The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, if we're gonna pay through the nose in terms of picks or prospects, then make sure it's for a really well established player.  Hronek is on pace for over 50 points this season.  That would put him among the top 15 best seasons by a Canuck defenceman in the history of the franchise!  Put that into perspective!

What I will be watching next year is how Hronek on the 2nd pairing helps Hughes game. It has to take some focus off Quinn. Actually they both should benefit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

What I will be watching next year is how Hronek on the 2nd pairing helps Hughes game. It has to take some focus off Quinn. Actually they both should benefit. 

That's the hope.  Imagine if Hronek becomes a 60+ point defenceman.  Having an 80+ point D on the 1st pair in Hughes, and a 60+ point D on the 2nd pair :D

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Well, I've slept on it, and I've come to the following conclusion:

I wish we didn’t trade our two best picks in the deepest draft in decades, but management disagrees with building a long-term contender and will push the rebuild down the road some more, so they're going to make a go of it with our core of Petey and Hughes (two future greatest Canucks of all time), so LFGoooooo!!! I'm in, because I have to be.

Accept the things you cannot change and have the wisdom to know the difference, as they say. 

I just hope Hronek stays healthy and works out and we don't crash and burn right away but actually do make a go of it. The alternative is continued mediocrity, and I'm tired of that. 

To be fair, we didn’t actually trade away our best pick this year, and if we hit on that, we could be a sneaky good team in a couple years. 

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

What happened to the "Major Surgery" JR?????? 

This has Aqualini impatience & JB "Re-Tool" written all over it !

Captain Horvat gone

Schenn gone

Boeser is going

maybe Miller too

things are happening, and TDL isn't until tomorrow

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Ballard, Gudbranson, OEL. 

Sunk cost fallacy. No matter how bad he is we will pay him big money in the next offseason. Given he is in his prime now, we are a bottom feeding team, and there are a tonne of red flags with the player I can’t see this not ending terribly. Same feeling I had when we made those other three trades 

Not really seeing much if anything to refute that this isn’t an absolutely horrific trade 

He's, arguably, Detroit's #1 dman and the Canucks are now the only team in the league with two dmen in the top 20 D scorers.  

The probability that the Isles pick would yoeld a player that good is pretty slim 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, if we're gonna pay through the nose in terms of picks or prospects, then make sure it's for a really well established player.  Hronek is on pace for over 50 points this season.  That would put him among the top 15 best seasons by a Canuck defenceman in the history of the franchise!  Put that into perspective!

Here's the thing that people lose sight of.  That NYI pick was slated to be used on one of the very few RHD in the middle of the 1st round (probably not Reinbacher as he may not be around) .  So whomever we pick, we would need to develop for at least a few years before we even see them on the team.  If they turn out to be a top 4 like Hronek, it would be a big win for us.  But there is also a risk that they don't make it to the nhl or become just a bottom pairing D.  The additional 2nd rounder was the price we paid for getting the right pick, developed into a top 4 with certainty.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's the hope.  Imagine if Hronek becomes a 60+ point defenceman.  Having an 80+ point D on the 1st pair in Hughes, and a 60+ point D on the 2nd pair :D

We have to be very excited about the potential. Pairing these two with reliable d-side partners is still out there. Maybe today will help with that.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Thanks Dixon. 

Kind of funny that one of the folks we all look towards for rankings prior to the draft, gives Allvin an A+....

Maybe its not so bad after all. 

Yes, especially if Räty almost takes Horvats place himself. If so it’s almost flabbergasting good.

• Cheers 1

i have no idea how i missed this trade yesterday.... Incoming Rant and Delusion! read at your own risk!

This is huge... absolutely a steal.... PA did amazing so far this year....

since they took over we have traded away Hamonic, Horvat, Schenn, Dickinison, Lockwood, Motte and our 2023,2024th 2nd, 2023 5th and 2025 7th for 2023 3rd, two 2023 4ths For Dermott, Bear, AB, Raty, Bloom, Kravtsov and Hronek...   

2024 cap Out 2.265M in 8.85M but we didnt have to sign Bo for 8.5 million...

as i see it we have 3 offending contracts... OEL,Pearson and Boeser... I think we must buyout Pearson at minimum... prefer to wait on OEL to see if his injury rumour is true

way too many top 9 forwards, 8 in Total... I think we should trade 2, preferably Boeser/Garland and one of Podz, kravtsov or hoglander for a  established 23 - 25 year old 3C with term or a 'A' tier prospect...

if we bought out pearson, traded away garland/boeser and hoglander we would have 10.5 million in cap to improve in the off season... hopefully to pickup a good defensive 3c like Ryan O'Rielly and sign a 4 million dollar shutdown dman... Which will leave us plenty of room to re-sign EP next year...

Imagine our group as this.

AB - EP - Kuz

Kravtsov- Miller Garland

Podz - O-Rielly - Mikheyev

Lazar- Aman- Joshua (im sure this can be improved upon they can all be demoted at no cost)

Hughes - Hronek

OEL - Myers

and the third pair can be a pool of... Schenn, Mayfield, Graves, Soucy, Gavrikov, Severson,Dumoulin, Holl... A pool of 6'2" +205 or bigger defenseman... and maybe Bear... we can afford max 5 million for this pairing, preferably4M ...

Demko

Silovs?

and we can go for it! and finish 9th in the west! The Dream!

