The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

5 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Either way you put it, at the price point, it doesn't really matter if Kravtsov works out in Vancouver or not. We gave up nothing.  

However, I am not expecting a whole lot. There is a ton of potential, like so much, but there are a lot of concerns as well. 

From what I have heard from unbiased Rangers fans there are character issues with Kravtsov. He doesn't put in the work that he needs to or that has been asked of him. He's not dedicated enough, doesn't work hard enough, and has some diva tendencies. The Rangers, on all accounts seem to have handled him in the same way Allvin and co. are saying they will handle development. You earn your place. That mantra hasn't really been accepted by Kravtsov up until this point. He didn't earn a spot, get's sent down, pouts about it, protests and bolts off to Russia. A little Tryamkin with some Virtanen out of shape to camp combo. 

What needs to happen here is a shift in mindset and I don't think there is a better chance of that happening outside of Vancouver in terms of the NHL. That's probably the most valuable thing in this trade. We just happen to be the place that Kravtsov has the highest chance to pan out at. I base that on the Milstein mafia we already got employed with a little Sergei Gonchar magic.

Now, in regards to the player, he's super skilled, fast, got great offensive instincts and is sneaky good defensively. He is however one missed opportunity away from busting hard. He wasn't even good in the KHL and had the same type of issues there. His team also demoted him because of his lack of effort and attitude.

At the price point, it doesn't matter, but this is likely a huge nothing burger in the end. I love the potential though so I still love this trade from our perspective. 

Seeing his friends on the team putting in the effort and learning to play the right way could be enough to handle any character issues aside from Tocchet being coach.

• Cheers 4

14 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Between this and the Horvat deal, management is doing well with trades.

There is a fine line between strategy & tactics.

Strategically our asset management has definitely improved.  Kuzmenko was a found commodity, as was Mikheyev. Now (hopefully) Kravtsov.  Miller was not allowed to be a lost asset, nor Brock for that matter. Which has made Horvat, potentially Boeser, others, Beauvillier? Expendable. While not achieved yet? Cap management is a stated parallel goal.

Tactically?  Kuzmenko is not the 6'4'' beast defenseman, or secondary PMD we need(ed) so badly. Gillis was so good at targeting exactly what was required. At a lower level?  I am not disappointed with Joshua, Lazaar. Not that they have solved our PK yet! When positive moves are happening; I can believe the balance is coming...

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Seeing his friends on the team putting in the effort and learning to play the right way could be enough to handle any character issues aside from Tocchet being coach.

Yup, that's what I am hoping for. If he can't make it here, he won't make it anywhere else. Time to grow up and step up sort of thing. 

We've been hearing from Tocc that the other Ruskis are reaching out to Gonchar on the regular, putting in that work, realizing there are areas to improve. Combine that with them all being friends prior to this and that they seem to enjoy being around each other. They will all be in Kravtsovs ear, perhaps a worthwhile sit down, player to player can help. 

That whole thing is why I care to be a little hopeful. 

Edit: Perhaps I am being a little too hopeful now, but just had another thought. If you compare the social situation, Rangers vs Canucks. Rangers have had a ton of young players now that have really struggled to develop. Kakko, Laf, Chytil etc. I wonder how that environment was. I am sure they have all sat around and muttered about things to each other. A lot of negativity there.. This is truly speculative and very biased in our favor, but perhaps there is something to it. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Nice add for not much. 
That’s what you get for not being a small Swedish winger Will. 
Good luck to Lockwood. I liked his game but don’t think he can score at NHL level. 
The Russian enclave grows. 

Canucks Russian tank team............................image.jpeg.c11483e12a08da69c6ae29e2fc1d44ed.jpeg

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Podkolzin has gotten credit?  At every level, including by guys like JT Miller. And Larionov back in Russia. That he flies over the board and skates hard, first in practice, last out.  Will block shots, go in the corner to win a puck. Comes in shape, doesn't complain. Green, Bruce, they have all liked him, even if he needed work...

