The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

1 minute ago, Ralph. said:

Like Ehrhoff nearly 14 (!! :shock:) years ago. Obviously completely different players/values, but the point is valid. Return isn't always based on solely on that value.

Yes, they were in a rush to make way for Kane, and we waited it out very opportunistically. From a late 1st, to a 2nd, to Hoglander, to Lockwood and a 7th.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Lockwood has 18 points in 26 games in Abby.  There's plenty of offensive upside to his game.

Zero issues with the trade, but let's be honest about what it is based on........being the 9th oa pick

How do you think a player becomes a 9th overall pick to begin with? From standing around looking pretty or through actually being a good prospect?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

How do you think a player becomes a 9th overall pick to begin with? From standing around looking pretty or through actually being a good prospect?

I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, but as far as this trade goes, that's about all there is for positives in his pro career so far, wheras Lockwood has worked hard and shown something. 

I think it's a fine enough trade and taking a low risk homerun swing is fine with me.  I like russian players, so it's all good.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, but as far as this trade goes, that's about all there is for positives in his pro career so far, wheras Lockwood has worked hard and shown something. 

I think it's a fine enough trade and taking a low risk homerun swing is fine with me.  I like russian players, so it's all good.

Lockwood's shown something in the AHL sure, but I'm not convinced on him in the NHL if I'm being honest, and it was my thought of Lockwood even before this trade happened.

Perhaps in a way I almost got the same vibes of Lockwood as I did Hodgson 12 or 13 years ago. Here we has a center behind the Sedins and Kesler with almost an entirely different style of play to the rest of the team and not really suited to the 3rd line, so I always wondered where Hodgson would fit in. So I have to ask what the end result would have been with Lockwood anyway.

Edit: And this is no knock on either player by the way, it's just of what is that player going to bring to the team that we don't already have? What is the grand scheme of things? It's great that a player works hard, but working hard isn't always enough.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Don’t want to read too much into a single interview, but man, it sure felt like Kravtsov’s confidence and self-belief took a big hit during his time with the Rangers. Kinda rough watching him. Kid seems unable or unwilling to say anything good about himself, which you rarely see in elite athletes. Even the most humble guys will talk about their strengths and the parts of their game they’ve built up through hard work. But Kravtsov seemed unable to speak about himself that way. Maybe even unable to see himself in the positive.

Obviously it’s bad that his development got mismanaged to the point that he seems almost broken/fractured after that experience. But what a chance the Canucks have to rebuild this player. If he settles in here, surrounded by a supportive room and a bunch of Russian friends, and just focuses on getting better every day, enjoying himself and having some some fun again, and he gets the assistance and resources he needs from the coaches and development staff, I could really see this kid having a complete renaissance in Vancouver.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

New York has gone as far as they can go in his development. Wouldn’t be the first player that needed a change of scenery.

McCann didn’t find his game until age 23 and a couple team changes.

I'd argue McCann could have been developed within the Canucks organization but hey Gudbransson is a thing .

But the Canucks have struck out in reclamation projects the past 10 years including first founders like Baetrschi and Goldoubin 

26 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Don’t want to read too much into a single interview, but man, it sure felt like Kravtsov’s confidence and self-belief took a big hit during his time with the Rangers. Kinda rough watching him. Kid seems unable or unwilling to say anything good about himself, which you rarely see in elite athletes. Even the most humble guys will talk about their strengths and the parts of their game they’ve built up through hard work. But Kravtsov seemed unable to speak about himself that way. Maybe even unable to see himself in the positive.

Obviously it’s bad that his development got mismanaged to the point that he seems almost broken/fractured after that experience. But what a chance the Canucks have to rebuild this player. If he settles in here, surrounded by a supportive room and a bunch of Russian friends, and just focuses on getting better every day, enjoying himself and having some some fun again, and he gets the assistance and resources he needs from the coaches and development staff, I could really see this kid having a complete renaissance in Vancouver.