Edited by Cup_Joneser

21 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

I have preached to trade everyone for 1st round picks for like 6 months now. We need a rebuild.

We traded our captain for a first round pick. I thought we were finally rebuilding. We had a direction.

Now we are expending huge draft capital to retool defense.

so like, now what's the plan?

Were probably in the exact same middle of the pack meddling place in another 6 months. Not much better and not good enough. 

They traded for a player that had one good season on the bottom feeder team that when they start getting good they jettison the chaff.

The player cannot even play and the injury might be more devastating than just something that can be rehabbed.

Folks praise how good this guy is or has been, on a losing team. Remember Gudbranson looked good too, until his shoulder flared up and then his game changed from being an offensive threat to a hulking defensive defenceman, something Hronek cannot do, as a matter of interest might be he loses the puck more than he takes it away from other players.

Capped out with  Petey probably wanting the same type of money Pastrnak got but no space, a huge amount of money spent on wingers, trading for castoffs, worse, players that cannot play so this trade cannot be gauged for months because even if he plays this year it will be with him recovering so he gets a pass.

Fans totally ignored, taken for granted and kept in silence. Be seen, not heard.

So they plan to have ONE single media availability so they can make the agenda and divert answers to what they want, so many things to talk about so they can waste time with lengthy answers to questions not asked. Manipulate and control the media presser.

At the presser "Okay you have 30 minutes to talk about, item one, item two and nothing else" Or they trot out Aquilini to distract questions.

For the love of Chris* why don't they have the johonas to talk to fans? Not one has been talked to since them being here, not one fan has had any access to a senior management type. I understand that if they did they would select an idiot with stupid questions just so they could make the fanbase look childish and ignorant.

With all the lack of contact with the fanbase they should have a 3 hour presser.

What a mistake it was for Rutherford to sit back, now it is like having Benning back in the driver seat. They live in a fantasy world.

Hey there are a few more injured players, maybe a 1rst for Voracek just so they have LTIR for the cap overage they have created.

More CAP NEWS;

Another RSN went bankrupt today, that makes 3 in the last 10 days and WILL affect the CAP, so being over is even worse now. No way will Petey sign a long term deal now because it could be taxed. Remember when they cut all contracts by 25%, it could happen again.

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

5 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

CDC: begs for management to get young, team controlled RHD. 
Management: trades for young, team controlled RHD. 
CDC: bashes management despite getting the exact thing they ask for. 

As a fan base, we’re never going to be satisfied or happy. It’s kind of funny. I could just imagine if we somehow got McDavid today. 
CDC: he makes too much money and has too many years left. Fire everyone. 

Once again, this is an inaccurate take...

The people who were "begging" for the RHD are happy with the deal. Those of us who wanted to hang onto those picks are unhappy.

"CDC" does absolutely nothing as a monolith....

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's, arguably, Detroit's #1 dman and the Canucks are now the only team in the league with two dmen in the top 20 D scorers.  

The probability that the Isles pick would yoeld a player that good is pretty slim 

That is not at all what I am hearing out of Detroit. Turnover machine, played well early in the year but has been horrid as of late. They are celebrating and blown away by the return - few  Wings dans seem disappointed.

if we traded Hughes for a mid 1st and 2nd our fan base would not be happy at all 

Unless we are a contender next season or he is injured most of the year and we don’t pay a penny over his QO and he comes back strong there is little chance we come out ahead or even on this deal

Edited by canucklehead44

5 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

CDC: begs for management to get young, team controlled RHD. 
Management: trades for young, team controlled RHD. 
CDC: bashes management despite getting the exact thing they ask for. 

As a fan base, we’re never going to be satisfied or happy. It’s kind of funny. I could just imagine if we somehow got McDavid today. 
CDC: he makes too much money and has too many years left. Fire everyone. 

I think people would be happier with getting Hronek if we got him in a trade for Miller or Boeser. Nothing wrong with the player we got; the issue is whether a bottom 6 team with a dreadful prospect cupboard should be trading a first and second round pick in a deep draft. I’m quite ambivalent about this. The other side of the coin is building around Petey and Hughes so they stay here. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm off the "rebuild" mindset as it's clear as day it will never ever happen under Franky. 

I HOPE we can find a strong defensive LHD along with hronek and signing livingstone for our right side. The potential of our top 4 would would be light-years better than what we roll with now or really anything we have in the last 10 years

We thought Benning liked to trade picks, PA is like hold my beer Jim this is how you trade picks. In just over a year he's traded a 1st,2x 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a 6th and I feel like I'm probably forgetting 1. Oh yeah a 7th and I feel like a 5th was traded but you get the idea.

Edited by thrago
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Please explain how it isn’t given where we are in the standings and Hronek having only 1 year on his contract left with a $5M QO?

Do really take issue with a young RD having the year Hronek has had on a $5m QO?

Interesting times ahead.  Just don't see how they can keep all these players without some sort of salary dump by tomorrow or during the draft week.  They have 4 players on IR plus a bunch on LTIR and have cap space of about 3M+.  OEL is on IR and will take up 7M+ when he comes back. Then they have to resign Ethan Bear as he is a UFA.  Mikhevev is another 4.7M when he is off but not till next fall - think the mgmt and capologist have a bit of work to do.  Never boring in this Canucksville.