to trade when Benning continuously traded picks away.

That’s not how time works - more like tough to have prospects when Gillis drafted at what I’d wager was a historically poor average.

It’s also more a comment about what current management has inherited for this “re-whatever” vs what Benning picked up. Benning has still left infinitely more useful, younger, pieces than what was left to him.

• Cheers 1

Kravtsov has had a difficult relationship with the Rangers right from the beginning.  He clearly has

a lack of trust in the management.

His numbers in the KHL are very good.  At 17yrs old, he shined in the playoffs in 16 games -6-5-11pts

and that's what made him a 9th overall.  Scouting reports indicate a top 6 player with good speed

and excellent offensive instinct. 

I liked Lockwood, but always thought of him as an AHLer who occasionally gets called up.  Kravtsov

has a lot of upside in comparison and his comfort level coming to the Canucks should be a positive

factor.  I'm thinking he is one happy young man right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

New management group in place for just over a year yes, I liked the Bear trade and thought the Dermott trade could have worked out but those injuries ruined that nicey nice feeling of moving off Hamonic. Stillman can fill a depth role if what we've seen of late is him establishing his NHL game.

I do like the fact the team or Rutherford simply came out upfront and said he had thought they were going to be able to address the defense and move on some contracts and found it to prove more difficult than anticipated. Nothing wrong with trying and although there just doesn't seem to be much movement on the defense side of things they have time to address this moving forward. I think the draft if they hold position and get to utilize the Islanders 1st this year they could snag a good defenseman.  

That and I think college free agency will be key this year. They should be doing everything they can to get Livingstone. He will automatically become one of the Canucks top d which is also sad to say but they almost can't miss out on him, especially if he is from BC and wants to be here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I know these are being said in jest, but Benning didn’t even have Lockwood-level prospects to trade.  It was Horvat and nothing.

(He did move Shinkaruk for Granlund.) 

This trade has more to do with cap leverage than the value of Lockwood as a prospect. NYR is going all in on Kane.

Benning could have chosen to use his cap space for deals like this rather than going all in on  UFAs. 

Even if you aren't sold on management it's great to see us leveraging cap space as a weapon. 

• Tanks a lot 1