The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

11 hours ago, stawns said:

That was my D #, though I played fwd too.

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Weird. 

Not all that weird....

Larry Robinson: The greatest defenseman no one talks about - Eyes On The  Prize

FTR, I wore 19 like Big Bird and although I was mainly a forward, I also spent a fair amount of time on defense.

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

There's one solution to fix all this then. Tear it all down including Pettersson and Hughes. 

What you say is true but it just means we are stuck in this vicious cycle of being bad or mediocre because Canucks try to patch a team to support Pettersson and Hughes. Maybe it would be best to do a full rebuild w/o any pressure of doing it during their primes.

This is just it....

With Petey, QH and Demko we would not be able to do a full rebuild, as they wouldn't wanna hang around for that.

However if this doesn't work over the next 3-4 years, a whole sale should happen (a total tear down and start from scratch)... 

Should probably have happened 5-6 years ago, but Benning cut corners and brought in Miller (great trade but bad timing) and later the OEL trade, to halt the influx of prospects.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not all that weird....

Larry Robinson: The greatest defenseman no one talks about - Eyes On The  Prize

FTR, I wore 19 like Big Bird and although I was mainly a forward, I also spent a fair amount of time on defense.

Damn I miss the Bird!  No one could rush and cut to the net like he could.  I watched a Habs-Bryins playoff game from '78 over the Xmas holiday and he was such a joy to watch

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would he be a buyout candidate?

Ballard, Gudbranson, OEL. 

Sunk cost fallacy. No matter how bad he is we will pay him big money in the next offseason. Given he is in his prime now, we are a bottom feeding team, and there are a tonne of red flags with the player I can’t see this not ending terribly. Same feeling I had when we made those other three trades 

Not really seeing much if anything to refute that this isn’t an absolutely horrific trade 

Edited by canucklehead44

15 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Your constant attention to his +/- rating would indicate that this metric holds a lot of value in your assessment of players. 

I used Larkin as an example of how +/- means nothing when it come to the value of a player.

I'm just curious as to why you hold so much value in a player's +/- rating?

For Dmen it sure does. 

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is just it....

With Petey, QH and Demko we would not be able to do a full rebuild, as they wouldn't wanna hang around for that.

However if this doesn't work over the next 3-4 years, a whole sale should happen (a total tear down and start from scratch)... 

Should probably have happened 5-6 years ago, but Benning cut corners and brought in Miller (great trade but bad timing) and later the OEL trade, to halt the influx of prospects.

I was having that thought this morning as well.  About 5 years ago is when we should have sold on Marky and Tanev despite being in the playoff race.  Not traded for Toffoli.  Oh well.

but right now?  Now, it kind of makes sense to try and aggressively build around Petey and Hughes.   They aren’t 19/20 anymore.   They’re either worth building around or not at this point - and darn is is hard to say they aren’t worth it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Ballard, Gudbranson, OEL. 

Sunk cost fallacy. No matter how bad he is we will pay him big money in the next offseason. Given he is in his prime now, we are a bottom feeding team, and there are a tonne of red flags with the player I can’t see this not ending terribly. Same feeling I had when we made those other three trades 

Not really seeing much if anything to refute that this isn’t an absolutely horrific trade 

Reality check, it isn't a horrible trade at all.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Everybody wants to rebuild and keep Pettersson and Hughes. They are mutually exclusive plans. Pettersson is the best center we've ever had and Hughes the best Dman. We can't give that up. 

Getting Hronek is a solid start to a re-tool, and many chips are yet to fall. We address our biggest need, while building around Pettersson Hughes and Demko.

This is an extremely good move. The price was interesting, but draft picks aren't gonna do shit for Pettersson Hughes and Demko. 

Exactly.  It's time we actually accept what management has said all along.  They are NOT rebuilding.  They are RETOOLING.  Which means do not expect them to stockpile draft picks.  Expect them to find players with the following characteristics:

1.  20 to 25 years old

2.  Established that they can play and contribute effectively in the NHL

Y'know who I'd love to see the Canucks acquire?  Noah Hanifin. 

Hanifin next to Hronek would be incredible.  Could probably be our top pair, and so imagine letting Hughes loose on the 2nd pair to just focus on offensive damage.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

I have preached to trade everyone for 1st round picks for like 6 months now. We need a rebuild.

We traded our captain for a first round pick. I thought we were finally rebuilding. We had a direction.

Now we are expending huge draft capital to retool defense.

so like, now what's the plan?

Were probably in the exact same middle of the pack meddling place in another 6 months. Not much better and not good enough. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  It's time we actually accept what management has said all along.  They are NOT rebuilding.  They are RETOOLING.  Which means do not expect them to stockpile draft picks.  Expect them to find players with the following characteristics:

1.  20 to 25 years old

2.  Established that they can play and contribute effectively in the NHL

Y'know who I'd love to see the Canucks acquire?  Noah Hanifin. 

Hanifin next to Hronek would be incredible.  Could probably be our top pair, and so imagine letting Hughes loose on the 2nd pair to just focus on offensive damage.

And at least they are acquiring good players relative to what they are giving up...Hronek is top end for a high price, Bear is a solid D for a low price, etc. They are receiving comparable value, unlike the last re-tool where JB's group really struggled with targeting useful NHL players and/or overpaying for sub-par NHL players.

Just now, XxNaslundxX said:

I have preached to trade everyone for 1st round picks for like 6 months now. We need a rebuild.

We traded our captain for a first round pick. I thought we were finally rebuilding. We had a direction.

Were probably in the exact same middle of the pack meddling place in another 6 months. Not much better and not good enough. 

Heres a little hopium for you though

We have a very potent top-6 and an elite offensive defenseman that supports it

We have a potential top-10 league wide netminder

One of our biggest issues last year in lopsided possession metrics was the fact that we had one single defenseman that was capable of controlled zone exits (Hughes). Now we have 2 that are not only capable, but among the best in the league at it. Add to the Salo-esque shot from the point. 

What we really need now is a couple defenseman that can effectively kill penalties, and a center who can kill penalties (Bo wasnt very good at it, other than winning faceoffs).

If this management team can address those 2 needs, we actually have a really good team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

Thanks! You must be the only person in this world with this knowledge!

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

Just now, 5nothincanucksohno said:

And at least they are acquiring good players relative to what they are giving up...Hronek is top end for a high price, Bear is a solid D for a low price, etc. They are receiving comparable value, unlike the last re-tool where JB's group really struggled with targeting useful NHL players and/or overpaying for sub-par NHL players.

Yeah, if we're gonna pay through the nose in terms of picks or prospects, then make sure it's for a really well established player.  Hronek is on pace for over 50 points this season.  That would put him among the top 15 best seasons by a Canuck defenceman in the history of the franchise!  Put that into perspective!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1