Yep, he deflected that question about his strengths at least twice.

Changing scenery to a team that’s not pressured to win, surrounded by familiar faces, could be gold for him.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I'd argue McCann could have been developed within the Canucks organization but hey Gudbransson is a thing .

But the Canucks have struck out in reclamation projects the past 10 years including first founders like Baetrschi and Goldoubin 

Baer was a positive reclamation project until he was derailed by concussions.  Naslund and Bertuzzi were obviously major ones, and we have had our fair share of failures.  This one is no risk, and he has the potential to be something pretty good.  Shown it in the KHL but didn't really have the opportunity in NY unless he jumped into top 6 production instantly. 

We have 23 games in a low risk environment to see what we have in him and hopefully a few other reclamation projects.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Baertschi wasn’t a strike out he was a serviceable middle 6 forward until that cheap shot in Vegas. 

• Upvote 3
  • Tanks a lot 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

That is the kind of stuff that cannot be understated. Sure we should temper our excitement but the kid is joining a very welcoming environment and a coach that just showed discipline towards Kuzmenko ( CDC was losing their minds about him sitting ) and is steering him in the right direction to learn to play properly. Kuzmenko has been putting the time in, Podkolzin has been putting the time in and both have been rewarded.  Kravtsov was given no such opportunities to learn in New York let alone have fellow countrymen, friends going through what it takes to make the lineup. The Ranger coaches have a history of not working with or giving opportunity to young players needing that coaching and direction. Look at Zac Jones, he is not a dog crap of a player he is in the same boat and give him a fresh start with opportunity and who knows.

Language barrier can be huge.  Pods and Tryamkin both really struggled at first to understand what the coaches wanted and fit in with the team.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Looks more like a Hodgson for Kassian situation 

Similar yeah. I’d argue given their strengths theres faaaaar more upside with Kravtsov than Lockwood. I like WL but he plays a style of game that will be tough for him to maintain at the NHL level. Kravtsov is very much still untapped. 

• Upvote 1

This is a fantastic grab,   My hat goes off to management.

Kravt

Kravtsov wanted to be in Vancouver for a long time, and now his dream has come true” – player agent

By
 Emma
- 
 February 25, 2023
f2bf43b44f77a4e8e01ec3de155a0a8d605cfc8a

hockey player agent Vitaly Kravtsova Dan Milstein commented for on his client’s exchange of New York Rangers V Vancouver Canucks.

Kravtsov, 23, was traded from Rangers today. In return, the New Yorkers received forward William Lockwood and a seventh-round pick in the 2026 draft from Vancouver.

“We have been working on a trade for Kravtsov from the New York Rangers for over a month. Vitaly wanted to be in Vancouver. He learned about the deal during the Washington-Rangers game, which he did not participate in. He was in the arena, in the press box, and then the news came.

Needless to say, Vitaly is very happy with this turn in his career. It was neither a surprise nor a shock. On the contrary, his dream has come true. We have been preparing for about 45 days for what has happened now. And now Kravtsov has found himself where he wanted to be,” Milshtein told a correspondent.

As it became known to , Vancouver has been interested in the Russian striker for the past three weeks. But initially Vitaly’s price was too high. However, it all hinges on whether the Rangers get Patrick Kane from Chicago. Therefore, New Yorkers are now unloading the asset and Kravtsov’s price has been reduced.

Kravtsov played 48 NHL games during his career, in which he scored 10 (5+5) points. Rangers selected him with the No. 9 pick in the 2018 rookie draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

Rocks friend.. and frozen.. that shit hurts

about a dozen of the "super bouncy balls" in a long sock works wonders, plus if you hit something hard you get the bounce back and conserve energy for the next swing.

or so I've been led to believe...

Really excited for Kravtsov, I can't remember the last time we had a big power forward prospect. Even more thrilled learning that he wanted to be in Vancouver for a long time.

Edited by GhostsOf1994
  • Cheers 1