Its infectious, beyond just with coaches I am sure!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

It remains to be seen if it's even a gift. He refused the AHL, twice if I recall. If we had a prospect do that we'd want him gone with the quickness. Except Tryamkin, fanbase loves that big idiot no matter what for some reason.

He is waiver eligible and would surely be claimed if we tried to send him down so that point is moot. However....

Screenshot_20230226_053539_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I would think there is a very good chance the team signs Bear and lands Livingstone which could be big for this club moving forward.

Back to Kravtsov, this kind of deal presents itself you jump on it and take advantage. Make no mistake the Canucks made a very astute trade oozing with potential to work well.

Bear is pretty Meh and Livingstone is a pretty huge ? in all regards. Still tonnes of work to do there.

Good deal on Kravtsov though. Hopefully he seizes the opportunity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

It remains to be seen if it's even a gift. He refused the AHL, twice if I recall. If we had a prospect do that we'd want him gone with the quickness. Except Tryamkin, fanbase loves that big idiot no matter what for some reason. I am excited to see what Kravtsovs got, but I think people really do tend to get out of hand. I seen people say he's good defensively and called him a powerforward. But that's the nature of other team's prospects, they're more overhyped. Then when they come here and don't meet those lofty misguided expectations the fanbase turns on them and they suck.

He's not a two way guy and he's not a powerforward and we don't even know if he'll be a legit bottom 6 guy, let alone come close to those 9th overall expectations. He has 10 points in his career. I want to see him in action, but I think we should tone down the expectations til we see him play. Buuuuut, we won't. People already have him slotted in the top 6 for us at some point.

I very much agree. I am very so so on this guy. That being said I think our coaching staff here will give him 2nd or 1st line opportunities right off the bat to see what he has. So I can’t help but be excited to see what he may have. He has such a small amount of NHL games it’s anyones guess what he could turn out to be.

I do think it’s one of those 50/50 shots. Either he makes it in our top 9 and flourishes or he bolts to KHL. There is no in between. And I’m ok with that kind of risk. We did not pay much to get him.

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Cant really complain about losing a long shot and a lottery ticket, but im starting to question whether or not allvin understands what game hes involved in. 

He does realize he cant build hotels even he collects enough wingers to fill a roster down to the goalie position, doesnt he?

His game is asset management 

Acquire equal or better players for free so we can move existing players to acquire prospects and picks 

Slowly upgrade different parts of the roster and restocking the cupboards 

then spend from abundant assets to fill important gaps (like top defensemen) 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I very much agree. I am very so so on this guy. That being said I think our coaching staff here will give him 2nd or 1st line opportunities right off the bat to see what he has. So I can’t help but be excited to see what he may have. He has such a small amount of NHL games it’s anyones guess what he could turn out to be.

I do think it’s one of those 50/50 shots. Either he makes it in our top 9 and flourishes or he bolts to KHL. There is no in between. And I’m ok with that kind of risk. We did not pay much to get him.

I beloeve he will start in AHL to learn the system since they won’t risk loosing him on waiver.

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I beloeve he will start in AHL to learn the system since they won’t risk loosing him on waiver.

He was on the Rangers roster. We would have to waive him to move him down (that's why we got him so cheap)

Edited by coryberg

We need to keep this train going. Jim Nill said he's not interested in paying high picks for rentals. Sounds like term doesn't scare him? Beauviller to Dallas. Eat some expiring cap ( my favorite capdump khudobin ) and gain nice picks / prospect along the way. Opens more opportunities for the younger wingers

33 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Great job by PA to wait until price was a low as could be with the Rags nuts in a vice 

I agree that trading hogz would have been lateral at best and trading a first would have been silly for a winger for us 

I’m surprised no one else had a better offer 

I think your going to see the Canucks take on some salary in a Kane deal for the Rangers. Bit of a handshake favour coming up.

• Cheers 1